GoPro cameras have monopolized the action camera market for years, but that’s changing. Companies are starting to produce better quality cameras at lower prices than GoPro, forcing them to step up their game.
The GoPro Max and Hero 11 are two of the newest models in this fight, each with unique features that make them stand out from their competitors. This guide will highlight the differences between the GoPro Max and Hero 11 so you can decide which one is right for you.
Let’s get started and compare these two action cameras!
GoPro Max vs. Hero 11: A Side-by-Side Comparison
|GoPro Max||Hero 11|
|Year of Launch||2019||2022|
|Release Date||October 2019||September 2022|
|Dimensions||2.7mm x 2.5mm x 1.6 inches||2.79mm x 2.16mm x 1.32 Inches|
|Weight||164 grams||153 grams|
|Waterproof||Up to 5 meters||Up to 10 meters|
|Battery||1600 mAh||1720 mAh|
|Bit Rate||Up to 78mbps||Up to 120Mbps|
|Max Battery Video Runtime||105 Minutes||137 Minutes|
6 Must-Know Facts About the GoPro Max and Hero 11
- The GoPro Max, costing approximately $499.99, is a far more user-friendly 360-degree action camera than the Fusion, the company’s first model.
- The software tools for working with 360-degree video are much better now, twin memory cards are unnecessary, and the camera features a touch screen making it convenient to change the settings.
- The Max can record 360-degree video at 5.6K total spherical resolution at 30 frames per second; actually, it can record at an astonishing 6K, converted to 5.6K after stitching together the two video streams.
- GoPro Max was launched in October 2019, and GoPro Hero 11 was launched in September 2022.
- The GoPro Hero 11 and GoPro Max are waterproof, but the Hero 11 can go up to 10 meters at a maximum, and GoPro Max can only go up to 5 meters.
- The Hero 11 and Max have a higher battery video runtime of 137 minutes and 105 minutes, respectively.
GoPro Max vs. Hero 11: What’s the Difference?
The GoPro Hero 11 and the GoPro Max are today’s most popular action cameras. There are many factors to consider when deciding which is best suited for your needs, including size, design, durability, weight, price, battery life, and waterproofing. Let’s break it down below.
The Hero 11 has a smaller form factor, making it more comfortable to wear around the neck or wrist or clip onto your helmet while mountain biking or snowboarding. The GoPro Max has a more significant form factor that can stand up better against harsher conditions like high winds, heavy rains, and dirtier environments like bike trails or hiking trips.
It’s everyone’s joy to own a durable camera. These action cams have some water resistance ability but vary in how well they withstand impacts from hard surfaces like rocks or cement walls. The GoPro Max stands up much better to these types of drops. It also has an updated display that is easier to see in direct sunlight and underwater due to its brighter screen.
Having a waterproof case for your camera is a plus because it will play a big role in its durability. While the GoPro Max and the GoPro Hero 11 are both equipped with waterproof cases, it’s important to note that only the GoPro Max has a waterproof case that can dive as deep as 5 meters. The GoPro Hero 11’s waterproof case can reach up to 10 meters below sea level.
The GoPro Max‘s battery video runtime can last up to 105 minutes, while the Hero 11 lasts up to 137 minutes. Although the GoPro Max doesn’t have as much battery life as the Hero 11, this may be due to its slightly larger screen and additional features. Also, their battery capacity is different. The GoPro Max‘s battery capacity is 1600 mAh, and the Hero 11 towers above it at 1720 mAh.
Everyone will always consider their budget before adding a product to a cart. The GoPro Max costs $479.99, and the Hero 11 costs $399.99. But, key differences like bit rate and megapixels might make one a better choice than the other, depending on what you plan to do with your action camera.
- 5.3K video that gives you 91% more resolution than 4K
- Water-repelling lens cover
- 27MP photo and 5.3K60 video
- HyperSmooth 5.0, AutoBoost for maximum stabilization
It is always important to consider the weight of your camera. The lighter the camera, the more portable it is. The GoPro Max weighs around 164 relatively light grams. The Hero 11 weighs 153 grams which makes it lighter than the GoPro Max.
Also, their dimensions differ, so that is why the Hero 11 is lighter. The GoPro Max measures 2.7mm x 2.5mm x 1.6 inches, while Hero 11 measures 2.79mm x 2.16mm x 1.32 Inches.
Pros and Cons of the GoPro Max
|Pros of GoPro Max||Cons of GoPro Max|
|Easy to shoot video||Costly|
|Convenient to edit from the mobile app||A video recorded through Hero mode is not as clear as an actual Hero 11|
|Durable||It is time-consuming when editing to achieve the best results|
|Fits several mounts and handles||Lacks full manual control|
|Can capture images and record videos at 360 degrees|
|Also operates as a single-lens camera|
|Waterproof up to 5 meters|
Pros and Cons of the GoPro Hero 11
|Pros of GoPro Hero 11||Cons of GoPro Hero 11|
|Has an enduro battery, which is more powerful and performs better in cold conditions||DIt doesn’t feature an optical zoom|
|Fast and responsive processor||Its indicator sound can be irritating|
|Better battery life to serve you for a longer time||Costly|
|8:7 sensor is ideal for creating content||Has a lowlight video which is not good for recording|
|Convenient to carry since it weighs 153 grams||Not durable for drone usage|
|Has a max battery video runtime of 137 minutes|
|Waterproof up to 10 meters|
GoPro Max vs. Hero 11: Which One is Better?
It’s a headache for most users to figure out whether the GoPro Max or Hero 11 is better. The GoPro Max and Hero 11 are currently hitting the headlines, with both products tabling unique features to users. Both cameras are effective and serve the intended purpose.
The Hero 11 will be on top of the list regarding battery lifespan. When it comes to using a camera in dusty and windy areas, the GoPro Max will be ideal.
All these features are essential, but when you sum up all the advantages and usage, the Hero 11 will stand out. The Hero 11 will offer you some of the features lacking in the GoPro Max. For example, its megapixels are higher at 27 than the GoPro Max, which offers 16.6 megapixels.
Also, the Hero 11 weighs 153 grams, less than the 164 grams of the GoPro Max. This weight makes it easy for the user to move around with the camera and carry it without struggle. Additionally, the battery capacity of the Hero 11 is 1730 mAh, which is higher than the 1600 mAh of the GoPro Max.
So, going for the Hero 11 will likely be better due to its higher capacities for resolution and battery.
Interested in more comparisons? Click on the links below:
- Nothing Phone 1 vs Samsung S22: How Do They Compare? One is the first release of a relative newcomer on the smartphone scene. The other is the thirteenth release in an exclusive line of devices from an established brand. How do both smartphones compare?
- iPhone 12 Pro Max vs. iPhone 13 Pro Max: Full Comparison: What are the differences between them in terms of storage capability, color schemes, resolution, and display refresh rate? The answers to these questions and more are provided in this article.
- GoPro Vs iPhone for Action Footage: Which Is Better? Which device is better for taking pictures or filming under low light conditions? Which of them is hardier, has a higher resolution? The answers to these questions and more have been provided right here.