If you’re looking for the best possible picture and video quality, you can’t do much better than getting an ultra-short throw projector setup. These projectors can display an enormous image with a short distance between the projector and the screen, and they can truly be game-changers when it comes to your home theatre experience. For these reasons and more, ultra-short throw projectors are becoming increasingly popular.
Projecting onto an ultra-short throw screen can also take your presentations to the next level, making them much more visually appealing, and it’s not as hard to set up as you might think. This guide will help you understand the different kinds of screens that work best with ultra-short throw projectors, so you can create an ideal viewing environment in any room.
With proper planning and the right screen, you’ll be able to put on captivating presentations in no time! To help you find the best screen that fits your needs, here are the five best screens to choose from:
- Best Overall: Elite Screens CLR 3
- Best Budget Option: WEMAX PSA02 UST
- Best Retractable: Vividstorm S Pro
- Best Premium: Elite Screens ezFrame CineGrey 5D
- Best ALR: Akia Screens Edge-free Fixed Frame Projector Screen
Best Overall Screen for Ultra-Short Throw Projector: Elite Screens CLR 3
- [DIMENSION SIZE] : 103" Diag. 16:9 Aspect Ratio. View Size: 50.5" H x 89.75" W.
- [SCREEN MATERIAL] : CLR 3, Ceiling Ambient Light Rejecting (CLR/ALR) Technology Features a 170° Viewing Angle with 0.8 Gain - Exclusively for Ultra Short Throw Projectors – 4K/8K Ultra HD and...
- [FEATURES] : Stunning EDGE FREE Design! Lightweight and Easy to Assemble Split Aluminum Frame.
- [INSTANT SETUP] : Includes wall mount brackets to ensure a secure and centered installation.
- [US BASED COMPANY WARRANTY] : 2-year Manufacturer's /3-year-ENR-G enhanced warranty for any purchases made by Educational, Non-profit, Religious or Government /Military organization by Elite Screens...
The Elite Screens CLR 3 ceiling light rejecting screen is our pick for the best overall screen for ultra-short throw projectors. The CLR 3 has superb color saturation and stunning black levels because of its ambient light-rejecting characteristics.
In addition, its CLR substance absorbs up to 90 percent of the light from above. The image is clear from a 170° viewing angle and 85° left and right viewing angles. For an ultra-short throw projector, a gain of 0.8 provides excellent light absorption.
The Elite Screens Aeon CLR also features an edge-free design that is reminiscent of modern flat-panel TVs. It comes in sizes varying from 103 to 123 inches diagonally. However, the Elite Screens CLR 3 does not come assembled.
As a result, the setup is complicated and might be overwhelming for beginners. Nonetheless, the Elite Screens CLR 3 is an excellent ceiling light-rejecting screen with good ALR features, low gain, and wide viewing angles, making it the ideal ultra-short throw projector screen for the majority of users.
|123 Inch diagonal
|Ambient Light Rejection
- 90% of overhead lighting is absorbed by CLR 3 (Ceiling Light Rejecting) material.
- Improves color saturation and black levels in low-light environments.
- The contrast improvement over typical matte white displays in ambient light room conditions is 75x.
- The black backing prevents light from penetrating.
- Wide viewing angle.
- Not a perfect fix for all ambient lighting issues.
- Layered surface technology, it’s more vulnerable to accidental damage than traditional screen materials.
Check out Elite Screens CLR 3 on Amazon.
Best Budget Option: WEMAX PSA02 UST
- WEMAX Nova Short Throw Laser Projector – 4K Resolution UHD HDR10 Display – Smart Laser TV for Movies, Video, Gaming, High FPS Rate – Voice Command Remote – 5K+ Apps Wireless Connectivity
- WEMAX Projector Screen, 100-inch Ambient Light Rejecting (ALR) Projection Screen for UST Ultra Short Throw Projection, Fixed Frame Screen
- 4K UHD Shows More Clarity - WEMAX Nova 4K Ultra HD Laser Projector, get 4x resolution than full HD or 1080p, superior resolution might be an understatement. 3840 x 2160, 8 million pixels, make the details of movies and games clearer
- ULTRA SHORT THROW – With 0.233:1 ultra short throw ratio, you can place this compact 4K laser projector inches from the wall and turn any room into a home cinema; get up to an astonishing 150" screen size by placing Nova just 35" away from the wall
- 100 inch ALR Screen -【100x Contrast Improvement】Ambient Light Rejecting (ALR) Technology Features a 160° Viewing Angle with 0.6 Gain - Especially for Ultra Short Throw Projectors – 8K/4K Ultra HD and Active 3D Ready. Rejects 90% of Ambient Light while Enhancing Contrast 100x Compared to Standard Matte White Screens
The WEMAX PSA02 UST Projector Screen is the best option if you are on a tight budget. Due to its exceptional ability to block ambient light, this UST screen is also perfect for both outdoor and indoor applications.
Compared to a conventional white screen, the WEMAX screen rejects 95 percent of ambient light, producing bright and high-contrast visuals. You can also use the screen in a well-lit room to watch your favorite films or television shows without drawing the curtains.
The 0.39-inch ultra-narrow margin on the WEMAX 120-inch ALR screen gives the screen an even broader appearance, enhancing your ability to immerse yourself in your preferred movies, television shows, and video games fully.
The ALR screen uses flexible PET as its base material and adopts a special grid optical structure on the screen surface to efficiently absorb the unnecessary ambient light and provide you with improved picture quality. You may watch from any seat in the room thanks to the screen’s 160-degree viewing angle.
Additionally, the 0.6 screen gain absorbs the most light, offering you a bright view and protecting your eyes at the same time. The screen installation is simple, thanks to the detailed instructions provided upon purchase.
|Ambient Light Rejection
- Wide viewing angle.
- Bright and clear images.
- High resolution.
- Strong frames for support.
- Premium sleek fixed frame design.
- Somewhat difficult to assemble and install.
Check out WEMAX PSA02 UST on Amazon.
Best Retractable Screen for Ultra-Short Throw Projector: Vividstorm S Pro
- 【New choice projector screen for UST Laser projectors】The screen material with special optical sawtooth structure and the light-rejecting filter to give a stunning performance in CEILING AMBIENT...
- 【The perfect visual effect 】The Screen size:120-inch Diagonal:16:9 Aspect Ratio;Standard View Area :104.57"Wx58.82"H;G.W.(Ibs):72.75;Screen Material: ULTRA-SHORT THROW AMBIENT LIGHT REJECTING; 0.6...
- 【Eye Protection feature & A fit for any room: 】Feast your eyes on awe-inspiring visuals with deeper colors；Projectors are able to produce much larger images, which put less strain on your...
- 【Fast easy to Set UP & Space-saving Design】Plug in the power cord to achieve the installation in 1 minute! ; No screws necessary;Change any indoor viewing place with your mood! Electric...
- 【First Class Customer Service 】A ISO9001 manufacturer since 2004. 2 years Manufacture Warranty. You no longer need a pitch black room to get a good image；Enjoy your favorite movies and TV shows...
This short throw screen from Vividstorm offers a uniquely stylish option that retracts into a small, neat package. It also has a high contrast ratio that makes it stand out. A foldable projector screen allows you to stow it and save up space in your crowded living room.
Although these kinds of screens are rare, purchasing one of the Vividstorm S Pro might ensure durability. You only use it when necessary. The ultra-short throw projector screen is an electric screen that, once plugged in, projects from the floor. The screen is fantastic for gaming and watching your favorite TV shows.
Clear, high-quality images are displayed on screens ranging from 72 to 120 inches. It also has ARL to block out any ambient light, making your movie or game more enjoyable. In addition, it offers a 170-degree viewing range, ensuring a great image even when looking from the side.
What’s more, the S Pro’s electric operation allows you to control it with the accompanying rechargeable RF and IR remote. Alternatively, you can insert a wireless switch dongle trigger into your projector to automatically raise and lower the screen when the projector is turned on or off.
There’s a height lock option for more security and bottom brackets for added stability. The Vividstorm S Pro is also tab-tensioned. Unfortunately, it comes at a high price, almost as much as a good projector. Nonetheless, if you are seeking the best image and experience possible, the Vividstorm S Pro is, without a doubt, the best retractable screen for ultra-short throw projectors.
|120 Inch maximum diagonal
|Floor mount: Electric
|Ambient Light Rejection
- Electric operation
- Floor rising design
- Wide viewing range
- The screen is controlled via a rechargeable IR and RF remote
- It does not require assembling
- High resolution
Check out Vividstorm S Pro on Amazon.
Best Premium Screen for Ultra-Short Throw Projector: Elite Screens ezFrame CineGrey 5D
- [CERTIFICATION AND DIMENSION SIZE] : ISF Certified for accurate color reproduction – An industry standard for high fidelity video display systems. 135" Diag. 16:9 Aspect Ratio. Viewing Size: 66.1" H...
- [SCREEN MATERIAL] : CineGrey 5D, Angular-Reflective Material with Ceiling/Ambient Light Rejecting (CLR/ALR) Technology Features a 80° Viewing Angle with 1.5 Gain. Standard-Throw Projectors only....
- [FEATURES] : Stunning Award Winning EDGE FREE Design, Lightweight and Easy to Assemble 6-Piece Split Aluminum Frame with All Installation and Hanging Hardware. View Set-Up / Installation Videos...
- [INSTANT SETUP] : Aeon Screen Kits Includes Full Installation Kit with Optional Use Ultra-Thin Bezel Frame and Sliding Wall Mount Brackets for Easy Hanging and Centering. Available Accessory, Sold...
- 【US BASED COMPANY WARRANTY】2-year Manufacturer's /3-year-ENR-G enhanced warranty for any purchases made by Educational, Non-profit, Religious or Government /Military organization by Elite Screens...
If you’re looking for a premium screen that is both beautiful and incredibly durable, then look no further than the Elite Screens ezFrame CineGrey 5D. It’s made of aluminum and comes with a sturdy stand that allows you to mount it on any flat surface. It’s a premium product, but it’s one of the few screens available that is optimized for UST projectors.
To get that extra inch closer to your screen, you really have to be willing to shell out. Of course, if you use your projector primarily in a large conference room or an auditorium setting, it could be worth considering as well.
The screen has a 1.5 screen gain and the capability to reject ambient light, providing high-quality images up to 180 inches. It can also display images with an 8K resolution, providing the highest possible image quality.
You can install and use the screen with ease because it is simple to put together and has a feature that rejects ambient light. A spring tension system is also included in the Elite Screens ezFrame CineGrey 5D to guarantee that the image from the ultra-short throw projector remains straight.
|Wall Fixed or Ceiling mount
|Ambient Light Rejection
- Large for big events.
- High quality for crystal-clear, detailed photos.
- Extremely saturated color.
- Wide field of view: 160 degrees.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- There are seven different screen materials available.
- Elegant design with a velvet rear border.
- High-quality material and a well-made frame.
- Difficult to assemble and install.
Check out Elite Screens ezFrame CineGrey 5D on Amazon.
- Easy to install and clean (includes installation kit)
- 4K/8K ultra HD and 3D projection ready
- 125-inch screen with a thin velvet border
- Compatible with standard, UHD, and short-throw projectors
- 2-year manufacturer warranty and lifetime support
Akia produces an excellent Akia Screens Edge-free Fixed Frame Projector Screen for UST projectors. It comes in two sizes: 123-inch and 103-inch. Its ceiling light-rejecting material has a 0.8 gain and a 90% rejection of overhead light.
Furthermore, the Akia has 85% more contrast than a conventional matte white screen. Its bezel-less design is also contemporary and provides a TV-like experience.
The black backing prevents light penetration, and an optional LED-backlit kit with remote control is available for an ambient backlight. The Akia CLR4 and CLR3 edge-free fixed-frame screens are excellent CLR ultra-short throw projector screen options.
The screen is fantastic for all of your viewing needs, including gaming. Surprisingly, the screen can display not only 4K photos but also 8K images. Even though current technology hasn’t generated much with 8K, it’s a great investment for your future gaming or viewing experiences. Despite the screen’s expensive price, its exceptional quality indicates that it is worthwhile.
|Ambient Light Rejection
- 2-year warranty
- High resolution
- A low peak-gain epic for bright photos.
- Easy to assemble and install.
- Excellent ambient light resistance.
Check out Akia Screens Edge-free Fixed Frame Projector Screen on Amazon.
How to Pick the Best Screens for Ultra-Short Throw Projectors: Step-by-Step
Ultra-short throw projectors are becoming more and more popular. In fact, they’re starting to become the norm in almost every home theatre room. However, picking the right screen can be a challenge since there are so many different models available. Here are things you should consider.
The Screen Size
Determine the size of the screen you want to project on, as most UST projectors can cover up to 150 inches. That doesn’t mean you won’t project on screens larger than that. However, huge predictions can be dull. Ensure that the screen size is appropriate for your viewing needs without leaving excessive margins.
The next thing to consider is screen gain. This refers to the amount of light reflected by the projector to the audience. More light is reflected when the gain is higher, whereas more light is absorbed by the screen when the gain is lower. Since the screen reflects a smaller amount of ambient light, a lower gain is frequently preferable for the majority of UST projectors.
The cost of the screen is an important factor to consider. If you’re on a budget, you should look for a cheaper option. But if you want a good quality screen, you should consider paying more.
Consider how you intend to mount your projector screen. Like a TV screen, a fixed frame screen hangs on the wall and is a permanent fixture. Drop-down displays are suspended from the ceiling and can be kept out of sight.
A drop-down screen for UST projectors should still be made of CLR, tensioned, and available as an electric screen. Finally, there are floor-rising screens that rise from the ground. Like a drop-down display, a floor-rising projector screen is ideal for a tidy setup.
Ceiling Light Rejecting (CLR)
CLR screens absorb light from above while reflecting the projector’s beam back at the viewer. A CLR screen is a form of ALR screen (ambient light rejecting). ALR screens filter out light from sources other than the projector itself.
This is accomplished by employing an angled surface that reflects projector light while also reflecting ambient light from higher angles. This produces a brighter image than a non-ALR screen. Make sure the screen you buy includes CLR technology for a brighter view.
What to Know Before Buying the Best Screens for Ultra-Short Throw Projectors
Buying the best screens for ultra-short throw projectors is a huge decision. You want to make sure you’re getting the right screen for your projector and that it’s going to last! Here are some tips to help you choose.
First, think about how much space you have available in your home. If it’s small, then you’ll want a small screen so that everything will fit on top of it without being too crowded. If you live in a bigger space, then a bigger screen might be better for your needs. You may also consider purchasing retractable screens to save space.
Secondly, think about how important it is for the image quality of your projector to be as high-definition as possible. This means that you’ll need a higher resolution than what some other people might have.
Finally, consider whether or not you need something that can be mounted on the wall or ceiling and, if so, what kind of mounting system is necessary (or even possible) for such an installation.
Using the Best Screen for Ultra-Short Throw Projector: What It’s Like
It’s difficult to overstate how different it is to use an ultra-short throw projector. Being able to project a beautiful, bright picture from just a couple of feet away from your screen can change everything about how you watch TV.
There’s something incredibly cool about sharing such a large picture with so few steps and without having your seating area be so far away from where you’re projecting.
Also, when you’re not sitting right in front of your TV or computer monitor, it’s easier to interact with people in other parts of your home or apartment. You can also move easily around while watching a movie or playing video games, since you don’t have to worry as much about moving out of range or adjusting focus every time you get up from your seat.
Ultra-Short Throw Projectors in the News
As of 2023, ultra-short throw projectors continue to be a popular choice for consumers. Laser technology continues to get better and better, allowing for a crisper and cleaner projection image that rivals a flat screen television.
HDR (high dynamic range) technology is also continuing to improve, allowing projectors to cast a wider range of colors and contrast onto various screens across the market. With more realistic and immersive viewing experiences on the horizon, the future of ultra-short throw projectors is looking bright.
- The 5 Best Reasons to Avoid an LG C3 TV — When it comes to TV options, the market certainly isn’t lacking. Here’s one you may want to skip over on the hunt for your next TV model.
- 5 Reasons to Avoid a New Portable Projector Today — Trying to take your home theater on the road? Here’s why you might want to stick to a home projector.
- 7 Reasons to Buy a VACASSO Smart Movie Projector Today — We make a case for one of the hottest movie projectors on the market and why this could seriously upgrade your home theater setup.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Photo by Alex Litvin on Unsplash.