Operating in 1,948 locations and with a solid online presence, Target is the most popular big box store in America. Keeping up with consumer trends, the brand updated its payment methods in recent years. Target now allows contactless payments and the use of digital wallets. But does Target take Apple Pay, or should you use a different app?
Does the Physical Target Shop Take Apple Pay?
Target takes Apple Pay. The corporation announced an upgrade of its in-store and mobile payment options in January 2019. While Apple Pay wasn’t added instantly, this payment method is now accepted at all Target stores.
You can use this payment method at conventional cash registers or during self-checkout. You can also use any Apple device to pay for your purchase, provided that it has the Apple Pay app installed and NFC enabled.
Does the Target App Take Apple Pay?
You can use Apple Pay on the Target App, too, but only on an Apple device. Whether you’re using the app on an iPhone or iPad, you’ll be prompted to use the Apple Pay option at checkout. You don’t have to be logged into your Target account on the app to be prompted with this option.
If you add the items to your cart and proceed to checkout, you’ll also be given the opportunity to use other payment methods, including PayPal, credit cards, American Express, Discover gift cards, or third-party installments, such as Klarna or Affirm.
Does the Target Website Take Apple Pay?
For a while, Target only accepted Apple Pay in stores and in the app. However, you can now use this payment method on the Target website, too.
The option is available at the checkout, alongside all other accepted payment methods, including PayPal, credit cards, debit cards, gift cards, and other digital wallets like Google Wallet or Samsung Wallet.
Does Target Take Apple Card?
Apple Card is a credit card that iPhone users can apply for and manage via their handsets. This card is issued by MasterCard, and it is accepted at Target — and in all other stores that accept MasterCard payments. However, using Apple Pay at checkout doesn’t mean that you’ll pay with the Apple Card automatically if you have one.
Apple Pay is an app that allows you to pay with a card previously added to your Apple Wallet. If you haven’t added your Apple Card to the Wallet, or if you accidentally enable another card for payment, Apple Pay will use whatever method is available and enabled.
If you want to use the Apple Card via Apple Pay, save the card details in your Wallet and make sure the right card is selected before completing the transaction.
How to Use Apple Pay at Target Stores
Apple Pay comes pre-installed on Apple devices, but you have to set it up to be able to use it at checkout. To use it at the Target store:
- Set up an Apple ID method on your device (iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch). This can be a fingerprint, Face ID, or another type of biometric sign-in. Set up a passcode if you don’t want to use a biometric ID.
- Open the Wallet app on your device and tap the Add button.
- Follow the steps on the screen to add your card. Apple Pay supports most credit cards, debit cards, and prepaid cards.
- Approve the card for use with Apple Pay if your bank or card issuer asks for approval or confirmation. If you have both an iPhone and a wearable, you can sync the Wallet for use on both devices.
- At Target’s checkout, look for the contactless symbol on the terminal.
- Enable NFC on your device and select the card you want to use from the Wallet. When prompted, bring your device within a few inches of the terminal — the contactless symbol usually marks the position of the reader, and this is where you should place your phone or watch.
- Wait for the terminal to process and approve the transaction. Your Apple device may prompt you to authorize the transaction via your chosen ID, or the terminal might prompt you to punch in a PIN, which is the PIN of the card that you’re using via Apple Pay. When a tick symbol, green light, or the words “thank you” come up on the terminal screen, you’re good to go.
How to Use Apple Pay on the Target App
To use Apple Pay on the Target app, follow the steps above to add a payment method to the Apple Wallet. On the Target app, add the items to your cart or choose to proceed directly to checkout if you only want to buy one thing.
During checkout, you’ll be given the option to pay via Apple Pay. Identify yourself via the chosen biometric ID or passcode to approve and complete the transaction.
How to Use Apple Pay on the Target Website
Target only recently introduced Apple Pay as a checkout method on its website, but this payment method is straightforward to use. Set up Apple Wallet as explained above, and select Apple Pay at checkout when shopping on the Target website.
Select the card that you want to use and follow the instructions on the screen to complete the transaction. Apple will likely ask you to confirm the payment via Touch ID, Face ID, or a passcode.
Target accepts Apple Pay in stores, online, and in the app. This makes it possible to go shopping without a purse or wallet, as long as you’ve saved the details of at least one payment card in the Apple Wallet.
You can also save the details of multiple payment cards, including the Apple Card and Target’s Red Card, and use them to pay at checkout via the Apple Pay App. Alongside Apple Pay, Target also accepts other mobile wallets and digital payment methods like PayPal.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Sean Wandzilak/Shutterstock.com.