- The internal storage in PS5 consoles allows you to enjoy the pre-installed games comfortably.
- Using external hard drives allows you to enjoy more games without freezing the storage capacity in the console and interfering with the video quality.
- Besides the high speeds, the WD My Passport SSD exemplifies versatility. The hard drive is compatible with all USB-operated PS5 systems, including the complex and rare USB-C.
Looking for the best PS5 external hard drive? The introduction of the best hard drives for PS5 in the market was the best thing to happen to gamers in search of speed and space. These hard drives are sleek, easily portable, almost compatible with all PS5 ports and consoles, live long, and offer value for money. Another appealing feature about these hard drives is that they can support all PS5 games without crashing. However, choosing the right device for your needs isn’t always straightforward. With tons of options and a wide range of prices, how do you know which external hard drive is right for your PS5?
In this article, we’ve reviewed the best external hard drives for PS5 in 2022 and discovered the most useful one for each scenario. Here is our list of the 8 best external hard drives you can buy today.
- Best PS5 external hard drive overall: WD My Passport 4TB Portable Hard Drive
- Most durable PS5 external hard drive: Samsung T7 Shield
- Best External Drive SSD: WD Black P50 Game Drive
- Best external HDD: Seagate Expansion 6TB HDD
- Best affordable SSD: WD Black D30 500GB
- Best accident-proof and hard-wearing: SanDisk Extreme Portable
- Best budget external HDD: Toshiba 1TB Canvio Advance
- Best hard drive for speed: LaCie Rugged SSD Pro
Best PS5 External Hard Drive Overall: WD My Passport 4TB Portable Hard Drive
- Blazing-fast file transfers with speeds up to 515 MB/s
- Password protection with hardware encryption
- USB Type-C and USB 3.1 Gen 2 ready; USB 3.0, USB 2.0 and USB-A compatible
- Trusted Drive built with WD reliability
- Automatic backup
Ready to experience what having an all-around PS5 hard drive feels like? Get the WD My Passport 4TB Portable Hard Drive. This SSD-operated hard drive offers read speeds of up to 390Mbps and write speeds of 300Mbps, making it one of the fastest hard drives in the market.
Besides the high speeds, the WD My Passport SSD exemplifies versatility. The hard drive is compatible with all USB-operated PS5 systems, including the complex and rare USB-C. It also features a hardware encryption security double feature and password protection to keep all your PS5 data safe. Additionally, the WD My Passport SSD has an automatic backup system to protect all your stored data.
- Fast write/read speeds.
- Versatile in different capacities.
- Highly durable.
- Easy to use.
- Has a short cable.
Check out WD My Passport 4TB Portable Hard Drive on Amazon.
Most Durable PS5 External Hard Drive: Samsung T7 Shield
- RUGGED DURABILITY: Tough, fast, and compact, the all new rugged PSSD T7 Shield is built to endure with the space to create thanks to an IP65 rating for Dust and Water resistance
- KEEP COOL AT HIGH SPEED: Transfer massive files in seconds; USB 3.2 Gen 2 and PCIe NVMe achieve soaring sequential read/write speeds of up to 1,050/1,000 MB/s, allowing you to edit directly from the...
- MIGHTY TOUGH: Ready for the rough and tumble; Shoot on location and wander the wild while feeling confident your data is securely resistant against water and dust with an IP65 rating; The rugged...
- COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR DEVICES: The T7 Shield is compatible with PC, Mac, Android devices, gaming consoles, and more; Included in the box are USB Type C-to-C and Type C-to-A cables for added...
- DURABLE YET STYLISH: Take your pick;1 TB or 2 TB gives you colossal space in sleek colorways of blue, beige, or black; The stylish rubberized grip prevents slips so it stays in your hands; Bring...
Samsung is a brand known for making durable and high-performing gaming laptops and equipment, and the Samsung T7 Shield hard drive is no exception. This hard drive offers speeds of 1050mbps in read and 1000mbps in write, making it easy to transfer data between PS5 consoles.
The T7 hard drive also comes in different storage capacities, and you can choose the 1TB or 2TB option, depending on your budget and storage needs. It has a rough and rugged outer case, making it hardy. The external case, which acts as a shield, protects the hard drive’s external and internal components from extreme pressure, impact, and temperatures. Tests on the hard drive have shown that the shield can protect the hard drive from 4 meters fall.
- Fast read and write speeds.
- Rugged design to protect the hard drive.
- The cable is short.
Check out Samsung T7 Shield on Amazon.
Best PS5 External SDD: WD Black P50 Game Drive
- Shaped By Performance With Ssd Speeds Up To 2000Mb/S To Decrease Load Screen Times And Get You Into The Game Faster. | Based On Read Speed. 1 Mb/S = 1 Million Bytes Per Second. Based On Internal...
- Up To 4Tb Of Additional Storage For You To Keep Your Favorite Games And Save New Games
- Shock-Resistant And Portable Form Factor That Provides Fast Access To Your Gaming Library, Anywhere You Go. | 1Gb = 1 Billion Bytes And 1Tb = 1 Trillion Bytes. Actual User Capacity May Be Less...
- High-Performance Ssd With Superspeed Usb 20Gb/S Interface For Your Pc Or Console
WD Black P50 Game Drive is the best SSD hard drive you can have as a PS5 owner. This sophisticated external SSD is also famous for its crazy-high speeds, giving you a bang for your buck. With read/write consequential speeds of up to 2000Mbps, you are assured that data transfer between the hard drive and PS5 console is super-fast.
One thing that stands out in this hard drive is its cool design which other hard drives lack. The hard drive has a military metal-styled sleek rectangular design with a visual appeal. It also has a touch of old-school aesthetics, including the WD-Black markings, which you can brag about.
The P10 Game Drive can fit almost all PS5 consoles, thanks to its USB-C port that is compatible with USB-C and USB-A ports. The only downside of this hard disk is that it can get warm when used for a long time.
- Irresistible visual appeal.
- High storage capacity.
- High speeds.
- Has a relatively higher price/gigabyte.
Check out WD Black P50 Game Drive on Amazon.
Best External HDD for PS5: Seagate Expansion 6TB HDD
- Easy-to-use desktop hard drive — simply plug in the power adapter and USB cable
- Fast file transfers with USB 3.0
- Drag-and-drop file saving right out of the box
- Automatic recognition of Windows and Mac computers for simple setup (reformatting required for use with Time Machine)
- Enjoy peace of mind with the included limited warranty and Rescue Data Recovery Services
The introduction of the Seagate Expansion 6TB HDD is timely, given the growing need for high storage capacity hard drives. Everything about this HDD drive is a masterpiece of quality. It has a wide variety of storage capacities, from as low as 500GB to as high as 20TB.
The Seagate Expansion 6TB HDD is also highly versatile due to its USB 3.0, which is easily compatible with many PS5 consoles. The drive is also easy to use; you only need to plug it into a power adapter and USB cable and start transferring data. Moreover, the hard drive automatically recognizes Mac and Windows computers, making playing PS5 games on different devices easy. Finally, Seagate offers an exclusive but limited warranty and rescue data recovery for this extraordinary high-storage PS5 external hard drive. The only downside of this hard drive is that it has a relatively low data transfer speed compared to its SSD counterparts.
- Extremely high storage capacity.
- Fair price/gigabyte.
- Versatile in data transfer.
- Low data transfer speeds.
Check out Seagate Expansion 6TB HDD on Amazon.
Best Affordable SSD for PS5: WD Black D30 500GB
- Expanded capacity up to 2TB to store up to 50 games (As used for storage capacity, 1GB = 1 billion bytes and 1TB = 1 trillion bytes. Actual user capacity may be less depending on operating...
- 1-Month membership of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate included with purchase. (1-Month trial offer of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for new Xbox Game Pass members only. Limit: 1 per person/account. Available for a...
- Stylistically designed to sit alongside your Xbox
- Accelerated speeds up to 900MB/s to cut down on long load screens (Based on read speed and internal testing. 1 MB/s = 1 million bytes per second. Performance may vary depending upon host device, usage...
- Compatible with Xbox Series X|S (Play and store Xbox One games; archive Xbox Series X|S games. Xbox Series X|S games archived to drive must be transferred to console before playing. If game was...
The WD Black D30 500GB hard drive is the ultimate choice for PS5 consoles if you are looking for great space on a limited budget. WD D30 might not come close to established SSD counterparts, but it still performs decently at a read and write speed of 900Mbps.
This hard drive is built for durability, given its rough outer shell. It can withstand high impact from falls and extreme pressure. If you accidentally drop things regularly, you should have this hard disk on your bucket list.
The WD D30 hard disk also features a flexible storage capacity. Depending on your budget and storage needs, you can get the standard 500GB or go for the 1TB or 2TB options.
- Fairly affordable.
- Tough design for durability.
- Relatively low speeds for an SSD.
Check out WD Black D30 500GB on Amazon.
Best Accident-proof and Hard-wearing Hard Drive for PS5: SanDisk Extreme Portable
- High-speed transfers with up to 550MB/s read speeds let you move hi-res photos and videos fast (Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending on drive capacity, host device, OS and...
- Ruggedized, water- and dust-resistant (IP55-rated) (IEC 60529 IP55: Tested to withstand water flow (30 kPa) at 3 min.; limited dust contact does not interfere with operation. Must be clean and dry...
- Shock-resistant solid state core for greater durability (Shock-resistant (up to 1500G) and vibration-resistant (5g RMS, 10-2000 HZ), Non-Operating Temperature(from ‐20°C to 70°C), operating...
- Compact and pocket-sized
- For PC and Mac users
The SanDisk Extreme Portable is the best-protected PS5 external hard drive. It has a dust-resistant and rugged design to protect it from the high impacts and pressure it may be subjected to. The rugged design also minimizes the risk of slipping from hands and surfaces. Additionally, this hard drive has a shock-resistant core which would come in handy for you.
Besides the durability features, the SanDisk Extreme Portable hard drive has a huge storage capacity. You can choose hard drives from as low as 240GB to 4TB of SSD space.
SanDisk Extreme Portable also boasts high speeds, with most hard drives scoring more than 500Mbps read and 450Mbps write. Finally, this hard drive is compatible with other devices and operating systems, which is a huge plus if you play PS5 games from different devices.
- Fairly high speeds.
- Sleek design.
- Sturdy and durable.
- Relatively heavy.
Check out SanDisk Extreme Portable on Amazon.
Most Affordable PS5 External HDD: Toshiba 1TB Canvio Advance
- Compact design with stylish, textured finish and color options to fit your lifestyle.
- Automatic backup software to easily back up your content (free download, for Windows PC only).
- Password protection software to help prevent unauthorized access to your data (free download, for Windows PC only).
- USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatible.
If you are looking for a durable, high storage, and high-performance HDD hard drive on a tight budget, get the Toshiba 1TB Canvio Advance. This hard drive has a password and automatic backup feature, which keeps all your PS5 data secure.
You can choose different storage capacities of the Canvio Advance hard disk; the 1TB, 2TB, or 4TB options. Another interesting thing about the storage varieties is that you don’t have to dig deep into your pocket.
Another outstanding feature of Canvio Advance is its sleek design with a wide array of colors. This hard drive is compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, making it ideal for many PS5 consoles.
The final feature that makes the hard drive stand out is that it comes with a sales warranty for a limited duration.
- Fairly priced.
- Comes in a wide variety of colors.
- Has a relatively high speed.
- It is not USB-C compatible.
Check out Toshiba 1TB Canvio Advance on Amazon.
Best PS5 External Hard Drive for Speed and Durability: LaCie Rugged SSD Pro
- Harness top Thunderbolt 3 speeds with the 1TB Seagate FireCuda NV Me SSD for playback/recording of up to 2800MB/s on 6K, 8K, and super so-so video
- Tackle any terrain with extreme IP67-rated water resistance, three-meter drop tolerance, two-ton car crush resistance, and dust resistance in a palm-sized external SSD Drive
- Includes a Thunderbolt 3 cable for easy connectivity with USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 on IPAD, Mac and Windows computers
- Take advantage of a one-month complimentary membership to Adobe creative cloud all apps plan for access to awesome photo and video editing apps
- Enjoy long-term peace of mind with the included five-year limited product protection plan featuring Rescue Data Recovery services
The LaCie Rugged SSD Pro is not the ordinary hard drive made for speed alone; its durability is unparalleled. Tests on this hard drive have shown that it can withstand up to 3 meters of fall impact and two tons of crush impact and is also water-resistant. These features make the hard drive virtually invincible and the right choice for storing PS5 games in extreme conditions.
LaCie Rugged SSD also scores high in terms of speed. With about 2000 Mbps, you are assured of fast data transfer to your PS5 console. Additionally, the hard drive uses the advanced Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C to improve the efficacy of data transfer and make gaming more fun.
The 1TB of SSD space is also high and can support many PS5 games, which is quite a huge advantage. The only downside is that the hard drive is relatively heavy due to the heavy external case, making it hard to fit in a pocket.
- Super-fast data transfer speeds.
- Sturdy design.
- Relatively heavy than other hard drives.
Check out LaCie Rugged SSD Pro on Amazon.
How to Pick the Best PS5 External Hard Drive: Step by Step
Choosing the best hard drive for PS5 is important because that determines the overall value and experience you get. But how do you choose the right hard drive for your PS5, given the many brands on the market today? We have compiled a list of factors to consider when choosing an external hard drive for PS5.
- Hard disk drive (HDD) versus Solid state disk (SSD)
- Specifications and performance
- Size and interface
Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Vs. Solid State Disk (SDD)
External hard drives for PS5 can either run on SSD or HDD. SSD is a modern storage technology that uses flash memory, while HDD uses spinning metal disks. SSD hard drives are more durable, do not make noise since they have no moving parts, and read and write data faster than HDD hard drives. On the other hand, HDD hard drives have more storage capacities and are more affordable.
Specifications and Performance
When looking for the best hard drives for a PS5, it is important to look at the drive specifications and overall performance. You can access these specifications by looking at the storage capacity, failure rate in HDDs, cache space, transfer speed, and access times, such as sequential read and write speeds in SSDs.
Size and Interface
When buying an SSD or HDD for your PS5, you can choose whether to go for a 2.5-inch or 3.5-inch hard drive. HDD hard drives store data in spinning metal disks; thus, they need more disks and sizes to store more data. On the other hand, SSD hard drives do not store data in moving parts; hence they are much smaller.
Different hard drive models are priced differently depending on their features, sizes, and models. The best way to calculate the value of a PS5 external hard drive is by dividing its total price by the total storage capacity to get the price for every gigabyte.
What to Know Before Buying the Best Hard Drives for PS5
There are so many hard drives dedicated to PS5, and this might be overwhelming. However, there are two things to note before you buy the best PS5 external hard drive. First, before buying the best hard drive for PS5, you should find out whether they offer a sales warranty and the terms surrounding the warranty. Second, you should establish whether the hard drive can be upgraded or downgraded.
Using the Best Hard Drives for PS5: What it’s Like
The internal storage in PS5 consoles allows you to enjoy the pre-installed games comfortably. However, using external hard drives allows you to enjoy more games without freezing the storage capacity in the console and interfering with the video quality. External hard drives are fairly priced, last longer, and can withstand extreme conditions.
- History of Electric Vehicles What was the first electric vehicle? Who designed it? Learn the history of electric vehicles in this fascinating article.
- Best 4K Laptops: Reviewed for 2022 If you’re in need of a quality laptop computer with a 4k display, then check out our recommendations.
- Google Chromecast vs Amazon Fire TV Stick: Streaming Devices Compared If you’re not sure whether the Amazon Fire TV Stick or the Google Chromecast will fit your needs best, read on.