- When determining the best portable battery and power bank, you need to consider amp hours, sie, price, and durability.
- It is also important to consider the quick-charing capabilities of each option, as well as the option for pass-through charging. Quality and available customer support are other considerations.
- The Mophie Powerstation XXL was voted the best overall pick.
When looking for the best portable batteries to charge your phone, you’re going to want to know what to look for. The main aspects to consider include a good balance of amp hours, size, price, and durability. A cheap power bank might seem enticing, but you could find yourself wondering why it won’t work after a long day of charging your devices.
It’s important to know how you plan on using your portable charger. A highly rugged power bank might be overkill for a night out on the town. On the other hand, a smaller battery might not offer the charging capabilities needed for a busy work regimen. Whatever your goals, we’ve got the best power bank for you.
After reviewing what must have been over 20 options, our highest-rated portable batteries are:
- Best overall: Mophie Powerstation XXL
- Best for Weight: Anker PowerCore 13000
- Best for Capacity: MaxOak K2 50000
- Best for Portability: INIU PowerPaw Series 10000
- Best for Price: Nimble CHAMP Lite
- Best for Camping: Goal Zero Venture 75
Best Portable Battery Specs
|Brand||Capacity||Size and Weight||Price||Output Ports|
|Mophie Powerstation XXL||20,000mAh||3.6×6.1×0.8″|
|$59.99||2 USB-A, 1 USB-C|
|Anker PowerCore 13000||13,000mAh||3.8×3.1×0.9″|
|MaxOak K2 50000||50,000mAh||8.1×5.3×1.7″|
|INIU PowerPaw Series 10000||10,000mAh||5.2×2.7×0.5″|
|Nimble CHAMP Lite||5,200mAh||3.0×2.2×1.0″|
|Goal Zero Venture 75||19,200mAh||6.1×22.214.171.124″|
Best Overall: Mophie Powerstation XXL
There are a lot of great portable chargers out there, but this one tops them all. The Mophie Powerstation XXL offers 20,000mAh of power capacity at just a little thicker than the iPhone 13. It has three USB ports and Qualcomm Quick Charge compatibility, keeping your devices charged when you need them. At only $70, you’re hard-pressed to find an equally efficient power bank for the price.
As one of the best power banks on the market, you can expect to charge your smartphone several times, and even use it to power your laptop. However, the Mophie Powerstation XXL is really only designed for typical use. Not rated for shock or water resistance, you might not want to use this device on camping trips or in inclement weather.
- VERSATILE, MULTI-DEVICE CHARGING SOLUTION - Featuring a 20,000 mAh large internal battery, the mophie Powerstation XXL high-capacity power bank allows superfast charging that can fully charge your...
- CHARGE YOUR DEVICE IN A FLASH - With an 18W USB-C Power Delivery Output, charge your phone at the fastest speed possible and get up to 50 percent battery in just 30 minutes. The USB-C port can be used...
- COMPATIBLE WITH A WIDE RANGE OF GADGETS - Along with the USB-C PD port, the portable power bank also features 2 USB-A ports for charging smartphones, tablets, and other USB-enabled devices. The pack...
- INTEGRATED LED BATTERY-LEVEL INDICATION - The mophie Powerstation XXL features an integrated 4-light LED power indicator which displays the charging status and current battery life, so you never run...
- FUNCTIONAL & STYLISH - With a classy fabric finish that prevents scuffs and scratches, the power bank is your perfect travel companion. It fits easily in your bag so you can carry it to work or on...
Best for Weight: Anker PowerCore 13000
Maybe you want a quality portable battery that doesn’t feel like you’re carrying around a brick. That’s where the Anker PowerCore 13000 comes in. The PowerCore’s design features two ports and 13,000mAh of power in just under nine ounces. You’ll find the industry standard you’d expect from Anker at just under $40.
The little power bank is even impact-rated, meaning it can take a drop or two. This makes it an ideal option for outdoor excursions. However, the device is not Qualcomm Quick Charge compatible, so don’t expect it to charge your devices quickly. Could you consider that a silver lining for those taking it camping?
Best for Capacity: MaxOak K2 50000
If we’re going to look at power capacity, let’s just address the elephant in the room; the more power the battery can store, the bigger it’s going to be. And the MaxOak K2 50000 doesn’t try to hide that. With four USB outlets and two DC outlets, you can charge your and your friend’s laptops simultaneously on a single capacity. The power bank has a high-quality lithium-polymer battery that can last up to 10 years, so you never have to worry about overstressing it.
However, the Max Oak K2 was designed with laptops in mind and doesn’t come with Qualcomm Quick Charge capabilities. But because it features two DC outlets, you can still use your USB-C adapter to power your smartphone fast.
- Superior Quality&SAFETY Guaranteed: Conform to UL1642 and UL2056 Standards. Constructed with Lithium-ion Polymer Battery Cells&Built-in 6 Security Protections to Ensure Safety Use and 1000+ Long...
- Long-lasting DC Power Bank for Laptops:Ultra High Capacity 50000mAh(3.7V)/185Wh(130W Max.).Compatible With a Wide Variety of Laptops(Max.130W)- Dell HP Lenovo Surface pro 2/3/4(DC12V) Sony Samsung...
- DC20V/DC12V/USB5V Outputs:All-IN-1 FAST CHARGE Battery Pack.It Features with 1*DC20V/5A for Laptops(18.5V~20.5V), 1*DC12V/2.5A for Cameras,Routers,LED lights, 2*USB 5V/2.1A and 2*USB 5V/1A For Smart...
- Emergency Battery Backup for Outdoors. Size 8.1" x 5.3" x 1.3" And Weight 2.77lb.You Can Easily Put This Portable Charger in Your Briefcase ,Backpack Or the Carrying Bag. Keep your laptops, Phones,...
- WHAT YOU CAN GET: 1 x Laptop power bank(K2),1 x AC Adapter, 1 x DC cable, 14 x DC connector for Laptops, 1 x Multifunction bag, 1 x Manual.
Best for Portability: INIU PowerPaw Series 10000
For a device that you could easily forget in your pocket, the best portable battery is the INIU PowerPaw. But even though this charger measures 5.2 x 2.7 inches, it packs in a ton of features. It offers 10,000mAh of power, along with three USB ports and a built-in flashlight. One of our favorite features? INIU’s standard-setting three-year warranty.
As a lesser-known tech company, however, you’re taking a risk on INIU’s budding reputation. Customers are discovering that while the device has the potential to charge their devices quickly, it doesn’t actually feature Qualcomm Quick Charge compatibility.
- ✅【From INIU--the SAFE Fast Charge Pro】Experience the safest charging with over 38 million global users. At INIU, we use only the highest-grade materials, so we do have the confidence to provide...
- ✅【Market's Thinnest 10000mAh】 The market’s one and only 0.5-inch power bank that breaks the limit of 10000mAh, easily slipped into any travel lover's pockets or bag. Enjoy the days’ worth of...
- ✅【Faster 3A Charging Saves You 45 Mins】Faster 3A charging enables fueling your iPhone up to 78% in 1 hour, which markedly outpaces 2.1A's charging 36% in the same time. 3A faster speed sets you...
- Power bank portable charger battery pack powerbank external battery cell phone chargers power adapters 10000mah battery backup usb battery banks ravpower charging power pod power packs slim samll...
- ✅【Juice Up All from Big to Small】Unlike the market’s most power banks incapable of charging low-current accessories, INIU got effortless power to fuel not only all phones, tablets but your...
Best for Price: Nimble CHAMP Lite
The Nimble CHAMP Lite is a portable charger that does it all: quick charge, featherlike weight, and affordable price. It features two USB ports and works with any device. 5,200mAh is enough to keep your phone charged while also allowing the power bank a slender frame.
While $30 might not make it the cheapest portable battery on the market, it does make it the best portable battery for affordability. Not only does this device compete with major brands, but Nimble also uses recycled plastic in its products and biodegradable, recycled paper in its packaging. Not only are its customers purchasing quality tech, but they’re also reducing its carbon footprint.
Best for Camping: Goal Zero Venture 75
When looking for the best power banks for camping, all normal metrics go out the window; your quick-charging, the multi-port device won’t be any good if it can’t withstand impacts, dust, or moisture. That’s why the Goal Zero Venture 75 tops all other devices in this category.
This device was designed to be outdoors. It has an IP67 rating, meaning it’s impervious to dust and debris, and won’t take on water, even if it’s submerged up to three feet for 30 minutes. It also offers 19,200mAh of power for long weekends away and a USB-C port for quick charging.
Now, Goal Zero’s design doesn’t exactly make it the most affordable; you can expect to spend $120 on the device. However, you’re getting what you pay for here. And with Goal Zero’s two-year warranty and customer service, you’ll know your purchase is protected.
How to Pick the Best Power Bank: Step by Step
When choosing a portable charger, there are four main considerations.
- Amp Hours
Let’s review each one in more detail.
When looking for the best portable batteries, the first aspect you’re likely to notice is the amp hours. Ranging from 5,000-50,000mAh, this number represents the amount of current that can flow from the battery.
Each 1,000mAh = 1Ah, which means that the battery can supply one amp for an hour. The battery’s charge lasts depending on the size of the device it’s charging. To determine how long a power bank will last for your phone, you’ll have to find out how many amps its battery takes.
Size and Weight
In general, the larger your portable battery’s capacity, the bigger and heavier it will be. While some power banks are smaller than a deck of cards, others might need storage in a bag or purse. When looking for the right power bank for you, consider how and when you’ll use it most often; the size should be appropriate for its use.
The adage stands with portable batteries – You get what you pay for. You might find a 10,000mAh device for $15, only to find out that it doesn’t charge after you drop it. On the other hand, devices with added features such as multiple USB-C ports, built-in flashlights, and supreme capacity will range from 100-300 dollars.
As mentioned above, you don’t want to purchase a portable charger without considering its durability. Batteries are fickle, and the slightest disturbance can mess up their internal structure. Knowing how you plan on using your power bank will help you decide how tough it should be.
What to Know Before Buying a Portable Battery
Before you buy a portable charger, it’s important to know the fast-charging protocols that it’s capable of. Many smaller brands might advertise their USB-C port as fast-charging (which it technically does), but it isn’t an actual fast-charging protocol. Look for Qualcomm Quick Charging capacities in your charger, which boosts the voltage of the battery. Qualcomm has set the industry standard in quick charging, and you can expect quality out of a device with this feature.
You also want to consider a charger with pass-through charging. This allows for your portable battery to charge your phone while it is also charging. This is useful for those times when your phone and battery are both low on power.
Finally, this is an industry where not all brands provide similar quality. You might find a generic power bank with the same specs as Anker for less. It’s essential to know that what you gain in affordability, you lose in quality and support. Many market leaders have a reputation for backing up their products and offering great customer support with their devices.
Using a Portable Charger: What it’s Like
For a hands-on approach, there are a couple of aspects that are more noticeable during field tests. The two most important distinctions when using these power banks were charge time and size. In some cases, when the chargers didn’t include fast charging, we found ourselves fidgeting. Pampered with our lightning chargers, it could often feel like going back in time.
The size and weight also made a huge impression on how we used the chargers. In cases like the Mophie, we found ourselves pulling out the charger when we wanted our phone. In other instances, such as with the MaxOak, we wouldn’t even pack the device when out on a hike.
- The Best Gaming Monitors For 2022 – Reviewed and Ranked
- The 7 Best Gaming Keyboards Available Today
- AirPods Max vs Beats Studio 3: Which Is Better?