True cinephiles demand home theater receivers with a wide range of options. The ideal receiver should be capable of 8K resolution, Dolby Atmos sound, and be tweakable for the ideal audio and video experience. The Denon AVR-X3700H delivers on these goals and exceeds them.
This premium home theater receiver has a bevy of features that are sure to entice the home movie lover, and this review will give you everything you need to know about whether this is the next addition to your home theater system.
Best Denon AVR-X3700H Prices Today
Denon AVR-X3700H 8K Ultra HD 9.2 Channel (Amazon): $1595
Denon AVR-X3700H 8K Ultra HD 9.2 Channel (Best Buy): $1199
Denon AVR-X3700H Overview
The Denon AVR-X3700H is a nine-channel home theater receiver capable of supporting up to 8K resolutions and Dolby surround sound. This receiver can act as a central media server, capable of not only broadcasting video but also streaming music and SiriusXM radio playback.
The AVR-X3700H is also capable of multiroom setups, supporting two separate rooms for audio and video playback. 8K televisions aren’t common on the market yet, but this is a future-proof device, and it more than readily supports 4K now.
Multiple inputs for various devices reside on the back of the receiver. These inputs include composite, HDMI, component, and support for subwoofers.
Different Models of the Denon AVR-X3700H
The AVR-X3700H is Denon’s midrange receiver; other models include:
- UNMATCHED 3D REALISM FOR YOUR HOME THEATER SYSTEM – Enjoy Immersive surround sound with Auro-3D, IMAX Enhanced, DTS Virtual:X and Dolby Atmos and crisp, clean picture with advanced video processing,...
- Enjoy high quality 3D audio & video knowing that AVR-X6700H IS 8K READY WHEN YOU ARE; This high-power amplifier capable of 13.2 channel processing allows to build your choice of speaker configuration;...
- NEXT GEN GAMING – Enjoy a smooth, lag-free gaming experience with spectacular imaging, reduced lag & frame tearing with 4K/120Hz pass-through, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Quick Frame Transport...
- ENJOY THE MOST ADVANCED VIDEO TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE with Dynamic HDR and HDR10 plus; This 11.2 channel receiver delivers clarity, contrast & color, & Quick Media Switching eliminates video delay
- CONNECT WITH ANY HD/ULTRA HD TV, SUBWOOFER, BLU-RAY PLAYER & TURNTABLE FOR INCREDIBLE STEREO SOUND – USB, 11 HDMI ports (8 In/ 3 Out) with HDCP 2.3 processing, Digital In, Phono input & Network...
The larger number in the model — for example, the AVR-X3700H — is indicative of the feature set and price point, with the X1700H having fewer features but being the cheapest. The X6700H is among Denon’s most expensive offerings, but has a massive feature set to justify the $3299 price tag.
Release Date and Price
The Denon AVR-X3700H has a suggested retail price of $1599, which places it as a midrange receiver. Released in June 2020, the AVR-X3700H is available from Amazon, Best Buy, and other retailers.
The Denon AVR-X3700H is elegantly designed. Clean lines and a brushed metal exterior grace the exterior, it is a slick piece of gear. Controls on the front panel are laid out in a clean and efficient manner, with two dials on the left and right side and a series of small buttons underneath the crystal clear display.
The back panel of the device holds a selection of input and output ports, all clearly labeled and color-coded for their respective protocols. Black brushed metal is the only available finish, with no other options available currently. It weighs in at 27.6 pounds and measures 17.1 inches by 15.3 inches and 6.6 inches in depth.
Denon has taken many steps to ensure that the AVR-X3700H can function as the heart of any media center in the home. The central unit itself is capable of acting as a media server, allowing for network connectivity through Bluetooth, WiFi, Airplay, and wired ethernet connections.
The video output is fantastic, with three HDMI inputs expertly handling modern devices. There are also multiple video components, and composite connections to facilitate whatever older media devices you might have. A plethora of audio connections are supported as well; the analog and optical inputs both reside on the back panel.
The AVR-X3700H supports 3D audio and surround sound, and is capable of playback in Dolby Atmos, Dolby 7.1 surround, Dolby 5.1 surround, and support for a pair of subwoofers.
Power is delivered to nine separate channels, with 105 watts of power going to each. Denon states that this allows the device to deliver audio playback with a frequency response between 20Hz and 20KHz, allowing for pristine audio and visual media.
|Dimensions||17.1 inches by 15.3 inches by 6.6 inches|
|Video Playback Supported||HDMI capable with resolution support to 8K at 60Hz or 4K at 120Hz|
|Audio Playback Supported||Supports MP3, WAV, FLAC, WMA, internet streaming, and AM/FM radio|
|Multi-Room Capable||Multi-room video and audio out|
|Wireless Connectivity||Wi-Fi and Bluetooth|
|Mobile Device Support||USB ports for connecting mobile devices, no special support for Android or iPhone|
|Surround Sound Capable||Atmos, 7.1.2, and 5.1.4, two subwoofers can be added for further bass response|
Denon AVR-X3700H Review
It’s hard to beat this receiver when it comes to acting as the heart of your movie buff experience. Playback on 4K and 1080p resolutions were crystal clear, with no sign of ghosting or smearing of the image itself. Pristine audio is also a major feature of the Denon AVR-X3700H, with music and film audio alike taking full advantage of speaker setups.
The setup and installation were fairly painless. Denon has provided ample documentation and the companion app makes managing the receiver fairly easy. This receiver connected seamlessly to the local wireless network and was able to take full advantage to stream audio and internet radio.
- UNMATCHED 3D REALISM FOR YOUR HOME THEATER SYSTEM – Enjoy Immersive surround sound with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X and crisp, clean picture with advanced video processing,...
- Enjoy high quality 3D audio and video knowing that AVR-X3700H IS 8K READY WHEN YOU ARE. This high-power amplifier capable of 11.2 channel processing allows to build your choice of speaker...
- NEXT GEN GAMING – Enjoy a smooth, lag-free gaming experience with spectacular imaging, reduced lag and frame tearing with 4K/120Hz pass-through, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Quick Frame Transport...
- ENJOY THE MOST ADVANCED VIDEO TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE with Dynamic HDR and HDR10 plus . This 9.2 channel receiver delivers clarity, contrast and color, and Quick Media Switching eliminates video delay
- CONNECT WITH ANY HD/ULTRA HD TV, SUBWOOFER, BLU-RAY PLAYER AND TURNTABLE FOR INCREDIBLE STEREO SOUND – USB, 10 HDMI ports (7 In/ 3 Out) with HDCP 2.3 processing, Digital In, Phono input and Network...
Denon touts this as the premier home theater receiver for games and it handles them with gusto. Playback on some popular first-person shooters was visceral. The sound response is punchy and it takes full advantage of a multiple-speaker setup for 3D audio.
Multiple room setups were fairly painless to manage, though cable management might be a bit of a pain if you don’t have some form of routing for hiding away the plethora of connections you’ll be stringing from room to room.
It is a solid and sleek device for any movie buffs, game fanatics, or people just looking for an elegant solution to managing your audio and video devices.
Video playback on the AVR-X3700H is as close to perfect as you can get without ultimately being present in your favorite show or film. The analog upscaling and digital upscaling for older high-definition media worked without a hitch.
Movies and shows are one thing, but what about games? Popular games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and God of War were a visual treat and remained responsive to input. The AVR-X3700H has minimal latency, with delays being short enough to be imperceptible.
Switching between multiple devices was likewise a smooth experience with an external BluRay player, Fire Stick, and PS5 all being swapped between seamlessly. If there is one complaint to make about the video end of things, it is that only three HDMI inputs are present. It isn’t the end of the world, but it would be nice if there could’ve been one or two more present on the unit itself.
After dialing in some EQ settings for optimal conditions, the Denon AVR-X3700H was a solid performer for audio. The surround sound was deep and rich. The bass response from the LFE channel was a bit larger than the life with the volume at moderate levels.
Sound separation of elements was likewise stellar, with your ears being able to really being able to pick up the depth of the sound in the mix. Music playback was likewise great. The wide frequency response allows for listeners to pick up on details they might not have heard in their favorite songs previously.
The streaming playback went without a hitch on a wireless connection. Native support for online radio and streaming options like Spotify would be a great addition, but those can be accessed through AirPlay on Apple devices.
Ports and Connectivity
The AVR-X3700H has a plethora of connections on the back panel. These connections range from modern amenities like HDMI ports to things from yesteryear like analog inputs. The ports are labeled clearly on the back panel, with corresponding and easy-to-read markings above each set of connections.
Back panel access is excellent and the array of ports is laid out in a sensible manner, allowing for plenty of room to plug in a variety of devices. Wireless connectivity is simple to set up and provides media server functionality.
There is no shortage of options as far as what can connect to the device; just about every major input from the last few decades is present. It remains to be seen why you’d want to connect a Laserdisc player to your state-of-the-art home theater receiver, but it is always good to have options.
Denon AVR-X3700H Pros and Cons
- Supports 8K resolutions and upscales video to 4K or 8K
- Acts as a media server
- Supports multiroom setups
- Easy access to ports on the back panel for connecting devices
- Superb audio support, Atmos and Surround both supported
- Somewhat expensive at $1599
- Only has three HDMI input ports
- No specialized USB support for Apple devices
Denon AVR-X3700H: Is It A Buy?
Buy It if…
You are in search of a central control station for your home theater
This device acts as both a media server and a central hub for your wired devices. It is on the bulkier side, but with the size comes a multitude of functions that can take advantage of your surround sound system, large displays, and multiroom setups.
Don’t Buy It if…
You have zero need for a home theater receiver
If you are perfectly content with the sound system on your television and have zero desire to take your media intake to the next level, this is complete overkill. It has a feature set very much tailored to enthusiasts of film, television, games, and music.
It also doesn’t provide a very enticing solution for consumers who have already invested in a wireless soundbar system. Home theater receivers are more of an alternative to a soundbar, rather than a complimentary element.
If you’re running a top-end soundbar, the AVR-X3700H doesn’t provide a tidy solution for managing multiple rooms with your wireless sound systems. It relies on hardwiring to take full advantage of its feature set.