The Echo Show 8 and 10 are both Alexa-powered speakers, but they’re from different generations of devices. Amazon has updated its Echo Show range over the past several years, with devices available in three different sizes. The first of such devices was the original Echo Show and its 2nd generation at 10 inches. The Echo Show 5 comes in five inches while the model 8 comes at eight inches.
Late in 2020, a new design of the Echo Show 10 was released. The Echo Show 5 and the Echo Show 8 received minor updates in May 2021.
The Echo Show 8 is one of the best devices available if you’re looking for a smart speaker. It’s got all the features you’d expect from a high-end smart speaker, including Alexa integration and a built-in display.
The Echo Show 2nd generation has some big differences from its predecessor, but it’s still an excellent option for anyone who wants to add voice control to their home entertainment setup.
The best part about both devices is that they can connect with other smart home products like lights, switches, and thermostats, so if you want to use them as part of an entire smart home setup, they’re not going to disappoint.
Which of these two Echo Show speakers has what you’re looking for? Read on to find out!
Echo Show 8 vs. 10: Full Comparison
Amazon and Google now consider smart home displays with speakers a significant product category. Furthermore, even Facebook and Lenovo are developing some interesting new items in this market. Amazon launched the craze with its first- and second-generation Echo Show devices, followed by the Echo Spot and the Shows 5 through 10.
The Amazon Echo is a voice-activated speaker that can control your smart home devices and play music. It also has a built-in speaker and microphone, so you can place it in the room where you want to use the Alexa voice assistant. The Amazon Echo (new model) has a better sound quality than the original model.
The new model has an improved speaker, which makes it louder and clearer than the older version. It’s not just about the sound quality; there are other differences between these two devices.
The Amazon Echo is a smart speaker with Alexa built-in. It’s designed to be an all-in-one voice control system but has other features like music playback and messaging. The Echo 8 and the Echo 10 are two of the newer models in the Amazon Echo line. They both have slightly different features and capabilities, which makes it hard to decide which one is best for you.
If you’re on a tight budget, the Echo 8 might be right for you because it costs less than the more expensive Echo 10. However, the more expensive model might be worth it if you’re looking for a smart speaker that can do everything from making calls to playing music.
Echo Show 8 vs. 10: A Side-by-Side Comparison
|Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen)||Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen)|
|Weight||36.6 ounces||90.3 ounces|
|Size||7.9 x 5.4 x 3.9 inches||9.9 x 9 x 6.7 inches|
|Screen||8.0-inch with 1280 x 800p resolution||10.1-inch with 1280 x 800p resolution|
|Speakers||2 x 2 inch @ 10W per channel||2 x 1 inch tweeters and 1 x 3 inch woofer|
|Camera Controls||Built-in camera shutter and microphone/camera off button||Built-in camera shutter and microphone/camera off button|
|Smart Home Support?||Yes, with the Certified for Humans program||Yes, with Zigbee hub|
The Echo provides more than the weather, traffic, and other real-time information. Echo functions include voice interaction, music playback, creating to-do lists, setting alarms, streaming podcasts, and playing audiobooks. Furthermore, it serves as a home automation hub and can command various intelligent devices.
Echo 8 vs. 10: What is the Difference?
It features a more prominent display for improved viewing, and the speakers can direct sound effectively to fill the room. Additionally, it has a powerful 13MP front-facing camera for video chats and an integrated Zigbee gateway. This allows better management for smart homes.
The Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen) can follow you around a room to provide an uninterrupted view of the screen, thanks to its distinctive revolving display. This feature is ideal for reading a recipe while preparing food or maintaining your moving child in the frame during a video call with family.
The Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen) can work through remote control via the Alexa app. This allows users to utilize it as an instant home security camera when they aren’t at home. Echo 10 is the Echo Show to get if you have a large countertop or only want one Echo in your home. You won’t get tired of this large box because the Echo Shows now include exclusive Food Network programming and support for YouTube.
Screen Display and Features
The Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen) is perhaps Amazon’s most well-known bright screen. It has undoubtedly integrated the previous models’ best features to create a wonderfully reliable gadget. The Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen) has the same premium HD screen and excellent speakers as the bigger Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen).
You also receive improved privacy features such as a physical camera shutter and on-screen Privacy Hub settings. These features were initially introduced on the Echo Show 5 and are now available on the Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen). The Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen) also comes with a 13MP camera. That alone is amazing and superior to the competition, but when you consider the previous Echo Show 8 only featured a 1MP camera, it is astounding!
Previously, the Echo Show (2nd Gen) and Echo Plus (2nd Gen) devices’ Zigbee hub connectivity required assistance to pair with other smart items. Currently, it is no longer nearly as crucial as it was when those products were initially introduced.
This is especially true now that Amazon has launched the new Certified for Humans initiative. This allows pairing, setting up, and controlling of smart home devices and makes it more straightforward and seamless. Although, the three critical considerations for choosing between these two gadgets are the screen size, pricing, and additional features and usefulness.
Other New Features
You can make video chats with anyone with the Alexa app on their smartphone or with other Echo Show owners using the camera. However, the person you wish to call must be on your contact list. Some people might find it strange that you can even “drop in” on other Echo Show users.
With face-tracking technology, the third-generation Echo Show 10 will spin on its base and follow you around the room. Moreover, you can now use Alexa, Skype, and even Zoom to conduct voice and video conversations.
When you ask Alexa to “show my calendar,” a scrollable daily planner with your daily events appears. By stating the event’s date, time, and name, you may easily add events to your calendar using your voice. When requested, it will also display the weather for the day and the week.
You may ask Alexa to discover training videos on YouTube, Tubi, and other websites by saying, “Alexa, show me workout videos.” Furthermore, you can even utilize the browser to look for individual trainers. However, the Amazon Echo 10’s giant screens make it simpler to watch fitness videos than the Echo Show.
Let’s look at some essential facts about these two devices to help you decide which one will work best for your needs.
Echo Show 8 vs. 10: 5 Must-Know Facts
- The Echo Show 10’s rounder form differs from earlier generations’ more triangular appearance. The cylinder-shaped base supports the 10.1-inch screen, which has a 1280 x 800-pixel resolution and resembles an intelligent Studio Echo speaker. It also features a 13-megapixel front-facing camera for video calling.
- Alexa can hear you everywhere in the room, thanks to the microphone array on the top and the sound system’s dual 1-inch front-firing tweeters and 3-inch woofer.
- The ability to view what the top video doorbells and home security cameras are seeing on an Echo Show is an outstanding feature. Additionally, you may communicate with the person on the other end via the Echo Show’s microphone and speakers.
- It is beneficial if someone rings your doorbell but you cannot answer it promptly. Besides, this gadget is compatible with security cameras and video doorbells made by Arlo, Blink, Ring, Nest, and other brands.
- You can use a few far-field microphones with Alexa, a set of powerful 2-inch speakers, and the same 13-megapixel camera for video conversations.
Where to Buy
- Alexa can show you even more - 8” HD touchscreen, adaptive color, and stereo speakers bring entertainment to life. Make video calls with a 13 MP camera that uses auto-framing to keep you centered.
- Stay in frame - Make video calls with a new camera that frames and centers automatically. Simply ask Alexa to call your contacts.
- Make life easier at home - Glance at your calendars and reminders. Get daily recipe ideas and cook along hands-free with step-by-step instructions. Use your voice to set timers, update lists, and see news or traffic updates.
- Manage your smart home - Look in when you're away with the built-in camera. Control compatible devices like cameras, lights, and more using the interactive display, your voice, or your motion.
- Be entertained - Enjoy TV shows and movies in HD and stereo with Prime Video, Netflix, and more. Or ask Alexa to stream Amazon Music, Apple Music, or Spotify.
- Alexa can show you even more - With a 10.1" HD screen that’s designed to move with you, video calls, recipes, and shows are always in view. The speakers deliver premium, directional sound.
- Stay in frame - Video call friends and family or take a picture while the 13MP camera with auto-framing and motion keeps you front and center.
- Smart home made simple - Set up compatible Zigbee and Matter devices without a separate hub. Ask Alexa to show you security cameras, control lights, and adjust thermostats.
- Take a look around when you’re away - Securely access the built-in camera to remotely monitor your home anytime with the Alexa app or other Echo Show devices.
- So much entertainment - Ask Alexa to play your favorite shows, music, and podcasts from Prime Video, Netflix, Amazon Music, Spotify, and more.
Echo 8 vs. 10: Which One is Better?
The Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen) still comes out on top as the superior Echo Show. However, in my opinion, the Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen) is a fabulously evolved gadget. It has many advantages over the older Show 8 (2nd Gen). The Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen) is somewhat large, but the Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen) is just the right size.
The pricing points of Echo devices are one of the most challenging topics to discuss because they change so much due to Amazon’s frequent discounts. Overall, we are confident to say that the Echo Show 8 has a smaller footprint than the Show 10 but equal performance and power.
However, although the Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen)‘s revolving screen might be pretty helpful, it respects your privacy because it lacks face recognition technology. So, given the significant upgrades that Echo 10 enjoys over Echo 8, we’d go for the Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen).
Last update on 2023-01-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API