Streaming video content from services like Netflix, Hulu, and Twitch can be fun, but it’s no fun if your Internet connection isn’t capable of keeping up with the video quality you want to stream at. That’s why it’s important to know what the best router for streaming is.
Naturally, it’s hard to get the best streaming experience when using a poor Wi-Fi signal. This is because of the difference in specifications and features between optimal routers and substandard ones. When we talk specifically about routers, there are a few things that you need to consider before choosing one, such as speed, range, budget, and more.
This guide will help you determine which router will be the best fit for your streaming needs based on what it offers, how much it costs, and how easy it is to set up.
- Best Overall Router for Streaming: TP-Link AX6600
- Best Budget Option: TP-Link AX1800
- Best Router for Livestreaming: NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Router (RAX200)
- Best Router for Heavy Streaming: ASUS ROG Rapture Wi-Fi 6 Router
- Best Mesh Wi-Fi Router: TP-Link Deco AX3000
- Best for Big Homes: NETGEAR Orbi AX6000
Best Overall Router for Streaming: TP-Link AX6600
- Faster AX6600 Tri-Band Wi-Fi - 4804 Mbps (5 GHz) plus 1201 Mbps (5 GHz) plus 574 Mbps (2.4 GHz)
- Ultra Connectivity - 1× 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN port plus 1× 1 Gbps WAN/LAN port plus 3× Gigabit LAN ports and two USB ports ensure max flexibility and boosted throughput; The 2.5 Gbps WAN or LAN port and...
- Maximized Coverage - Eight high-gain antennas equipped with Beamforming ensure long range coverage Operating Temperature: 0℃-40℃ (32℉ -104℉)
- More Devices with Less Lag - OFDMA and MU-MIMO technology deliver data to multiple devices, simultaneously
- TP-Link HomeShield – TP-Link's premium security services keep your home network safe with cutting-edge features for network and IoT protection, including free features 1. Network Security Scan 2....
If you’re looking for a router that can stream Netflix, Twitch, and other video services at maximum speed, then the TP-Link AX6600 is the one for you. It’s fast, reliable, and gives you plenty of options to customize your home network.
The TP-Link Archer AX90 offers five-gigabit ports, which means that it can give you the bandwidth you need to support multiple devices without slowing down your connection. Its USB 3.0 ports allow you to connect external storage drives or printers with ease. It also has a built-in VPN server for secure access to all its features.
The TP-Link Archer AX90’s software is easy to use. It also offers advanced features, like programmable QoS settings that prioritize traffic based on importance. This Tri-Band router has all the features you need to stream videos and music from any device in your home network. It also has several security features that help protect your network from potential threats.
Check out TP-Link AX6600 on Amazon.
Best Budget Router for Streaming: TP-Link AX1800
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Internet Router: Wi-Fi 6(802. 11ax) technology achieves faster speeds, greater capacity and reduced network congestion compared to the previous generation
- Next-Gen 1. 8 Gbps Speeds: Enjoy smoother and more stable streaming, gaming, downloading and more with Wi-Fi speeds up to 1. 8 Gbps (1200 Mbps on 5 GHz band and 574 Mbps on 2. 4 GHz band)
- Connect more devices: Wi-Fi 6 technology communicates more data to more devices simultaneously using revolutionary OFDMA technology
- Extensive Coverage: Achieve the strong, reliable Wi-Fi coverage with Archer AX1800 as it focuses signal strength to your devices far away using Beamforming technology, 4 high-gain antennas and an...
If you’re looking to save some money on your next router purchase, the TP-Link AX1800 is a great option. It’s a dual-band AC750 router that’s perfect if you’re streaming Netflix or other high-bandwidth content on your devices.
The TP-Link Archer AX1800 also has four gigabit Ethernet ports that allow you to connect multiple devices simultaneously. So, you won’t have to worry about running out of bandwidth when watching videos and downloading files from your computer.
This router has fast 802.11ax speeds (up to 1.8Gbps), but it also includes OFDMA technology that improves connection speeds. This router offers WPA3 encryption standards, which are useful for online gaming. Its beamforming antenna system helps eliminate dead zones, so you’ll always have a strong signal wherever you are in your home.
You can also set up parental controls so kids can’t access the content they shouldn’t be watching while you’re away from home. If you’re looking for something with a low price point that will still give you all the tools you need to stream in HD without lag or buffering issues, this is your best bet.
Check out TP-Link AX1800 on Amazon.
Best Router for Livestreaming: NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Router (RAX200)
- Maximum Range : 2500 Sq Ft
- UNLEASH FASTER SPEED, EVEN MORE POWER: Optimal for devices built to support WiFi 6: Playstation 5, iPhone 11 & 12, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 13 & Mac Mini, Ultra Notebooks, Samsung S10 & S20.
- WIFI 6 – STREAM EVERYTHING AT FASTER SPEED: Simultaneously stream uninterrupted movies, games, video calls or download/transfer files at 10.8 Gbps WiFi speed.
- WORKS WITH ALL INTERNET PROVIDERS: Replace your existing WiFi Router (separate modem or gateway required). Compatible with any Internet Service Provider up to 2Gbps including cable, satellite, fiber,...
- EASY TO SET-UP AND MANAGE: Connects to your existing cable modem and sets up and customizes in minutes with the Nighthawk app – easily manage your WiFi settings at the device and network level, test...
If you’re looking for a router that will allow you to Livestream your gaming sessions with no lag or buffering, the NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Router (RAX200) is a good place to start. This device has powerful tri-band Wi-Fi speeds of up to 10.8 Gbps, so you’ll have no trouble streaming video content at home.
It’s loaded with features like Amazon Alexa Voice Control, OFDMA, Smart Connect, and MU-MIMO technology. This router also comes equipped with Beamforming+ technology which helps maintain stable connections by directing signal where you need it most.
In addition to its streaming prowess, the NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Router (RAX200) offers plenty of other features like parental controls, VPN, DoS, and guest networks that are easy to set up thanks to its intuitive dashboard interface.
This router also has integrated wireless ethernet ports that allow you to connect your gaming console or computer directly to the router to play games without lag or delay. It also has two USB 3.0 ports, so you can add storage to your network if needed.
Check out NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Router (RAX200) on Amazon.
Best Router for Heavy Streaming: ASUS ROG Rapture Wi-Fi 6 Router
- Triple level game acceleration accelerate game traffic With device, game packet and game server prioritization
- Cutting edge hardware offers the best performance 1.8 GigaHertz Quad Core cpu and 2.5 G gaming port for ultimate performance
- Your own gaming mesh network Compatible with ASUS AiMesh Wi Fi system for seamless whole home coverage.Memory:256 MB Flash,1 GB RAM
- ASUS wrt enables support for open, advanced monitoring and control which includes device bandwidth utilization as well as device or usage prioritization
- ASUS AiProtection security to neutralize internet threats before they hit your network
If you’re looking for a router that can handle your heavy streaming needs without giving up any of the great features you need for everyday life — like a fast Wi-Fi connection — the ASUS ROG Rapture Wi-Fi 6 Router is our top pick.
With the latest 802.11ax wireless technology (which is faster than previous standards), this router has a range of up to 3,500 feet, and its USB ports allow you to connect it directly to your TV if you want to use it as a media streamer.
You also get support for OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec protocols and parental controls that allow you to track how much time your kids spend on the Internet (and block any sites they’ve been going to). It has a tri-band design with four external antennas that ensure a strong connection to the Internet.
The ASUS ROG Rapture Wi-Fi 6 Router also comes with six-gigabit ports, which provide high-speed data transfers. Additionally, it has a USB 3.0 port so users can connect external hard drives or printers and print wirelessly. Plus, this router is compatible with the ASUS Router App, which makes managing your network easy.
You’ll find everything you need in this router’s menu: bandwidth management settings (including channel width), an intuitive graphical user interface, parental-control options, and even network speed testing tools so you can see where your bandwidth is being used most.
Check out ASUS ROG Rapture Wi-Fi 6 Router on Amazon.
Best Mesh Wi-Fi Router for Streaming: TP-Link Deco AX3000
- WiFi 6 Mesh Wi-Fi - Next-gen Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 whole home mesh system to eliminate weak Wi-Fi for good(2×2/HE160 2402 Mbps plus 2×2 574 Mbps)¹²
- More than a WiFi Router - Deco X55 can work as a standalone Wi-Fi Router. All the TP-Link Deco Mesh can work together. Better than traditional WiFi Router and Range Extender.
- Whole Home WiFi Coverage - Covers up to 2500 square feet with 1 Deco X55. Simply add more Deco if you need more coverage. Enjoy seamless high-performance Wi-Fi 6 and eliminate dead zones and...
- More Gigabit Ports - Each Deco X55 has 3 Gigabit Ethernet ports and supports Wired Ethernet Backhaul(with multi packs) for better speeds.
- AI-Driven Mesh - Intelligently learns the network environment to provide ideal WiFi unique to your home
TP-Link is one of the most reliable brands in wireless networking. The TP-Link Deco AX3000 has a ton of features to help keep your network secure. It has three Gigabit Ethernet ports in each pack, which makes it ideal for streaming videos, audio, and other data at high speeds.
It’s easy to install and set up, and its dual-band Wi-Fi speeds are excellent for streaming HD video. The Deco AX3000 also has a USB port that can be used to connect external hard drives, or you can use it as a storage device if you want to share photos with your friends.
This reliable router delivers a consistent, strong connection throughout your home thanks to its advanced mesh Wi-Fi technology. With its dual-band, MU-MIMO, and advanced anti-interference technology, the Deco AX3000 ensures you can enjoy smooth and uninterrupted streaming without buffering or lagging.
The Deco AX3000 also features powerful parental controls, allowing you to monitor and manage the content your family has access to. Whether watching your favorite movie on Netflix or streaming your favorite game on Twitch, the TP-Link Deco AX3000 will ensure you have the best streaming experience possible.
Check out TP-Link Deco AX3000 on Amazon.
Best for Big Homes: NETGEAR Orbi AX6000
- Coverage up to 5,000 sq. ft. and for up to 100 devices. Extend coverage up to 2,500 sq. ft. with each additional satellite (sold separately). Works with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant
- Ultrafast AX6000 gigabit speed with WiFi 6 technology for uninterrupted streaming, HD video gaming, and web conferencing
- Compatible with any internet service provider up to 2.5Gbps including cable, satellite, fiber and DSL
- Connects to your existing cable modem, and replaces your WiFi router
- Sets up in minutes with the Orbi App; easily manage WiFi settings, test internet speed, and monitor data usage
The NETGEAR Orbi AX6000 is one of the most powerful routers on the market today. It has more than enough power to handle even the most demanding streaming needs. If you’re a gamer or streamer with a large home with many devices connected to Wi-Fi, the Netgear Orbi AX6000 is the best router on this list.
Its adjustable antenna can cover up to 5,000 square feet of space. The Orbi AX6000 is perfect for big homes with lots of people in them — you won’t have to worry about network congestion or slow speeds as long as you have enough bandwidth to spare.
This powerful router offers a variety of features to meet your needs, including a whopping 8-stream tri-band setup that allows for efficient streaming and speeds up to 6 Gbps. It features eight Ethernet ports and a USB port, so you can connect multiple devices simultaneously.
This includes gaming consoles like PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch, as well as smart TVs — and all of them will be able to stream seamlessly to your TV screen without any buffering delays or interruptions in service. The Orbi AX6000 is also equipped with MU-MIMO technology that supports multiple devices simultaneously, so everyone in the house can enjoy their favorite streaming services without interruption.
Additionally, this router is equipped with advanced security features such as WPA2, parental controls, and guest networks to keep your network safe from hackers and other malicious threats. Finally, the Orbi AX6000 comes with a 1-year warranty for added peace of mind.
Check out NETGEAR Orbi AX6000 on Amazon.
How to Pick the Best Routers for Streaming Netflix, Twitch, and More: Step by Step
Having a reliable router is essential when streaming your favorite movies and shows. The best streaming routers are designed to ensure your experience is as smooth as possible. Keep in mind that there are many factors that contribute to whether or not a specific router will be perfect for you, but here are the major ones:
- Port Availability
- Dual-Band vs. Tri-Band
- Quality of service (QoS)
Now let’s explore each one in more detail.
Speed is perhaps the most important factor when it comes to streaming. If your router can’t keep up with your connection speeds, it will result in buffering and lag. The ideal router should support speeds of at least 1000 Mbps, so look for a dual-band or tri-band system.
Dual-band routers provide two separate networks — one for 2.4GHz connections and one for 5GHz connections. Tri-band routers have an additional 5GHz network that allows for even faster speeds.
This will ensure that your router can keep up with your connection speeds, reducing the chances of buffering and lag. It’s also a good idea to look for routers with the latest 802.11ax technology (also known as Wi-Fi 6) if you want to future-proof your home network.
You’ll want to ensure your router has enough range to cover your whole house, so look for one with multiple antennas or an external one. The router’s range will determine how far you can be from the router and still get a strong signal.
Look for routers with a long range so you can stream content in rooms farther away from the router without having to worry about connection issues. A good router will cover your entire home and have enough bandwidth to handle high-speed streaming.
If you have a large house, getting a dual-band router that provides both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands is better. Tri-band routers (which offer both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and an additional 5 GHz band) are also great for large homes.
The number of ports determines how many devices you can connect and how much data you can send and receive. The more ports, the better your streaming experience will be.
Look for routers with at least four Ethernet ports, allowing you to connect multiple devices simultaneously. Many routers also include USB ports, which can connect external hard drives or peripherals.
Dual-Band vs. Tri-Band
Tri-band routers are the latest types of routers. A tri-band router has a 2.4 GHz band and two 5 GHz bands, which can be used simultaneously for speeds up to 3.2 Gbps. The second 5 GHz band provides the extra performance and is perfect for multiple users streaming simultaneously or playing games.
The additional frequency can also reduce congestion on your network, allowing faster speeds and smoother streaming. Dual-band routers are commonly used but only have one 2.4 GHz band and one 5 GHz band.
The 2.4 GHz band is usually slower than the 5 GHz band, so dual-band routers will be slightly slower overall than tri-bands. The best routers for streaming on today’s market are tri-band wireless routers with both 2.4 GHz and two 5 GHz frequencies built in.
This allows you to connect multiple devices at once without upgrading your router or switching out your current one. If you are only going to be using the router to stream content from one device at a time, then a dual-band router is probably sufficient. However, if you will be streaming multiple devices at once or playing online games, then a tri-band router might be worth considering.
Quality of service (QoS)
QoS is a feature that allows you to prioritize certain types of traffic, such as streaming or gaming. This ensures that your router will prioritize these types of traffic, resulting in fewer lag spikes. So, check out routers with QoS if you want a smooth streaming experience.
When looking for a router with QoS, you should consider the type of traffic it supports. Different routers have different capabilities when it comes to QoS.
Some routers prioritize certain types of traffic over others, while others can recognize and prioritize different types of traffic. If you plan on streaming media such as Netflix or Twitch, look for a router with QoS that will prioritize video streaming traffic over other types of traffic.
What To Know Before Buying a Router for Streaming
Streaming services like Netflix and Twitch are becoming increasingly popular. To make sure you have a smooth streaming experience, it is important to invest in a reliable router that can keep up with your streaming needs. When selecting the best router for streaming, there are several factors to consider.
The first thing to look for when choosing a router for streaming is its speed. If your router is not fast enough, your streaming experience will suffer. It is best to look for routers that can provide speeds of at least 100 Mbps, but faster speeds may be necessary depending on your needs.
The next factor to consider is the router’s range. If you need to stream in multiple rooms, or if you have a large house, you will want to ensure the router you choose has a long range that can cover all areas where you plan to stream. This is especially important if you plan to use multiple devices while streaming.
The router’s ports are also important. Many routers come with multiple Ethernet ports, allowing you to connect more than one device directly to the router. Additionally, look for a router with USB ports to easily share files and printers between devices.
Also, consider the budget you have available for a new router. Routers can range in price from budget models to more expensive ones with additional features. It’s important to understand what features are necessary and which are optional when choosing a router for streaming.
Finally, consider the security features of the router. Ensure it has an updated security system to protect your network from malicious attacks. Look for features such as WPA2 encryption, parental controls, and firewalls that can help keep your data safe.
Using the Best Router for Streaming: What It’s Like
If you’re a streaming enthusiast, you know it’s all about having the right equipment. You need an internet connection that is fast and reliable and a router that can handle the load of all your streaming needs.
Using a router specifically designed for streaming can make a huge difference in your experience. You’ll be able to enjoy smooth, uninterrupted streaming of all your favorite services like Netflix, Twitch, and many more.