If you’re in the market for a smart speaker, then you’ve probably heard of the Amazon Echo Dot. It’s the most popular of the Amazon smart speakers and is available in four versions. But how do you choose the right Echo Dot for your home? With different versions of Echo Dots available, and each one offering unique features, it’s incredibly difficult to know which Echo Dot to buy.
In this article, we’ll compare the latest two versions, the Echo Dot 3rd generation, and the Echo Dot 4th generation. Read on to decide which is best for your home.
Echo Dot 3 vs 4: Side by Side Comparison
|Echo Dot 3rd Generation||Echo Dot 4th Generation|
|What it is||A voice-controlled smart speaker||A voice-controlled smart speaker with upgraded features|
|Design||43 x 99 x 99 mm||100 x 100 x 89 mm|
Echo Dot 3 vs 4: What’s the Difference?
- Meet Echo Dot - Our most compact smart speaker that fits perfectly into small spaces.
- Improved speaker quality - Better speaker quality than Echo Dot Gen 2 for richer and louder sound. Pair with a second Echo Dot for stereo sound.
- Voice control your music - Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, and others.
- Ready to help - Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
- Voice control your smart home - Turn on lights, adjust thermostats, lock doors, and more with compatible connected devices. Create routines to start and end your day.
The 3rd Generation and 4th Generation Echo Dot are amazing smart speakers that are worth their costs. However, there are some differences between them. Here are some of their unique differences.
One of the main differences between Echo Dot 3 and Echo Dot 4 is their design. Echo Dot 4 has a traditional globe shape, unlike its predecessor, the Echo Dot 3rd generation, which has a puck shape. Echo Dot 4 is also several inches taller than Echo Dot 3. Due to the increase in size, it might be difficult for Echo Dot 4 to fit into congested spaces like the Echo Dot 3, which has a smaller appearance.
In terms of weight, the Echo Dot 4th Gen is slightly heavier than its predecessor, mainly because of its increased size and because it was constructed using aluminum. Unlike Echo Dot 3, which has its lights on top, the Echo Dot 4 has its lights on the bottom. Echo Dot 4 also looks more refined and elegant than the Echo Dot 3rd Generation. However, mounting the Echo Dot 3rd Generation on the wall is a lot easier than Echo Dot 4 because of its design.
Echo Dots are easily affordable. All generations of Echo Dots are below $65, making them one of the most affordable smart speakers on the market. Echo Dot 3 is typically sold between $35 – $40, while Echo Dot 4 costs between $45 – $50. Echo Dot 4, with a clock, costs $10 more than the regular Dot 4, which means that it is available for $60.
Even though Echo Dot 3 and 4 are very affordable, they get much cheaper during Amazon prime deals and Black Friday sales. Echo Dot 4 costs slightly more than Echo Dot 3, but the Echo Dot 4th Generation has better audio quality and a more refined appearance, which makes it worth its price.
Echo Dot 3 and 4 both have amazing audio output. Echo Dot 3 has a 1.6-inch speaker, unlike its predecessor, the Echo Dot 2nd Generation, which has a 1.1-inch speaker. The increase in size gave Echo Dot 3 a better sound output compared to older Echo Dot generations.
Echo Dot 4 also has a 1.6-inch speaker. Just like Echo Dot 3, the Echo Dot 4th Generation also boasts a 3.5mm headphone jack. However, with Echo Dot 4, you can play loud music with less speaker vibration. It also has an overall better sound quality.
- Meet the Echo Dot - Our most popular smart speaker with Alexa. The sleek, compact design delivers crisp vocals and balanced bass for full sound.
- Voice control your entertainment - Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, SiriusXM, and others. Play music, audiobooks, and podcasts throughout your home with multi-room music.
- Ready to help - Ask Alexa to tell a joke, play music, answer questions, play the news, check the weather, set alarms, and more.
- Control your smart home - Use your voice to turn on lights, adjust thermostats, and lock doors with compatible devices.
- Start Routines with your motion - Turn on compatible lights, play your Flash Briefing, or turn on the coffee maker when you walk into the room.
When it comes to smart home connectivity, both speakers are compatible with Alexa. While Echo Dot 3 and 4 offer similar experiences with Alexa, the assistant’s processing and responsiveness are slightly faster on Echo Dot 4 because it uses the AZ1 Neutral Edge Chip. Just like the previous Echo Dot generations, Echo Dot 4 can be used to control the smart home-compatible devices in your house, and it does so with less delay because of its upgraded chip.
Echo Dot 3 and the Echo Dot 4th Generation have several shared features, such as the Alexa technology. Newer features, such as Care Hub and Alexa Guard Plus, are also present in Echo Dot 4. Care Hub allows you to feel closer to your elderly loved ones and check in on them easily, even when you are miles apart. Guard Plus is a subscription service that enables your Echo speaker to detect threats, notify you immediately, and connect you to emergency responders.
However, Echo Dot 4 offers many unique features in an eco-friendly manner. Most of the materials used include aluminum, plastic, and fabrics that are all recycled items. It’s also highly energy efficient.
Echo Dot 3 vs 4: 7 Must-Know Facts
- Amazon released Echo Dot in 2016.
- Echo Dots have a microphone button that can be used to turn the microphone on and off, preventing Alexa from listening to your conversation.
- Echo Dots use the Fire OS.
- Amazon Echo was originally supposed to be named ‘Amazon Flash’.
- You can change the personal assistant’s wake voice on Echo from ‘Alexa’ to ‘Amazon’, ‘Echo’, ‘Computer’, and other options.
- Amazon started developing Echo speakers in Silicon Valley as early as 2011.
- The first-generation Echo was initially released in 2014 to Amazon Prime members and some invited people.
Echo Dot 3 vs 4: Which One is Better? Which One Should You Use?
Echo Dot 3 and its 4th generation successor offer high sound quality. They are both Alexa-compatible speakers. Better still, with Alexa Guard, the smart speakers can notify you of threats in your house. The Echo Dot 3 is the more affordable option, but it doesn’t have as many features as the Echo Dot 4. The Echo Dot 4 has an improved sound quality. It is one of the most eco-friendly smart speakers on the market right now and has more improved features than the Echo Dot 3, which is why we recommend it.
Last update on 2022-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API