Fitbit is famed for its line of fitness trackers. A newly released Inspire 3 band has improved features and upgrades, like an enhanced display, an additional sensor, and better optimization over the previous generation Fitbit Inspire 2.
Are these changes enough to make people shift towards the new Fitbit, or has the older Fitbit stamped its authority with a lightweight, compact design and a simple display?
We’ll dig into these two in today’s article and uncover the fundamental differences. By the time you’re done with this article, you’ll know if the Fitbit 3 is worth those extra bucks or if you should stick with the older Inspire 2 design.
Fitbit Inspire 3 vs. Fitbit Inspire 2: Side-by-Side Comparison
|Specs||Fitbit Inspire 2||Fitbit Inspire 3|
|Dimensions||1.46 L x 0.66 W x 0.5 H”||1.55 L x 0.73 W x 0.46 H”|
|Material||Silicone with plastic buckle||Silicone with plastic buckle|
|Water resistance||Up to 50m||Up to 50m, also swim-proof|
|Fitbit premium membership||1 year||6 months|
|Battery Life||Up to 10 days (advertised)||Up to 10 days (advertised)|
|iOS/ Android compatibility||Compatible with both||Compatible with both|
Fitbit Inspire 3 vs. Fitbit Inspire 2: What’s the Difference?
Fitbit Inspire 2 has been on the market for 2 years now, and in that time, it has gained popularity as an accurate fitness-tracking device with a minimalist design. With so much popularity, we expected an update to the Fitness Inspire 2 a lot sooner. It wasn’t until September 2022 that Google introduced Fitbit Inspire 3 as the successor to Fitbit Inspire 2.
Critics are giving the new fitness tracker two thumbs up as the Fitbit Inspire 3 has made considerable leaps in two primary domains where the Fitbit 2 lacked. These were the display and sensor upgrades.
Apart from that, Fitbit 3 upheld most of the features of its processor, and by looking at the on-paper specs, we can say that Google has tried to play safe with its new Fitbit Inspire app tracker. Let’s dive into the specifics to know what exactly has changed.
Prices and Available Models
- Optimize your workouts with a Daily Readiness Score that reveals if you’re ready to exercise or should focus on recover (requires Fitbit Premium membership. Premium content recommendations are not available in all locales and may be in English only)
- Earn active zone minutes as you progress toward your weekly 150 minutes of heart-pumping activity and use 20+ exercise modes to track goals like distance, calories burned and more
- Track all-day activity: your steps, distance, hourly activity and calories burned
- Use 24/7 heart rate to track resting heart rate better measure calorie burn
- Enjoy 10 days of battery life for daily progress without constant charging varies with use and other factors
You can find the Fitbit Inspire 3 available in many different colors and wristband sizes. The fitness tracker is trending for around $100 online, but some deals can be had if you can find them.
Fitbit Inspire 2, like its successor, comes in a single model with different wristband sizes and colors. Due to its advanced age, relative to the newer model, you can score the Fitbit Inspire 2 even cheaper, typically for less than $60.
Both fitness trackers are pretty similar in their design. They provide a minimalistic, futuristic, and compact look. The screen itself is rectangular and exactly matches the continuity of the wristband, and it seems as if you are wearing a simple band. These fitness trackers might be the best choice for people who are not fans of big displays and huge wristbands, like the Apple Watch Series 8 or Google Pixel Watch.
Fitbit claims it has used the highest quality silicone and plastic to build the Fitbit Inspire 2 and 3. Expert tech reviewers have made positive comments regarding the build quality. The most significant advantage is that this combination of materials improves flexibility and durability, making these trackers relatively light and comfortable for your wrist.
The build quality provides a premium feel, and changing the wristbands is easier than ever. Moreover, the display is compatible with different wristbands, and customers can also order customized bands. Besides that, Fitbit offers numerous bands to add to the visual appeal of Fitbit Inspire 2 and Fitbit Inspire 3.
Fitbit Inspire 3 is available in three different colors. Customers can choose from Midnight Zen/Black, Lilac Bliss, Black, and Morning Glow, Black. Fitbit Inspire 2 is also available in three colors. These are Black, Desert rose, and Lunar white.
The display has improved by leaps and bounds on the Fitbit Inspire 3. The older model is left choking on the dust left behind. You’ll be happy with the older tech if you don’t care about a fancy display. But many current Fitbit owners have been waiting for some innovation.
Fitbit Inspire 2 had a PMOLED screen with a black-and-white display only. There were no other colors, and the display seemed to be outdated. Also, there was no feature for keeping the display on all the time.
Although both these tactics seemed to increase the battery life of the fitness band, they were both a big downfall which most customers didn’t like. Interactivity and visual appeal are the hallmarks of fitness trackers.
Fitbit covered this con in the newly introduced Fitbit Inspire 3. They replaced the black and white screen with a multi-color one which gives it a more captivating look.
Somehow, they have managed to preserve the battery life even with a colorful display. Therefore, it is a substantial improvement, considering the battery life is still the same as before.
Additionally, they added the option of Always on Display. Even though only some people use this feature often, it is still a plus point that could attract many potential customers. Fitbit has also tweaked the display dimensions a bit. The screen is now less wide and long, giving a slimmer look and allowing extra room for more widgets.
- Inspire 3 is the tracker that helps you find your energy, do what you love and feel your best. All you have to do is wear it
- Move more: Daily Readiness Score(1), Active Zone Minutes, all-day activity tracking and 24/7 heart rate, 20+ exercise modes, automatic exercise tracking and reminders to move
- Stress less: always-on wellness tracking, daily Stress Management Score, mindfulness sessions, relax breathing sessions, irregular heart rhythm notifications(2), SpO2(3), menstrual health tracking,...
- Sleep better: automatic sleep tracking, personalized Sleep Profile(1), daily detailed Sleep Score, smart wake vibrating alarm, sleep mode
- Comfortably connected day and night: calls, texts & smartphone app notifications(4), color touchscreen with customizable clock faces, super lightweight and water resistant to 50 meters, up to 10 day...
Fitbit has loaded both fitness trackers with sensors, making the fitness tracker perfect. Both bands provide 24/7 heart rate tracking. One exciting thing to note is the concept of Active Zone Minutes. Instead of delivering just raw data of the exercise, the trackers funnel to make it more useful for training processes.
The vibrations on the watch remind you of which zone you are in. The tracker indicates moderate, fat-burning exercise with a single buzz, meaning you are in the fat-burning zone. A second buzz indicates the transition from the fat-burning zone to the cardio zone, meaning increased exercise intensity. A third buzz indicates you are in the peak zone.
For every 1 minute that you spend in the cardio zone, Fitbit Inspire adds 2 minutes to your active zone and 1 minute for each minute in the fat-burning zone. Fitbit has also added an extra sensor for measuring oxygen saturation in the Fitbit Inspire 3.
These stats can be helpful while working out because they indicate how your body reacts to that stress and whether your muscles are getting the required oxygen. Secondly, Fitbit Inspire 3 uses information from all the sensors to measure your sleep quality. When it has gathered two weeks of data, it assigns you a specific animal according to your sleep pattern—an octopus or a dolphin, for example.
Then, according to your designated animal, it suggests videos and tutorials that help increase the quality of your sleep. Moreover, a sensor can detect abnormal heart rhythms and inform you of that. It makes Fitbit Inspire 3 a perfect fitness-tracking app for anyone with pre-existing heart disease.
Fitbit also introduced the concept of a “Daily Readiness Score.” It uses all the available data and your workout trends in the previous days to suggest whether you should continue with the workout or focus mainly on recovery, so your body does not experience burnout.
Fitbit has advertised both fitness trackers as having 10 days of battery life. Statistically and on paper, this figure might look similar to all of us. But practically, it is not. Fitbit Inspire 2 gives 10 days of battery life with the monotonous black-and-white display.
In contrast, Fitbit Inspire 3 achieves the same feat with multi-color and an always-on-display along with the introduction of an extra sensor. When each tracker is put to the test, we observe a practical battery life of around 5 days with the Fitbit Inspire 2 and about 8-9 days with the Fitbit Inspire 3, indicating that Fitbit Inspire 3 is the winner in this domain.
Fitbit Inspire 3 vs. Fitbit Inspire 2: 7 Must-Know Facts
- Google owns Fitbit and has designed all the latest models.
- Fitbit Inspire 3 is priced at $99, whereas Fitbit Inspire 2 is priced at $79, but you can sometimes find deals.
- Fitbit Inspire 3 comes with an extra oxygen saturation sensor, which makes the data more valuable, whereas this feature is absent on the Fitbit Inspire 2.
- Fitbit provides a 1-year membership if you buy Fitbit Inspire 2, while they offer free 6-month membership with the purchase of Fitbit Inspire 3.
- Fitbit Inspire 3 has a sharp and colorful display in contrast to the monotonous black-and-white display of the Fitbit Inspire 2.
- Both fitness trackers are water resistant up to a depth of 50m and safe for swimming. Moreover, both trackers can operate at heights up to 28,000 ft.
- Both fitness trackers come in two wrist sizes, small and large. The smaller one is for wrist sizes ranging in circumference from 5.5″ -8.2″ and the larger one for 5.7″ to 8.7″.
Fitbit Inspire 3 vs. Fitbit Inspire 2: Which One Is Better?
If you boil it down to which has the latest tech and the most helpful features, the clear winner is the Fitbit Inspire 3. It has a better up-to-date display and is competitive with other technologies. Fitbit 3 is the only option you should look at if you want an interactive and colorful display.
Secondly, Fitbit 3 has added a whole new oxygen sensor. Even if you are not a gym freak, this feature might still help you. Fitbit Inspire 3 lets you stay active and healthy by combining the zone concept and oxygen sensor. Additionally, the Fitbit Inspire 3 has a better battery, and it can efficiently run for a week on a single charge.
However, the Fitbit Inspire 2 still has a place if you are on a limited budget and want the less expensive option. With a lower price tag, the Inspire 2 still offers all the basics you need in a fitness tracker.