These days, almost everyone takes their phone with them everywhere they go. It’s risky to fiddle with a phone, even if you’re just trying to charge it when you’re operating a vehicle. But what if you could install a car mount that helps you use your phone for calls, navigation, streaming music, and charging your phone all at the same time? A MagSafe car mount makes your phone easily accessible.
The charger functions can also keep your phone ready in case of emergencies. Let’s talk about the best Magsafe car chargers. But before we get into that, it’s important to know that MagSafe car mounts are available for iPhone model phones only right now (models 12 and up). So, if you have an Android phone, you’ll need an adapter before using one of these MagSafe car chargers.
Based on our expertise, the best MagSafe car charger options in 2022 are:
- Best Overall: Otterbox Wireless Charger Car Mount
- Best Budget Option: OTAO Magnetic Wireless Car Charger
- Best Extra-Sturdy Choice: Anker Car Mount Magnetic Charger
- Best Low Profile: Belkin Magnetic Wireless Car Charger
- Most Durable: Mous MagSafe Compatible Charging Suction Mount
- Fastest Charging: iOttie’s Velox Wireless Charger
Best Overall: Otterbox Wireless Charger Car Mount
- Strong magnetic alignment and attachment; one-of-a-kind glow-in-the-dark ring illuminates mount in low light settings.
- 15W Qi wireless charger delivers optimal 7.5W charging speeds; mount is powered by fast charging 20W Car Charger and 2M (6.6ft) USB-C to USB-C Cable (included).
- Secure attachment to vertical and horizontal vents; adjusts easily for optimal viewing and access.
- Designed for seamless interaction with MagSafe technology; holds phone securely in landscape and portrait positions.
- Includes OtterBox's Limited Lifetime warranty, see website for details.
The charger itself offers 7.5W of wireless charging and the mount is powered by a fast-charging 20W Car Charger. The best part is that it won’t overheat your smartphone because it operates cooler than other chargers.
The charger comes with a glow-in-the-dark and white-lighted ring, so it’s easy to find and connect to at night. And while it’s safe for the newest iPhone models, it can also charge all the way back to an iPhone 12. So, it’s a great overall option for people who need faster charging, to keep their phone cool, and who travel both day and night.
The charger can work with any OtterBox phone case that supports MagSafe. It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty. But the 6.6ft USB-C to USB-C cable (which comes included) can be too long for most cars. This can be frustrating if you don’t like tangled cords or if you drive a smaller car.
Check out Otterbox Wireless Charger Car Mount on Amazon.
Best Budget Option: OTAO Magnetic Wireless Car Charger
- 【Car Charger for iPhone 15/14/13/12 Pro Max】Updated Version! OTAO magsafe car charger is only compatible with iPhone 15/14/13/12 Pro Max/Plus/Mini and compatible with Magsafe case. Note : Not...
- 【Powerful Magnetic Car Mount &Wireless Fast Charging】Built-in powerful magnet ring which will suction up apple cell phone 15/14/13/12 series firmly without sliding even through the bumps and rapid...
- 【Stable One-hand Operation&360° Adjustable】 Our magsafe car mount charger is matched with a air vent clip using a perfect-quality ball joint , it can flexibly install on the car air vent ,...
- 【The Tips of Dashboard Magsafe Phone Stand】Attention please! If it's a hot day in your area, we recommend that you don't stick the suction cup holder to the windshield. This can prevent the glue...
- 【What is in Packing Box】1×OTAO Magnetic Wireless Car Charger;1×Air Vent Clip;1×Type-C Charing Cable+USB; 1×Suction Cup Holder ; 1×Instruction. Note: OTAO provides perfect after-sales service...
For budget-conscious users, OTAO Magnetic Wireless Car Charger offers a vent mount and a dash mount for a lower price than the other options on this list. It also includes a QC3.0 car charger adapter and a USB-C to USB-A charging cable. But you may need a different charging cable depending on your model.
It’s compatible with iPhone 12 models all the way up to the current iPhone 14 Pro model. All you need to do to get your phone to charge is to place it on the mount and it will automatically lock and align. This mount also has 360° adjustability.
So, it’s suitable for most car types and you can use your phone in portrait or landscape mode. Even though this is a budget MagSafe charger, it comes with an 18-month guarantee. You can get a replacement or a full refund if it breaks in that time period.
Based on hands-on use, it does tend to overheat faster than the other options on this list. So, if you tend to drive around all day, you’ll want to take your phone off the charger every few hours. It can also be fairly bulky if used with the vent mount.
Check out OTAO Magnetic Wireless Car Charger on Amazon.
Best Extra-Sturdy Choice: Anker Car Mount Magnetic Charger
- Ultra-strong magnets with precise alignment for iPhone 13, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max,13 Mini, 12
- Convenient, single-handed mount
- 5 ft USB-C to USB-A Cable
- Widely rotatable mount for a personalized viewing experience.
The Anker Car Mount Magnetic Charger has a spring-locking clip and two “feet” that attach to your car’s dashboard and hold the bottom of the device, making this charger one of the most durable solutions out there. It also has an ambient glow that stays on, so it’s easy to connect your phone!
However, due to the mount, this charger is available only as a dashboard mount. One of the biggest cons of this charger is that it is currently only compatible with iPhone 12 and 13 models.
But it does include a 5-foot self-adhesive USB-C to USB-A charging cable and the mount can be rotated for a personalized viewing experience. It also has a “24-month worry-free warranty,” so you can get a replacement if yours dies within that timeframe.
Check out Anker Car Mount Magnetic Charger on Amazon.
Best Low Profile: Belkin Magnetic Wireless Car Charger
- Compatible with iPhone 12-14 and certified MagSafe Cases
- Includes 20W USB-C power delivery 3.0 car power supply,
- Up to 10W fast charging
- Powerful magnet keeps devices secure while driving
- Charge in any orientation
Looking for a charger that isn’t easily detected? The Belkin Magnetic Wireless Car Charger offers an inconspicuous design that is almost undetectable when you put your phone on it.
And, since it clips right into your car vents, it’s low-profile keeps the front of your car looking clean and uncluttered. This charger includes both a 12-volt connector and a thin 20-watt USB-C cable.
It can be adjusted a full 360 degrees, making it easy to use your phone in both portrait and landscape viewing modes. But while it says it provides 10 watts of charging power, hands-on testing has showcased that this charger is one of the slowest on this list. So, if you want faster charging, you’ll want to choose another option.
Check out Belkin Magnetic Wireless Car Charger on Amazon.
Most Durable: Mous MagSafe Compatible Charging Suction Mount
- ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH MagSafe enabled iPhones: Compatible with iPhone 14/13/12 Series Phones. Designed for use with Mous MagSafe compatible cases, Infinity, Clarity 2.0, Limitless 4.0 and Limitless 5.0
- SECURE SUCTION CONNECTION - Enjoy a whole world of possibilities - mount your phone in almost any location. Our bespoke suction cup creates an incredibly powerful vacuum which can support the weight of the mount and your phone on whatever smooth surface you want
- HIGH-SPEED CHARGING - You can have peace of mind that you’ll get the boost you need while you get things done. We've used a copper charging coil that facilitates extremely strong charging to ensure impressively short charging times
- VIEW HOWEVER SUITS YOU - You can position this mount head and your phone into your perfect viewing angle to look at your phone however suits you. The mount head is on an easily adjustable and very secure mount and you can attach your phone in either portrait or landscape
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY – Mous MagSafe Compatible Charging Suction Mount comes with a 2 Year Warranty
Users who tend to drive on rough terrain, or just want a durable car mount that won’t break or fall down, will want to get the Mous MagSafe Compatible Charging Suction Mount.
While the mount’s reach is a bit limited (due to the lack of an arm or adjuster), your phone will stay firmly fastened. This means fewer chances of disconnection. The mount also includes a USB-A to USB-C adapter head if you need it.
While this mount works for iPhone models 12-14 (including Minis and Pros), it does charge phones fairly slowly. Since it’s one of the more expensive options on this list, we’d expect faster charging and longer cords.
Check out Mous MagSafe Compatible Charging Suction Mount on Amazon.
Fastest Charging: iOttie’s Velox Wireless Charger
- DESIGNED ONLY for MagSafe compatible phone cases, and MagSafe series iPhones, including the iPhone12 series, iPhone 13 series, and iPhone 14 series.
- SLEEK PROFILE: Streamlined design featuring a friction ring and snap lock eliminates bulky knobs for a sleek profile that complements any car interior.
- POWERFUL MAGNETIC HOLD: Your MagSafe compatible iPhones and cases will be held securely in place even on rough roads.
- WIRELESS CHARGING: Velox wirelessly delivers up to 7.5W of power to your iPhone. 12V USB-C charger included.
- ULTIMATE STABILITY IN ANY POSITION: Newly redesigned telescopic arm and rotating ball joint offer full stability in multiple viewing positions.
The iOttie’s Velox Wireless Charger is built well and the outstanding quality can last a long time. And while we’re going to discuss the dash and windshield mount specifically, iOttie also offers a vent mount for $10 less if you’d prefer that option.
Both choices are compatible with iPhones starting with model 12 all the way up to model 14. This is the quickest charger on our list and is also considered one of the fastest MagSafe chargers on the market currently.
Based on our experience, you can have a fully charged phone in less than 20 minutes. The main drawback is that the magnetic feature doesn’t work as well if you have a case on your phone (which we always recommend), so heavier Pro phone versions may fall.
Check out iOttie’s Velox Wireless Charger on Amazon.
How To Pick The Best MagSafe Car Charger: Step by Step
When you’re ready to choose a MagSafe car charger, it’s important to keep these four elements in mind:
- Charging capabilities,
- Mounting location,
Let’s look at each one in more detail.
Before purchasing your MagSafe car charger and mount, the first—and possibly most crucial—aspect to focus on is how it charges, and how fast. Do you need to attach your phone to a cable? Will the mount work with your version of the iPhone?
Does it charge fast or slow, and does that matter to you? Mounts with charging capabilities can cost substantially more than regular mounts, but they are convenient and work well for people who spend a lot of time in their vehicles.
MagSafe chargers offer wireless charging up to 15W, so they tend to be fast, but some offer only around 7.5W charging. If fast charging is important to you, be sure to choose a mount that offers 10W-15W charging.
Car mounts usually come in three main options: vent, dash, and window. Many of the car mounts on our list offer more than one option and tend to have built-in vent mounts as well as dash suction choices.
Of course, what you choose will depend on what you’re looking for specifically. If you want a mount that’s easy to maneuver, a dash or window mount will be the best choice. If you want a simple, affordable, and harder-to-detect solution, a vent mount is perfect for your needs.
MagSafe car mounts come available in many different sizes, perfect for a variety of iPhones. For Minis, a smaller option may be the best choice (and is usually the least distracting). But iPhone Pros may require a larger charger to avoid movement and falling.
These mounts tend to have better magnets to hold heavier phones and those with cases on them. Larger chargers can also help you freely pivot the angle of your screen. They offer both landscape and portrait viewing, which may be important to you.
When purchasing a MagSafe car mount, as with the majority of other tech or smartphone accessories, you typically get what you pay for. But, there are some budget options out there that can work just as well as their more expensive counterparts.
It’s crucial to read reviews of any car charger you choose, especially those that are on the more affordable side. It’s better to invest in one than to have to repurchase “cheaper” options every few months.
What To Know Before Buying Magsafe Car Chargers
Before you buy a MagSafe car charger, there are three key aspects to keep in mind. First, you’ll need to have at least an iPhone 12, since that is when Apple introduced its MagSafe technology. Anything older than that, and none of the chargers above will work with your phone.
Second, MagSafe chargers can charge with upwards of 15W of power, which considerably shortens the charging period. In testing, most MagSafe wireless chargers can charge a device in less than 30 minutes. So, if yours doesn’t do that, it may not be the best of the MagSafe charger options.
Lastly, Apple has stated that their software will automatically cap charging at 80% if your iPhone becomes too warm while being charged via MagSafe. And many MagSafe chargers have reviews stating that they make the user’s phone run hot.
So, if your iPhone isn’t charging fully when using the MagSafe, this could be the reason. According to Apple, this will increase battery life, but it can be frustrating if you like a full charge.
Using MagSafe Car Chargers: What It’s Like
While many newer cars come with wireless charging, many people still need a car charger for travel, or if they spend most of the day in their vehicle. That’s where MagSafe car chargers (for iPhones) come in. They can offer you an easy way to charge your phone while keeping it, and you, safe.
Many car mounts also offer landscape and portrait viewing modes. This makes it easy to adjust your phone if you want to make a call, ask for directions, or even listen to music while your phone is charging.
And the best part about MagSafe car chargers is that they keep your hands off your phone, which is illegal in most states. Instead, they provide an area to store your phone while making it easy to view and keep it charged.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Ivan_Shenets/Shutterstock.com.