Today, the Macbook Air can without a doubt be called an icon in the field of portable laptops, and for a good reason – it’s thin, light, fast, and has decent battery life. However, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t other really good options out there if you’re looking to buy one of these devices! In fact, if you decide to go with another brand or model besides the Macbook Air itself, you could get more bang for your buck while still having a great overall experience.
These laptops all provide nearly the same computing experience as Apple’s machine. Plus they also have high-resolution screens and comfortable keyboards that can easily be used as your main computing device for work or personal use. If you’re looking to save some money on your next purchase or just want to get more value out of your purchase, you might be better off with one of the best Macbook Air alternatives.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the closest competitors to the MacBook Air. Some of them are significantly less expensive, and some of them are even better quality. So, without further ado, here are the 5 best MacBook Air alternatives.
- Best overall: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Nano Gen 1
- Best budget option: ASUS Zenbook 13 UX325 OLED i7
- Best premium option: Dell XPS 13
- Best Alternative with More Ports: Razer Book 13
- Best for performance: HP Spectre x360 13.5inch 14T
Best Overall MacBook Air Alternative: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Nano Gen 1
- Intel Core i7 2.10 GHz processor provides lightning fast speed and peak performance for the toughest of tasks and games
- With 16 GB LPDDR4X of memory, runs as many programs as you want without losing the execution
- The 13" 2160 x 1350 screen provides a great movie watching experience
If you’re looking for a laptop that’s just as light and portable as the MacBook Air but has better performance and a lower price tag, the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Nano Gen 1 is the best alternative. It weighs only 1.99 pounds and is just 0.59 inches thick, making it one of the thinnest and lightest laptops on the market. It has a great keyboard and trackpad, long battery life, and powerful hardware.
Lenovo’s display resolution is a one-of-a-kind 2,160 by 1,350 pixels, which falls somewhere between the XPS 13’s standard 1,920-by-1,200-pixel and optional 3,840-by-2,400-pixel panels. When it comes to the inside design, it is made of high-quality materials to ensure that it performs well. On the exterior, you can expect good quality because it is made with a stylish and stealthy design, but expect a smaller touchpad due to its screen size.
- The display is bright and crisp enough to be used outdoors in bright sunlight, but it still looks good indoors as well
- Great battery life
- Powerful processor
- Highly configurable
- Limited ports
- Small touchpad
- Depending on the configuration, it can be significantly more expensive than the MacBook Air.
|Processor||1th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-1180G7|
|GPU||Intel Iris Xe (integrated)|
|Memory||Up to 16GB|
|Storage||Up to 1TB SSD|
|Display||13″ 2K 2160×1350, 100% sRGB, 450 nits brightness; available in touch or non-touchscreen|
|Battery||48Wh, Rapid Charge, rated up to 13 hours|
|Weight||Starts at 1.99lbs|
Check out Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Nano Gen 1 on Amazon.
Best Budget Macbook Air alternative: ASUS Zenbook 13 UX325 OLED i7
- Aspect Ratio:16:9
- Intel Evo Platform - The perfect combination of performance, responsiveness and battery life. Enjoy amazing performance with the 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor. Experience vivid colors with Intel Iris Xe graphics. Stay productive with a fast-charging, long-lasting battery.
- 13.3 inch OLED 400nits Full HD (1920 x 1080) Wide View 4-way NanoEdge bezel display
- atest 11th generation Latest 11th generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Quad Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.70 GHz, with IPU)
- Windows 11 Pro
If you believe that a high-end laptop does not have to be expensive, the ASUS Zenbook 13 UX325 OLED i7 is for you. In fact, the Asus ZenBook 13 provides similar performance as the MacBook Air at a much lower price.
It’s got a 13.3-inch screen with a 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution, which is more than enough to get the job done. This model also comes with an Intel Core i7 processor and 8 GB RAM for your computing needs, so you won’t have any trouble getting work done.
The battery life is also great—you can expect about 10 hours before you need to plug it in again! The build quality feels solid and sturdy, so there’s no worry about it being damaged or falling apart over time.
All of this adds up to an experience that is very similar to the MacBook Air, which makes the Asus Zenbook a perfect alternative.
- Fantastic display quality
- Great performance for this type of device at this price point
- Affordable price tag
- Superb battery life
- No headphone jack
- The keyboard may not be to everyone’s taste
|Processor||Intel Core i3-1115G4/i5-1135G7/i7-1165G7|
|GPU||Intel UHD/Intel Iris XE Graphics|
|Memory||Up to 32GB|
|Storage||Up to 1TB SSD|
|Display||13.3 Inch FHD OLED|
Check out ASUS Zenbook 13 UX325 OLED i7 on Amazon.
Best Premium Macbook Air alternative: Dell XPS 13
- GUARANTEED POWER: With 11th Gen InteI Core mobile processors, it’s now possible to enjoy incredibly immersive entertainment on a remarkably thin and light touchscreen laptop
- KILLER WIRELESS: With Wi-Fi 6 techology, the Killer AX1650 prioritizes streaming video, communication, and game traffic in your system for fast, smooth online experiences
- STUNNING IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT: Dolby Vision content can deliver highlights that are up to 40 times brighter, and blacks that are up to 10 times darker
- START IN AN INSTANT: A built in lid sensor with a new press fit hinge allows you to open the lid with one hand and power up in milliseconds, no matter what power-state you are in
- DELL WARRANTY SUPPORT: Including 2 Year On-Site/In-Home and 6 months Dell Migrate. Easily move your files and settings from your old PC to your new Dell
It may seem like an obvious choice, but the Dell XPS 13 is the best premium option for a Macbook Air alternative. It comes in at $1,299 and has all the bells and whistles you’d expect from a premium laptop—and more!
The XPS 13 has an edge-to-edge display, which means there are no borders on either side of the screen. This makes it feel like you’re looking at a single sheet of glass without any bezel around it. It also has a backlit keyboard that lets you use your computer in low-light environments without worrying about how bright your keys are. Plus if you want to connect it to your TV or other devices using HDMI ports, this computer does that too!
The XPS 13 is built with an Intel Core i7 processor with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage space, which will allow you to run multiple programs at once without any issues. You’ll also have plenty of ports available. It also has a lightweight design, making it easy to carry around all day without feeling heavy or bulky. The battery life is also impressive—this laptop can last up to 10 hours of continuous use before needing a recharge.
- Premium build quality
- Solid battery life
- Powerful internals in a beautiful chassis
- Great performance
- Limited port selection
- It’s expensive
|Processor||Intel Core i7 1185G7|
|GPU||Intel Iris XE Graphics|
|Memory||Up to 32GB|
|Storage||Up to 1TB SSD|
|Weight||Starting at 2.64 lbs|
|Display||3.4-inch FHD+ 1920×200 at 60Hz|
Check out Dell XPS 13 on Amazon.
Best Macbook Air Alternative with More Ports: Razer Book 13
- Slim, Sleek, Ready to Go: Razer Book 13’s ultra-compact, 13.4” touch display 4-sided with thin bezels and lightweight, CNC aluminum, unibody design make it the perfect mobility companion to conquer the day's undertakings
- Best-In-Class 11th Gen Intel Core Mobile: Includes immersive graphics for deeper engagement, the power to revolutionize workflows at faster speeds, and intuitive AI to empower more authentic collaboration no matter where you conference in
- Vapor Chamber Cooling System: A properly cooled system keeps your performance high and 10+ hours of battery life keeps you productive all day long with Intel Evo Certification that provides Instant Wake and Instant Resume
- Plug Into Productivity, No Dongle Necessary: Connect at lightning speeds with 2x Thunderbolt 4, MicroSD Slot, and full-size HDMI 2.0
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics for Crisp, HD Quality: Well-suited for the sleek profile of the Razer Book 13, it powers pixel-perfect productivity, as if having a dedicated graphics card to not only catch the eye but captivate it
Razer’s gaming laptops and accessories are well-known in the industry. It’s a nice brand, but if you’re not a gamer, it’s difficult to imagine that this brand has a laptop for you. Fortunately, there is, and it is known as the Razer Book 13. Razer’s only non-gaming laptop is the Razer Book 13. In terms of design, performance, and features, it has a sleek and tiny machine that ranks among the best ultraportables.
With a 13-inch display and a thin, lightweight design, this laptop is perfect for anyone who wants a portable computer that can fit in their backpack or bag without weighing them down. It has more ports than your average laptop—two Thunderbolt 4 ports, one USB-C port, and a headphone jack. Plus, it comes with 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD. It’s also one of the lightest laptops on the market, weighing just 3.09 pounds.
It’s not as sleek as the Air, but it has more ports and a better trackpad. Also, it’s packed with all the latest features you’d expect in a laptop today—including Thunderbolt 3, which offers speeds of up to 40Gbps and can transfer data at speeds of up to 5GB per second. It also has an impressive battery life, with up to 12 hours of battery life on one charge.
- Blazing fast performance and long battery life (up to 12 hours)
- Smooth design that’s compact enough for everyday use but still has enough room for your cords and cables
- Full-sized HDMI and USB-A ports, microSD slot
- The keyboard is comfortable, and the trackpad is precise enough for editing photos or writing articles
- It costs more than some MacBook Air models
- Base and midrange models only have 256GB of storage
|Processor||Intel Core i5-1135G7/Intel Core i7-1165G7|
|GPU||Intel Iris Xe Graphics|
|Display||13.4-inch Full HD|
Check out Razer Book 13 on Amazon.
Best Performance MacBook Air Alternative: HP Spectre x360 13.5inch 14T
- BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED - You will receive a HP Factory sealed Brand New laptop with 1 YEAR HP (MANUFACTURER) PREMIUM WARRANTY. You can buy with confidence that the advertised specs are Factory Installed.
- WITH EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE, BATTERY EFFICIENCY & A NEW AND STUNNING DESIGN, THE HP SPECTRE 14T OUTCLASSES THEM ALL: 11TH GENERATION QUAD CORE CPU: Intel Core i7-1195G7 (up to 5.0 GHz, 12 MB L3 cache, 4 cores) + Intel Iris Xe Graphics. WINDOWS 11 PRO 64 BIT PRE INSTALLED BY HP. Intel's XE Graphics is the best Intel GPU yet & coupled w/ 16GB Memory & a blazing 512GB Intel SSD+32 GB Intel Optane Memory, you really cant pass this up. It delivers prime performance w/ better power management than ever before.
- ASTOUNDING VIDEO AND IMAGE QUALITY WITH A 13.5" WUXGA TOUCHSCREEN AND A 3:2 ASPECT RATIO FOR OPTIMUM PRODUCTIVITY: The HP Spectre 14T x360 delivers stunning visuals & unparalleled quality due to its 1920x1280 display which even trumps FHD performance. Its 3:2 Aspect ratio allows user to do more due to its 90.33% screen to body ratio. The HP Zenvo Tilt pen with a magnetic attachment is HPs best pen yet and delivers "pen point accuracy" w/ smoother color transitions and enhanced response times.
- PREMIUM AESTHETICS & SECURITY: Make a statement whenever you work with your HP Spectre14T luxury touchscreen laptop. Adaptive color automatically adjusts hues, light, and ultra-vivid colors for the best viewing experience for your environment. Smart Sense adjusts to your work habits for optimal performance and includes in-bag detection so it even knows when to take a break. Breaking edge security and privacy features include the unhackable physical camera shutter and a fingerprint reader.
- Bang & Olufsen speakers: The partnership between Bang & Olufsen and HP brings premium sound to your personal computing device. With HP Quad Speakers, HP Audio Boost, and custom tuning by the experts at Bang & Olufsen, entertainment comes to life with sound you can feel. Awaken your senses with PC audio perfection. Ports: 2 x Thunderbolt 4 x with USB4 Type-C 40Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort 1.4, HDMI 2.0, HP Sleep and Charge).1 x headphone/microphone combo.
If performance is your main concern, there is no better place to look than the HP Spectre x360. The laptop features a 13.5-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1,920 x 1,280 pixels and is powered by an Intel Core i7 8th Gen processor, which can be overclocked to 3.8 GHz using Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0. It also comes with 16GB RAM that allows you to run multiple applications simultaneously without lags or stutters while playing games or watching videos on Netflix without buffering issues! The 1TB hard drive stores plenty of data, so you won’t need external storage devices like flash drives or external hard drives for saving files from your computer onto them. The keyboard is backlit so that you can use this laptop at night too!
The built-in webcam supports HD video calls and facial recognition for secure logins to your social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat. The laptop also has multiple USB ports connecting external devices such as flash drives or keyboards, thus increasing productivity levels even further!
HP’s stylized four-slash emblem adorns the lid, which unfortunately requires two hands to open. The display can be folded back into the familiar easel, tent, and tablet configurations, thanks to two hinges. The screen rarely wobbles in laptop form, and there’s almost no flex in the chassis if you hold its edges or press the keyboard deck.
- It uses 12th-gen Intel CPUs
- Sleek and lightweight
- Excellent 13.5″ display that offers bright colors and good contrast
- 2-in-1 convertible to tablet works with a stylus
- CPU just as powerful as the previous-gen M1
- The touchpad is a bit stiff
|Processor||Intel Core i5-1235U/i7-1255U|
|GPU||Intel Iris Xe Graphics|
|Storage||512GB, 1TB, 2TB SSD|
|Memory||Up to 32GB|
|Display||13.5 Inch OLED|
Check out HP Spectre x360 13.5inch 14T on Amazon.
How to Pick the Best MacBook Air Alternative: Step by Step
Apple’s MacBook Air is light, portable, and has excellent battery life — but it’s not the only laptop out there that offers those things. In fact, you can often find a PC with higher specs for less money. If you prefer Windows, or you just don’t want to pay the Apple premium price, finding an alternative is a viable option.
When choosing the best MacBook air alternative, it is important to consider all your needs and preferences. There are many factors that you need to consider before you can decide on which laptop is right for you. Here are things to consider when picking the best MacBook air alternative:
- Battery life
Let’s explore each one in more detail.
The performance of a computer is one of the most important factors you need to consider. The more powerful your processor, the better your overall experience will be. It is critical to remember that the latest MacBook Airs are optimized with the latest M2 chips. Because these chips are only available from Apple, it may not be easy to find an exact match.
Although the same CPU cannot be found in any other PC brand, you can come very close. The Intel Core i7 series processors are an excellent replacement for the M2 chip. Furthermore, AMD’s Ryzen series provides strong competition to the MacBook’s processor.
RAM and storage are also important performance factors. 8GB to 16GB of RAM should be sufficient for a moderately demanding user, erring on the high side if heavy multitasking is expected. Storage is determined by your specific requirements. A minimum of 250GB of storage space will provide plenty of space for projects, games, and applications.
The battery life of a laptop is one of the most important aspects to consider when picking a new device. The MacBook Air has a good battery life and can last all day, but some great alternatives offer even better performance. The ThinkPad X1 Nano, for example, has a battery life of approximately 13 hours on a single charge. The HP Spectre x360 13 is proudly advertised as having a battery life of up to 22 hours, but real-world testing reduces that to 13 or 14 hours.
The cost of the device depends on the features it has and its performance. The base M1 model of the MacBook Air costs $999, and the base M2 model costs $1,199. Since we’ve listed models that are as similar to the Air as possible, the majority of the laptops on this list are in the same price range. In some configurations, you might be able to find an Air alternative for a few hundred dollars. For instance, the Asus ZenBook Flip 13 OLED is slightly more reasonably priced than the M1 Air’s base model. If you’re shopping around for a replacement for your aging MacBook Air in 2022, one factor to consider is how much you’re willing to spend.
The 13.6-inch display on the MacBook Air M2 is an IPS liquid retina that does not support touch input. With this screen, you can enjoy a resolution of 2560×1664, pixel density of 224 PPI, 500 nits of brightness, wide color support, and Apple’s True Tone technology (P3). The Air’s display is gorgeous, no doubt about it, but would you rather have something else?
Some alternatives have touchscreens, OLED displays, and higher resolutions and pixels per inch (PPI). If you’re picky about screens, you might want to look at the screens of each laptop first.
What to Know Before Buying a MacBook Air Alternative
There are a lot of reasons to love the MacBook Air. It’s reliable, versatile, and powerful enough to handle any task you throw at it. But if you’re looking for something more affordable and still feels like a Mac—but doesn’t require the same kind of investment—make sure the device you’re considering is compatible with your needs and budget. There are many different models of laptops on the market, so it’s easy to get lost in all the choices.
The next step is to think about what kind of experience and functionality you want from your laptop. Will it be used primarily as a work tool? Or do you want something that can play games, watch movies, and surf the web?
Then there’s the question of memory. Think about how much RAM (memory) is needed for the programs that will run on your new computer. These days, most laptops come with 8GB or more RAM, so if there’s anything else that needs doing besides word processing or crunching numbers, this should also be considered when purchasing an alternative laptop!
Using a MacBook Air Alternative: What it’s Like
The MacBook Air has long been one of the premier ultraportable laptops on the market, offering a thin and light design with solid performance, but it’s not the only option out there. There are other high-performing laptop brands to consider, many of which have innovative designs or top-notch performance, and they might be better suited to your needs. Models like the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition or HP Spectre x360 13 (2nd Gen) come with an Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and 1TB of storage space. These laptops also have an excellent battery life as well as fast performance. The keyboard is comfortable for long typing sessions, and the display is gorgeous for watching videos or playing games.
Last update on 2022-10-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API