Building a PC requires very few tools, but a screwdriver is essential. Most components easily screw into place with Philips screws, although some do require specialty bits, which is where screwdriver sets come in. The best screwdriver sets for PC building offer all of the bits you may need to work on a computer.
While many screwdrivers look similar, their internal components can vary greatly. Even the type of metal impacts how well a screwdriver works. Different sets come with different types of bits, and many even have ratcheting mechanisms.
Needless to say, it’s important to do your homework to ensure you’re purchasing the right one!
Let’s explore our 6 top picks for screwdriver sets to get your PC build up and running!
- #1 Best Overall: MegaPro 211R1C36RD
- Best Non-Ratcheting Set: Tekton 1/4 Inch Bit Driver
- Best for Fast Assembly: wowstick Lithium Precision Electric Screwdriver
- Best for Specialty Builds: iFixit Manta Driver Kit
- Best Value: Craftsman CMHT68129
#1 Best Overall: MegaPro 211R1C36RD
- Ratcheting mechanism
- The patented pullout bit cartridge makes it easy to find, change, and store bits
- The handle is made from engineered nylon/ABS resin, Triax 1120
- The shaft opening serves as a 1/4-Inch hex driver
- Alloy steel shaft
- Palm saver cap keeps you from getting blisters on your hand
The MegaPro 211R1C36RD is the best screwdriver set thanks to its high quality and excellent price.
It does feature a ratcheting mechanism, and the end is 1/4″ hex, which supports the 12 included bits. You can also use the 1/4″ hex shaft as a nut driver by simply leaving the bits off, making this a 13-in-1 screwdriver.
Speaking of bits, all of the included bits fit neatly inside the handle’s convenient retractable cartridge. In addition to a range of standard Philips and straight bits, it includes several torx and square bits. You can also swap the included bits out with other specialty ones that better fit your needs. If you need something a little smaller, check out the MegaPro 251PRECISION.
What sets the MegaPro 211R1C36RD apart is its build quality. Unlike other tool manufacturers, MegaPro only sells screwdrivers, which shows in the attention to detail. The ratcheting motion works well and is smoother than any other screwdriver in this price range.
The only real caveat of the MegaPro is its $40 price tag, making it pretty expensive for a screwdriver.
You can find it on Amazon here.
- Designed specifically for those working with (and on) electronics, technology, security, jewelry, and any other repairs in a “micro” environment
- This screwdriver comes with 24 of the most popular precision bit tips – all conveniently stored in the Megapro Patented Retractable Bit Cartridge
- Driver Features: Raised Rubber Grips, Retractable Bit Cartridge, Palm Saver Cap, Laser Engraved Bit Tips
- 3-year warranty
Best Non-Ratcheting Set: Tekton 1/4 Inch Bit Driver
- 37 pieces
- Includes: Phillips bits: #1, #2, #3; 3-pc. slotted bits: 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 in.; 3-pc. square bits: S1, S2, S3; 9-pc. standard hex bits: 5/64, 3/32, 7/64, 1/8, 9/64, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4 in.; 9-pc. metric hex bits: 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6 mm; 9-pc. star bits: T7, T8, T9, T10, T15, T20, T25, T27, T30; 1-pc. high-torque bit driver
- The over-molded grip is permanently bonded to the handle and won't degrade or become sticky over time
- The bits are held onto the end of the driver by a magnet that’s friction-fit within the receiver so that they can’t fall out
- The bits are made of S2 steel with a zinc-phosphate coating that resists corrosion, and they're designed to be longer than standard bits to improve your access to recessed fasteners
- Flexible rails securely grip the bits so they can’t fall out, while also making it easy to remove any bit one-handed
- The portable zipper case stores everything neatly and compactly, ideal for keeping in a glove compartment, kitchen drawer, or taking on-the-go
Many PC components do not use long screws, so you may want to consider a non-ratcheting screwdriver like the Tekton 1/4-inch Bit Driver.
Tekton is a leading tool brand thanks to a great lifetime warranty and excellent products.
It comes with a wide assortment of bits, totaling 37. There is a nice variety of different bit types, including slotted, Philips, square, torx, and hex. All the bits fit into the included holders, which are clearly marked. Thanks to their corrosion resistance and slightly longer profile, Tekton bits are also substantially better than many competitors. A nearly identical set comes with 36 security bits, which is a good option for PC builders that already have standard bits.
Of course, the most important part is the screwdriver, which is essentially a 1/4-inch nut driver. But the screwdriver makes this set stand out as the rubberized handle is very ergonomic and is easy to use for extended periods. The Tekton screwdriver set comes in a convenient carrying case with molded foam to keep everything organized.
Check it out on Amazon right here.
Best for Fast Assembly: wowstick Lithium Precision Electric Screwdriver
- LED light and magnetic mat
- Electric and rechargeable
- 56 bits included
- Extend bar
- For most electronic devices
People who work with electronics and build PCs daily can benefit from the wowstick Electronic Screwdriver Set.
This is a very different tool than a drill or other powered tools. It is actually smaller than most screwdrivers and more closely resembles a pencil. The Wowstick was designed for precision electronics work, meaning it had to be light and easy to control.
Because of those constraints, there are some caveats. For instance, it will not be able to handle tight screws. This isn’t a problem for most PC builders who only work with electronics. However, it may struggle to remove larger screws that hold the PC case together. The good news is that the Wowstick works perfectly for installing components like the motherboard and fans.
Fortunately, you also won’t have to worry about over-tightening screws. The Wowstick is rechargeable, with an included charging base. You also get 56 bits consisting of a large mixture of security, specialty, and conventional ones. The price may be a little high for those who build PCs as a hobby, but an electronic screwdriver is an invaluable tool for professionals.
Find it on Amazon here.
Best for Specialty Builds: iFixit Manta Driver Kit
- Includes 1/4" Drive and 4 mm Drive premium aluminum screwdriver handles with knurled grips and swivel tops, plus 112 precision driver bits
- For appliances, radios, tablets, laptops, PC builds, phones, watches, cameras, gaming consoles, electronics, bikes, Nintendo Switch, PS5, computers, and more!
- Foam insert case and magnetic closure lid to ensure the drivers and bits can be safely stored and transported
- Essential bits like Phillips, Torx Security, Hex Security, Flathead, Nut Driver, Tri-Point, and much more
- Anodized aluminum drivers. 1/4" bits made from 6150 Steel, and 4 mm bits made from S2 Steel
- iFixit Lifetime Warranty
No matter how many bits you have, it always seems like there is never the right one, but with iFixit’s Manta Screwdriver Set, you will never have to worry about this again.
This massive screwdriver set comes with the best assortment on our list. The company is well-known for its extensive collection of repair instructions for different electronics, but iFixit also makes a wide range of tools.
The Manta screwdriver set comes with two ratcheting screwdrivers. One is a standard 1/4-inch drive, while the other fits 4mm bits. Besides ratcheting, both screwdrivers are magnetic and feature knurling, making them easy to grip. They are also made out of anodized aluminum, providing a great feel and excellent durability.
But if anything happens, iFixit backs the tools with a lifetime warranty. The iFixit Manta screwdriver set has 112 bits specifically selected for computer and electronics work. This means there are specialty bits for devices such as iPhones and Nintendo consoles. But you also get a range of larger bits and even some nut drivers, which are good for working with larger PC components.
Discover it on Amazon here.
Best Value: Craftsman CMHT68129 Ratcheting Screwdriver
- 2" double-ended bits included
- The handle holds up to 6 bits
- Patented SpeedDrive Technology drives screws with each left and right turn, delivering 2 times the speed of a standard ratcheting screwdriver
- Extended locking bit holder enures a secure hold on bits during use.
- Seven (7) 2-inch double-ended bits included
- Bi-material handle designed for speed, torque, and precision
Building a PC doesn’t have to cost a fortune, and the Craftsman CMHT68129 is a great starter screwdriver set.
This ratcheting screwdriver performs the same tasks as most others on the market but at roughly half the cost. With that said, Craftsman is a well-known tool manufacturer that backs its screwdrivers with a lifetime warranty.
The difference between the Craftsman CMHT68129 and the more expensive options is the quality of the ratcheting mechanism and handle. The design isn’t nearly as refined as some of the competition, but it is still an excellent screwdriver for people not building PCs daily.
Check it out on Amazon here.
Best Premium Set: LTT 12-in-1 Ratcheting Screwdriver
- Multi-bit screwdriver features a durable ratcheting mechanism for fast and easy driving, even for small screws
- Handle conveniently stores 12 22mm bits and 6 longer bits up to 42mm
- Durable and resistant to chemicals, fatigue, and impact
- Rated for operation of up to 220 inch-pounds of force
- Includes Phillips (#0, #1, #2) Hex (#2, #2.5, #4) Slotted (#2, #4, #6) Square (#1, #2) and our Magnet bit (5x5) bits
The LTT Screwdriver has been out for less than a year but is already considered the best set for PC building.
At first glance, the screwdriver looks similar to the MegaPro, so it is understandable to think it is a replication of sorts. However, it is designed from the ground up by the engineering team at Linus Tech Tips as the ultimate tool for tech aficionados.
A closer look shows a knurled finger grip that works great for turning screws too small for the ratcheting mechanism to undo. The ratcheting system is also slightly different from the competition as it requires less force. The handle is very ergonomic, making it easy to grip and comfortable to use for long periods.
While the LTT screwdriver has no lifetime warranty, it is resistant to physical impacts and liquid damage. The set comes with 12 magnetic bits that fit in the handle’s convenient bit organizer. There is a nice variety of bits, including some specialty ones you may find when working on a PC. However, it is nearly double the price of the MegaPro screwdriver set.
How to Pick the Best Screwdriver Set: Step-by-Step
When selecting a screwdriver set for PC building, consider these four factors.
Let’s review each of these in more detail.
Although screwdrivers perform the same basic job, some work differently than others. You should carefully consider whether or not you need specific features like ratcheting before buying, but even the ratcheting mechanism can vary greatly between brands and models. Similarly, some people prefer electric screwdrivers as they help you work faster.
Most PC-building screwdrivers rely on separate bits, making them capable of handling various tasks. Think about which bits are essential to PC building and your other work. Most sets come with the basics, but others include security and specialty bits.
Fortunately, PC-building screwdrivers use 1/4-inch bits, which you can buy more of later.
PC-building screwdrivers have a wide range of price points. Some are as little as $10 but these are very low quality. With that in mind, you don’t need to spend a fortune to get a good one.
Think about how much you will use the tool and whether or not it is enough to justify a more expensive investment. Also, consider other factors like the number of bits included, special features, and the length of warranty offered.
Finally, you should think about any other potential uses for the screwdriver besides PC building. Screwdrivers are universal tools, so it may make sense to get a better one if you like to tinker. For instance, iFixit’s Manta Set and the Wowstick are great for people working on a range of electronic devices.
What to Know Before Buying a Screwdriver Set
Before buying a screwdriver set for PC building, you should consider whether or not you really need one. If you are only building one computer, you likely have tools that will do the job fine. You only need a Philips and slotted screwdriver to build a PC. However, it is useful to have a couple of different sizes available.
A basic screwdriver set is very cheap and provides various sizes. For instance, Craftsman’s 14-piece set is perfect for various projects around the house and comes with some small options. But if you plan to build many computers, then investing in a high-quality screwdriver set is a good idea.
- 14-piece set
- Alloy-steel blades are heat-treated for strength and durability
- Coated with a satin-nickel finish
- Comfort Optimized handle for high & low torque applications
- Full Lifetime Warranty
Using a Screwdriver Set: What It’s Like
Using a screwdriver set for PC building is very convenient because it contains all of the different types of bits you need to assemble a computer. Swappable bits mean you don’t need a massive collection of screwdrivers, making them very portable. Most sets mentioned above also come with cases to make storage and travel easier.
But where PC screwdrivers really stand out is their ratcheting mechanisms. While not all sets come with a ratcheting screwdriver, the ones that do provide faster assembly, which leads to faster turnaround times. But perhaps most important is ergonomics since using a screwdriver often can be painful. All of the reviewed screwdrivers have a great feel that allows the user to work without much strain.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Preechar Bowonkitwanchai/Shutterstock.com.