What is the absolute best motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X? This is a question we have been hearing ever since the release of AMD’s flagship Ryzen 9 processor. Today, we’ll explore in detail the best motherboards to pair with your Ryzen 9 5900X.
If you are building a PC for VR gaming, or even just an office computer, the Ryzen 9 5900X is one of the best processors you can buy. It is also essential to select a motherboard to complement this powerful CPU. You don’t want to be stuck with a low-quality motherboard, or worse, one that breaks down within a year.
After reviewing the best motherboards we could find, here are the results.
- Best overall: MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
- Best budget option: ASRock B450M STEEL LEGEND
- Best compact option: ASUS ROG Strix B550-I
- Best for durability: GIGABYTE B550 Vision D-P
- Best for performance: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Best Overall Motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X: MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
- Supports AMD Ryzen 5000 Series, 5000 G-Series, 4000 G-Series, 3000 Series, 3000 G-Series, 2000 Series and 2000 G-Series desktop processors
- Supports DDR4 Memory, Dual Channel 5300(OC) MHz+
- Extreme Power Design: Direct 16+2+1 phases with 90A Smart Power Stage and dual CPU power connectors to unleash the maximum performance
- Quadruple M.2 Connectors: Onboard 4x M.2 connectors for the maximum storage performance with Lightning Gen 4 solution
- Premium Thermal Solution: Aluminum Cover, VRM Heat-pipe, 7W/mK thermal pads, Double-sided M.2 Shield Frozr and MOSFET Baseplate
After reviewing dozens of motherboards, picking out a favorite was tricky. The best motherboard offers a good combination of durability, performance, and price. With all this in mind, we’ve found the best overall motherboard for the Ryzen 9 5900X: the MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX.
MSI has built a great reputation over the years with its gaming laptops, motherboards, video cards, and PC components. The MEG X570S ACE MAX is a shining example of the best bang for your buck you can get. What makes this motherboard special is the unique design that elegantly arranges all of your components in a sturdy layout, with tons of added features.
Additionally, this motherboard supports Zen 3 architecture right out of the box, so you can install your Ryzen 9 5900X and start gaming right away. While older boards may require a BIOS update, the MEG X570S ACE MAX is designed for full compatibility.
Packed with features like WiFi 6, PCI-e 4.0, and customizable RGB lighting, this motherboard has all the essentials to create a custom PC build. What is special about this board is its selection of ports and expansion slots. On the rear panel, you’ll find a whopping 12 USB ports, more than half of which are the latest high-speed standard.
Check out the MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX on Amazon.
Best Budget Motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X: ASRock B450M STEEL LEGEND
- Country Of Origin : China
- Slots: 3X Pci-Express 3.0 X16 Slots (One Runs At X8, One Runs At X4), 3X Pci Express 2. 0 X16 Slots (Run At X4), 1X Pci Express 2. 0 X1 Slot
- Multi-Graphics: Supports Amd Quad Crossfire And Crossfire Technology. Os - Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit
- Audio: Realtek Alc892 7. 1-Channel High Definition Audio Codec With Content Protection
Finding a decent motherboard when you’re working with a limited budget can be tricky. Often, you have to sacrifice some features to save money. We reviewed dozens of motherboards to find one that gives you solid performance at a good price. The best budget motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X is the ASRock B450M STEEL LEGEND.
This motherboard doesn’t suffer from the cheap quality you’ll find on other boards at this price point. Instead, you get a solid motherboard with support for Zen 3 and the latest DDR4. Additionally, ASRock may not offer the level of performance and durability that you expect from other brands, but the features provided are still competitive.
On the rear panel, you get a selection of ports, including USB, HDMI, and ethernet. You’ll be able to plug in various peripherals, gaming keyboards, and accessories with the included connections. Overall, the ASRock B450M STEEL LEGEND offers you a great bang for your buck.
Check out ASRock B450M STEEL LEGEND on Amazon.
Best Compact Motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X: ASUS ROG Strix B550-I
- AMD AM4 Socket and PCIe 4. 0: The perfect pairing for Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 & 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen CPUs
- Robust Power Design: 8+2 DrMOS power stages with high-quality alloy chokes and durable capacitors provide reliable power for the latest high-core-count AMD CPUs
- Optimized Thermal Solution: VRM and PCH heatsinks with ASUS Stack Cool 3+ design keep your system running reliably under heavy load by enhancing passive cooling capacity for critical onboard components.
- High-performance Gaming Networking: On-board WiFi 6 (802.11ax), Bluetooth V5.1 and 2.5 Gb LAN with ASUS LANGuard
- Best Gaming Connectivity: Supports HDMI 2.1 ([email protected]) and DisplayPort 1.2 output, featuring dual M.2 slots (NVMe SSD)—one with PCIe 4.0 x4 connectivity, USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel Type-C connector, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port
When assembling a compact PC build, finding a motherboard with all the features you want can be hard. We checked out many different motherboards to find one that saves space but doesn’t sacrifice important features. After thorough research, we have discovered the perfect one for the job. The best compact motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X is the ASUS ROG Strix B550-I.
What makes this motherboard ideal for a compact PC, is the mini-ITX form factor. Its space-saving design provides a compact base to install all your components. Additionally, you don’t need to sacrifice features you need for gaming, streaming, or working. The Asus ROG Strix B550-I has everything you need to build a small PC.
With Zen 3 support out of the box, you can easily install your Ryzen 9 5900X. You get PCI-e 4.0 support for the latest graphics cards, so you can install whichever GPU you desire. Additionally, you’re provided with two DDR4 slots for RAM and four SATA connectors for plugging in additional hard drives.
In addition to standard features, this motherboard has some extras typically only found on larger boards. WiFi 6 is provided for connecting to your wireless networks, and you even get a highspeed M.2 slot for installing an NVMe SSD. Overall, you get some useful features on this motherboard, all while staying small and compact.
Check out ASUS ROG Strix B550-I on Amazon.
Best Durable Motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X: Best for durability: GIGABYTE B550 Vision D-P
- Supports AMD Ryzen 5000 Series / 3rd Gen Ryzen and 3rd Gen Ryzen with Radeon Graphics Processors
- Reliability ensured by DDR4 ECC & Non-ECC memory with 4 physical DIMM slots
- Multi-graphics configurations offered by dual PCIe 4.0/3.0 x16, and one PCIe 3.0 x16 slots
- Fully Quadro QVL Tested, limitless connectivity by Thunderbolt 3
- High-bandwidth and low-latency network support by dual 2.5GbE Ethernet
If durability is your main concern, sorting out the good motherboards from the bad can be confusing. Every motherboard claims to be durable, but not all of them are. After digging deep into the details of a wide variety of boards, we found the best durable motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X: the Best for durability: GIGABYTE B550 Vision D-P.
Gigabyte has always had a solid reputation for making quality motherboards, so this choice was an easy one. Additionally, this motherboard offers a ton of hard-to-find features that really make it unique.
The most notable aspect of the B550 Vision D-P is the design. The first thing you notice when looking at this motherboard is the variety of white heat shields protecting each component. These heat shields are nice to look at and provide additional thermal control for your PC. All the important capacitors and even the rear panel are covered with a good-looking white heat shield.
Additionally, this motherboard offers a good foundation to build your PC. With four DDR4 slots for RAM and four SATA ports for hard drives, you’ll be able to upgrade your system extensively. You also get two M.2 slots for installing a high-speed NVMe SSD. In addition to that, you have two PCI-e 4.0 ports for compatibility with the latest graphics cards.
This motherboard also offers built-in WiFi and Bluetooth for connecting your wireless devices and plenty of ports on the rear panel for peripherals. High-quality capacitors and printed circuit boards ensure that this board will outlast the competition. Overall, the Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P is the best durable motherboard you can get for the Ryzen 9 5900X.
Check out the Best for durability: GIGABYTE B550 Vision D-P on Amazon.
Best Performance Motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
- AMD AM4 socket: Ready for 2nd, 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen processors and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen processors
- Comprehensive thermal design: Passive chipset heatsink, M.2 aluminum heatsinks and ROG Water Cooling Zone.
- Robust power delivery: Designed power solution 14+2 TI power stages rated for 90A, ProCool II power connectors, microfine alloy chokes and 10K Japanese-made black metallic capacitors
- High-performance connectivity: On-board Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) with MU-MIMO support, 2.5 Gbps Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C
- DIY Friendly Design: Pre-mounted I/O shield, ASUS SafeSlot, BIOS flashback and premium components for maximum endurance.
If money is not an issue, and you are after the best performance motherboard, there are plenty of choices. However, you can easily pick the wrong motherboard if you’re not sure what you are looking at. We’ve scoured the internet to find out which board offers the best possible performance and all the extra features to build a truly superb PC. The ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero is the best performance motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X.
The Crosshair VIII Dark Hero is part of a long line of high-performance motherboards from Asus, so it is no doubt that they are back again with another impressive board. The first thing you’ll notice with this motherboard is the dark, subdued color scheme that comes to life with customizable RGB lighting when you plug it in.
If you are building a monster gaming PC, you’ll be pleased to know this motherboard supports the latest GPUs with three PCI-e 4.0 slots. You also get dual M.2 slots for NVMe SSDs and eight SATA ports for installing even more storage. With four RAM slots, you can install up to 128GB of DDR4.
On the rear panel, you have an amazing selection of ports for plugging in keyboards, monitors, and other peripherals. With 11 USB ports, you have no shortage of connectivity options. You also get dual ethernet ports for a 2.5G LAN connection and built-in WiFi 6 for wireless connectivity.
Overall, the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero is the best performance motherboard for the Ryzen 9 5900X. With many features, customizable lighting, and durable design, this motherboard will make a great foundation for building a powerful gaming PC.
Check out the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero on Amazon.
How To Pick The Best Motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X: Step by Step
The Ryzen 9 5900X from AMD is one of the most powerful processors on the market. You don’t want to make a mistake and pick the wrong motherboard, so we’ve put together a few handy tips you should remember when selecting your perfect motherboard.
Overall, there are four key areas you should look out for when shopping around for a motherboard for Ryzen 9 5900X:
Let’s go over each one in more detail.
The most essential ingredient in selecting the right motherboard is finding one that is compatible. In the case of the Ryzen 9 5900X, this means finding a motherboard with an AM4 socket type. You’ll also want to look out for motherboards featuring Zen 3 support.
If you can find a motherboard that meets these requirements, you’ll enjoy a fully compatible system. However, if you pick a motherboard with the wrong socket type, you’ll waste time figuring out why your computer isn’t working. Luckily, all the motherboards on our list are hand-selected for 100% compatibility.
You don’t want to be limited by the upgrade potential of your motherboard, especially if you have a processor like the Ryzen 9 5900X. Some things to look out for include the latest USB and HDMI standards and sufficient RAM slots and SATA ports. Enough RAM slots will enable you to upgrade your memory when you want to. A few extra SATA ports will let you add more storage space as you see fit.
Finding a durable motherboard is a matter of selecting one from a reliable brand. High-quality capacitors and thick printed circuit boards will keep your motherboard working long-term. While some companies will use cheaper capacitors and thinner printed circuit boards, all of the companies on our list are known for using the best components.
Price is another factor to keep in mind, especially if you are on a budget. With the price of motherboards, you can easily spend more than your budget allows. It is important to figure out how much you need and what features you can live without.
Generally speaking, $100 to $500 is how much you can expect to pay for a motherboard for the Ryzen 9 5900X. If you can find a motherboard with all of the features you need and within your budget, the rest of your PC build will go smoothly.
What To Know Before Buying a Motherboard for Ryzen 7 5800X
Before you buy a motherboard for your Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, there are a few things to keep in mind. The first thing is to make sure that you find a compatible motherboard. This means you should look for a motherboard that supports Zen 3 and AM4.
Upgradeability and expansion should be on your mind when looking at motherboards. As long as you have four RAM slots and a few extra SATA ports, you’ll be able to upgrade to as much storage and memory as you need. If you want even better performance, you should look for a motherboard with at least one M.2 slot. This slot allows you to connect an ultra-fast NVMe drive, which will give you faster speeds than a standard SSD.
As long as you source your motherboard from a reliable manufacturer like MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, or ASRock, you won’t need to worry about build quality.
Last update on 2022-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API