Choosing the right gaming mouse might very well make the difference between victory and defeat. Whether you are playing a single-player first-person shooter or a multiplayer match for all the glory, a poor gaming mouse might delay your click or not move fast enough to line up the perfect shot.
When you look at the huge selection of gaming mice available, it will likely come down to what games you want to play and important features like programmable buttons and ergonomics. PC gaming demands precision and fast input so that too is a critical factor when comparing any best gaming mouse on the market.
After weeks of playing and playing again, we’ve compiled this list of the best gaming mice available in 2022:
- Best Overall: Logitech G502
- Best Wired: Razer Basilisk V3
- Best Lightweight: SteelSeries Aerox 3
- Best for MMOs: Razer Naga Trinity
- Best Ambidextrous Design: SteelSeries Sensei Ten
- Best Budget-Friendly: Logitech G203 Lightsync
- Best Dual Mode: Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless
- Best RGB Lighting: ROCCAT Burst Pro
- Best for Portability: Razer Orochi V2
- Best for First-Person Games: SteelSeries Prime
Best Overall Gaming Mouse: Logitech G502
- World’s Selling Wireless Gaming Gear Brand - Based on independent sales data (FEB ‘19 - FEB’20) of Wireless Gaming Keyboard, Mice, and PC Headset in units from: US, CA, CN, JP, KR, TW, TH, IN, DE, FR, RU, UK, SE, TR
- PowerPlay wireless charging: Never worry about your battery life again. Add the power play wireless charging system to keep your G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse and other compatible G mice charged while at rest and at play. Powerplay wireless charging system sold separately
- Light speed wireless gaming mouse: Exclusive Logitech G ultra-fast wireless technology used by Pro gamers in competitions worldwide
- Hero 25K sensor through a software update from G HUB, this upgrade is free to all players: Our most advanced, with 1:1 tracking, 400plus ips, and 100 - 25,600 max dpi sensitivity plus zero smoothing, filtering, or acceleration
- 11 customizable buttons and hyper fast scroll wheel: Assign custom macro and shortcut commands to the buttons for each game with Logitech G hub software. Use hyper fast scrolling to rapidly review menus, long web pages and more
Almost universally considered the best overall gaming mouse, the Logitech G502 is the one to beat. Available in different configurations, including wireless and wired, the preferred model is the wireless edition which regularly costs over $100.
For the price, you get an ergonomically shaped right-hand mouse with 11 different programmable buttons. Logitech’s Hero 25K sensor is its most advanced ever, meaning a max DPI sensitivity of 25,600. Add in its adjustable weight system (six weights in total) and fully customizable RGB lighting, and you have what is close to the perfect gaming mouse.
The best part of the Logitech is easily its satisfying clicking action that you can’t find on competing models.
Get one on Amazon here.
Best Wired Gaming Mouse: Razer Basilisk V3
- 10 plus 1 Programmable Buttons: Assign all your macros and secondary functions across 11 programmable buttons — including its acclaimed multi-function trigger — to execute essential actions like push-to-talk, ping, and more
- 11 Razer Chroma RGB Lighting Zones: Bask in the Razer Basilisk V3’s glory as you customize each zone from over 16.8 million colors and countless lighting effects, all while it reacts dynamically with over 150 Chroma - integrated games
- Razer Optical Mouse Switches Gen - 2: With zero unintended misclicks you can count on these switches to provide crisp, responsive execution at a blistering 0.2m s actuation speed for up to 70 million clicks
- Razer Focus 26K DPI Optical Sensor : Our best-in-class sensor with intelligent functions such as asymmetric cut - off, flawlessly tracks your movement with zero smoothing, allowing for crisp response and pixel-precise accuracy
- Razer HyperScroll Tilt Wheel : Speed through content with a scroll wheel that free - spins until its stopped, or switch to tactile mode for more precision and satisfying feedback that’s ideal for cycling through weapons or skills
Thanks to its excellent wired connection to your PC, the Razer Basilisk V3 is the best wired gaming mouse available today.
Its ergonomic grip conforms to your hand while the click wheel feels just right for scrolling at any speed. Eleven programmable buttons include Razer’s standout multi-function trigger button paired with a 26K DPI senso and the promise of zero misclicks.
With all of these features tucked inside, it’s no wonder the Razer Basilisk V3 comes in a little heavier than competitive wired mouse options. If you can look past that, the solid feeling in your hand and excellent scroll wheel should make this your first choice for a wired gaming mouse.
Find yours on Amazon here.
Best Lightweight Gaming Mouse: SteelSeries Aerox 3
- 68g Ultra Lightweight - When quick movements and large swipes matter, Aerox 3’s super light design allows for faster and more accurate reaction times in game.
- TrueMove Air Sensor - A custom true 1-to-1 tracking sensor co-developed with PixArt specially for wireless performance. This 18,000 CPI, 400 IPS, 40G optical sensor delivers the speed and accuracy needed to improve your gameplay.
- Quantum 2.0 Wireless - All-new Quantum 2.0 Wireless technology transmits wireless data at unreal speeds in a more stable, reliable, and power efficient way than ever before.
- Dual Wireless - The flexibility to easily swap between ultra-fast gaming-grade wireless via 2.4 GHz, and convenient Bluetooth 5.0 for instant pairing on PC, Mac, laptops, and more.
- 200 Hour Battery Life - Engineered specifically for optimized power consumption, the Aerox 3 Wireless battery delivers up to 200 hours of continuous use without sacrificing performance and weight.
If its futuristic design doesn’t grab your attention, the lightweight frame of the SteelSeries Aerox 3 certainly will.
At just 68 grams in weight, the water-resistant frame is ultra comfortable to use with excellent ergonomics. Since you’ll be so comfortable, long gaming sessions are in your future and the Aerox 3 delivers 200 hours of continuous use battery life.
Being lightweight isn’t the Aerox 3’s only benefit either as its Quantum 2.0 wireless connection reduces latency to an almost non-existent level for a wireless mouse. That’s true of both your 2.4GHz wireless connection or Bluetooth 5.0 across PC and Mac. Accuracy is also helped by the TrueMove Air system which helps the SteelSeries glide effortlessly across a variety of surfaces.
You can buy it on Amazon here.
Best for MMOs: Razer Naga Trinity
- High-Precision 16,000 DPI Optical Sensor: Offers on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment through dedicated DPI buttons (reprogrammable) for gaming
- Full Modular Customizability: 3 interchangeable side plates with 2, 7 and 12-button configurations
- Up to 19 Programmable Buttons: Allows for button remapping and assignment of complex macro functions through Razer Synapse
- Customizable Chroma RGB Color Profiles: Supports 16.8 million color combinations w/ included preset profiles
- Ridged, Rubberized Scroll Wheel for Maximum Accuracy: Small, tactile bumps increases grip and allows for more controlled scrolling in high-stakes gaming situations
When it comes to MMO gaming, the Razer Naga Trinity is the one.
Instead of a one-size-fits-all design, the Naga Trinity offers three separate interchangeable side plates. Between the three plates, you can allow for up to 19 different programmable buttons. One plate has two buttons, another with seven buttons in a “hex pattern,” and the final plate adds 12 separate programmable buttons.
For MMO games like World of Warcraft, the more buttons the better. And for even more choice with the Naga Trinity, you can select from 16.8 million different RGB color combinations.
Latency isn’t a consideration either thanks to the wired connection through USB 2.0. That’s what you want to hear for a style of gaming where milliseconds can make all the difference.
Get one on Amazon here.
Best Ambidextrous Design: SteelSeries Sensei Ten
- TrueMove Pro optical gaming sensor with advanced true 1 to 1 tracking
- 60 million click mechanical switches are to feel crisp from the first click to the last
- Comfortable ambidextrous design is ergonomically designed for left and right handed players
- Made from hyper durable materials engineered with high grade polymer for years of durability
- On board memory to save polling rate, key binds, and up to 5 CPIs directly on the mouse
All too frequently the best gaming mice are made with right-handed users in mind. The SteelSeries Sensei Ten wants to change that with an ergonomic design that feels great for both right and left-handed users.
While it sacrifices physical programmable buttons for software-only solutions, the Sensei Ten still includes SteelSeries’ excellent TrueMove Pro sensor. This 18,000 DPI sensor ensures you always receive 1:1 tracking no matter what speed of game you are playing.
All of this means the SteelSeries Sensei Ten is one of the best gaming mouses in 2022 with true precision movement. A dual-spring mechanism and a lengthy warranty ensure you should be gaming for years to come. In fact, SteelSeries guarantees up to 60 million “clicks” before the springs risk functioning poorly.
Find it on Amazon here.
Best Budget-Friendly: Logitech G203 Lightsync
- Selling Gaming Gear Brand - Based on independent aggregated sales data (FEB ‘19 - FEB’20) of Gaming Keyboard, Mice, & PC Headset in units from: US, CA, CN, JP, KR, TW, TH, ID, DE, FR, RU, UK, SE, TR
- 8,000 DPI gaming-grade sensor responds precisely to movements. Customize your sensitivity settings to suit the sensitivity you like with Logitech G HUB gaming software and cycle easily through up to 5 DPI settings.
- Play in color with our most vibrant Lightsync RGB featuring color wave effects customizable across -16.8 million colors. Install Logitech G HUB software to choose from preset colors and animations or make your own. Game-driven, audio visualization and screen mapping options are also available.
- Play comfortably and with total control. The classic and simple 6-button layout and classic gaming shape is a comfortable time-tested and loved design. Each button can be customized using Logitech G HUB software to simplify tasks.
- Primary buttons are mechanical and tensioned with durable metal springs for reliability, performance and excellent feel. The crisp clicks and precise feedback delivers a great precision feel to maximize your fun in game.
You don’t have to pay through the roof for a solid gaming mouse in 2022 and the lightweight Logitech G203 Lightsync is proof of that.
Inexpensive doesn’t mean bad performance, as the Logitech still provides you with 8,000 DPI gaming-grade sensors. That’s good enough for precise movements without having to sacrifice build quality to achieve its low price.
Two extra side-buttons on the left-hand side of the mouse are both programmable through Logitech’s online software. Once you program it, you need to personalize, and with 16.8 RGB colors available, you can customize it as much or as little as you like. Like all of Logitech’s mouse products, the Lightsync offers durable material and crisp clicks every time you play.
Get yours on Amazon here.
Best Dual Mode: Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless
- Game in the Fast Lane: Play with hyper fast, sub 1ms Slipstream Corsair Wireless Technology, or connect with low latency Bluetooth or USB wired
- Weighs Just 99 grams: Lightweight construction, so you can play longer without fatigue
- Simple Setup Gets You Playing Faster: Just connect the wireless adapter to a USB port and switch the mouse on
- Contoured Shape and Rubber Side Grips: For long term comfort and a confident grip
- Up to 60 hours of Battery Life: Play uninterrupted with battery life that lasts for days, or plug in for wired mode to keep playing while charging
There are advantages (and disadvantages) to both wireless and wired best gaming mice. Fortunately, you don’t always have to choose, thanks to the Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless.
You can go wireless for up to sixty hours of battery life and when the battery runs out, plug the Corsair into your PC for uninterrupted gameplay. Thanks to Corsair’s Slipstream Wireless technology, latency is nearly as low with wireless as it is when you are wired.
Regardless of how you play, at 99 grams, the Corsair is one ergonomically lightweight gaming mouse. Rubber side grips offer you long-term comfort and make it easy to use any of the six programmable buttons. A 10,000 DPI optical sensor adds to the Corsair benefits with excellent tracking accuracy.
Find it on Amazon here.
Best RGB Lighting: ROCCAT Burst Pro
- SYMMETRICAL SHAPE - The Burst Pro Air symmetrical shape delivers more comfort than the competition; It features an ergonomic design crafted from scratch for comfort and performance; You'll notice the improvement the second you put your hand on it
- STELLAR WIRELESS PLUS BLUETOOTH - Choose between gaming-grade 2.4GHz and multi-purpose Bluetooth 5.2, with up to 100 hours of battery life; USB-C rapid charging gives you 5 hours of play time with just a 10-minute charge
- ROCCAT BIONIC SHELL - At just 81g, the Burst Pro Air features a water- and dust-resistant Bionic Shell and an enhanced lighting showcase with its 4 AIMO RGB zones
- TITAN SWITCH OPTICAL - Faster than any mechanical switch, ROCCAT’s Titan Switch Optical with adjustable debounce provides a long-lasting 100 million click life cycle, and speed-of-light actuation for unprecedented speed and precision
- ROCCAT OWL-EYE OPTICAL SENSOR - Experience smooth, precise tracking thanks to ROCCAT’s proven Owl-Eye optical sensor, now featuring 19K DPI and 400 IPS tracking speed with incredible power efficiency
Even though many of the best gaming mice in 2022 offer 16.8 million colors of RGB personalization, none do them as well as the ROCCAT Burst Pro.
Many RGB points on competitive mice line the sides or just the front or back of a gaming mouse. In the case of the ROCCAT, it’s the whole top of the mouse that lights up and it’s beautiful. Different illumination scenarios can be programmed thanks to compatibility with AIMO products.
Beyond its color schemes, the ROCCAT Burst Pro still shines with up to 100 hours of battery life. Once your battery life expires, you can be back gaming in no time as a 10-minute charge adds five hours of playtime. That’s pretty impressive for a gaming mouse that’s only 81 grams.
Buy it on Amazon here.
Best for Portability: Razer Orochi V2
- <60g Ultra-Lightweight Design: for seamless control when gaming on the go exlcudes battery weight
- 2 Wireless Modes: Maximize its battery life for work via Bluetooth, and maximize your after-hours gaming with the seamless, low-latency performance of Razer HyperSpeed Wireless.
- Up to 950hrs of Battery Life: Built for the gaming and work grind, it lasts up to 950 hours on Bluetooth and up to 425 hours on Razer HyperSpeed Wireless, and can go for ages before its batteries need replacing.
- 2nd-Gen Razer Mechanical Mouse Switches: With new gold-plated contact points, the switches are less prone to degrading and have a longer lifespan of up to 60 million clicks, so you can enjoy crisp execution that’s just as consistent
- Razer 5G Advanced 18K DPI Optical Sensor: Enjoy responsive, pixel-precise aim with an improved sensor that flawlessly tracks your movement with zero spinouts.
When you want or need to game on the go, you need a mouse that’s small and easy to carry around. The Razer Orochi V2 is all of this and so much more.
Weighing less than 60 grams, the Razer is small and light enough to stick into a bag. However, don’t let the Razer’s size fool you, as this compact option still packs a whopping 950 hours of battery life on Bluetooth, and up to 425 hours when played via Razer’s HyperSpeed Wireless connection.
The small size also hides a 2nd-Gen mechanical switch which has been tested to last up to 60 million different clicks. Just as good as the clicks are Razer’s 18K DPI optical sensor which is near pixel-precise and moves across multiple surface types while on the go.
Get one for yourself on Amazon here.
Best for First Person Games: SteelSeries Prime
- Esport Pro Design – developed in collaboration with over 100 pros for sustained comfort and agility in the most demanding levels of FPS gameplay.
- Optical Magnetic Switches – A first in esports, next-gen technology provides faster click-response time with 5x more durability than the competition, lasting for 100 million crispy clicks
- TrueMove Pro Sensor–Designed for the settings pros use, the TrueMove Pro sensor offers unrivaled precision and true 1-to-1 lift and tilt tracking with 18K CPI, 450 IPS and 50G
- 69g Lightweight Design -The ultimate performance at the ultimate weight, the streamlined build of the Prime enhances performance in FPS gameplay
- Our Most Comfortable Mouse – specialized engineered shaped the Prime for right-handed Pro players, working with multiple grip styles, like finger, palm, and claw for ultimate comfort and feel-good performance
There are gaming mice made for all types of gaming but for competitive first-person shooters, the SteelSeries Prime gaming mouse is best-in-class.
Designed in partnership with more than 100 eSports players, the SteelSeries Prime adds optical magnetic switches for durability that lasts five times as long as competitive gaming mice. At 69 grams in weight, moving the SteelSeries Prime around is fast and smooth while its ergonomic shape allows for multiple grip types so you can find the best fit while gaming.
Add in true 1-1 tracking 18K DPI on top of a textured matte finish, and you never need to worry about slippery hands in the heat of battle. Five customizable buttons ensure you can put your most used weapons one click away.
Buy it on Amazon here.
How to Pick The Best Gaming Mouse in 2022: A Step-by-Step Guide
As you look at the variety of different gaming mouses on the market today, there are four main considerations:
- Wired or Wireless
Wired or Wireless?
The question of whether a wired or wireless mouse is better for gaming has raged on for years.
Before you buy any gaming mouse, decide if you want the least amount of latency possible or dislike cords more. Realistically, wireless gaming mice are as good as they have ever been and the gap between wired and wireless latency is small.
For many buyers, a wireless mouse and its lack of cords make for a more enjoyable gaming space. You can count us firmly in the wireless camp, as too many cords quickly become an eyesore. Depending on how you game, wireless latency will appear almost non-existent, but for the hardcore gamer, it’s a definite factor.
No matter if you are a casual or professional gamer, strong ergonomics are absolutely an important consideration in a gaming mouse. All gaming mice have some ergonomics built in, thanks to the curvature of their design or the material with which they are built.
One of the reasons the Logitech G502 is the best overall gaming mouse in 2022 is its best-in-class ergonomics. Feeling like it conforms to the shape of your hand, ergonomics will make all the difference between hand cramps and long gaming sessions.
It might not seem noticeable at first, but while testing many of these mice, we immediately noticed that a few grams here and there mattered quite a bit. Lighter is definitely the way to go for most people but, for some gamers, especially those with larger hands, heavier might be better. The SteelSeries Aerox 3 is a prime example of how weight and function go hand-in-hand.
The final consideration for any purchase of one of the best gaming mice for you is purpose.
While most of the best options are general purpose, there are mice like the Razer Naga Trinity that are built for MMO games in mind. The same goes for the SteelSeries Prime, which is ideal for anyone who spends a lot of their time with FPS titles. If you have a specific gaming mouse needs, look for one that best serves your niche.
Using The Best Gaming Mouse in 2022: What It’s Like
Over the course of the last week we’ve been using a variety of different mice to help determine which are the best. We used them on various surfaces, including different desks, mouse pads and even glass when possible, all while playing FPS, RTS and MMO titles. What we learned is that for the most part, every mouse performed pretty well. The only big variance on different surfaces is glass, which is notoriously difficult for any mice, no matter the cost.
As far as comfort and ergonomics, the good news is that we found that all of them were comfortable to some extent. The Logitech G502 was undoubtedly the most comfortable even after hours of testing various games on GamePass and Steam.
That said, every company on this list including Razer, Corsair and SteelSeries has plenty of background in mouse production so they know what works. We tried both left and right hand placement as well as adjusting our hand position every once in a while to see if we could find angles that both maximized and reduced comfort.
The last big part of our test was looking at the various programmable buttons and seeing how well they worked. For the most part, every mouse performed as promised. We definitely had the most fun with the Razer Naga Trinity and its adjustable plates, even if MMO gaming isn’t our style. Likewise, testing out battery life was challenging in a good way. We tried to find if any of the best gaming mice didn’t live up to the manufacturer’s promised battery life. The good news is, they all do.
Last update on 2022-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API