- When choosing the best follow-me drone, there are several factors to consider, including price, flight time, and portability, among others.
- The DJI Mavic 3 was voted the best overall follow-me drone.
- If budget is a concern, the Potensic T25 may be for you.
Shopping for the best “follow me” drone for your adventures can be daunting. On any day, you’d have to explore different drones and sift through a ton of information before making a decision. Buy the right drone, and you’ll capture those once-in-a-lifetime moments. Get the wrong drone, and your money will go down the drain.
After some weeks of sleuthing, we’ve come up with a list of the best follow-me drones that shoot videos, plus some insight on choosing the best drones. Here are the top models in 2022.
- Best overall: DJI Mavic 3
- Best for beginners: DJI Mini 2
- Best for the pros: Yuneec Typhoon H Plus
- Best for budget: Potensic T25
- Best for traveling: Parrot Anafi
Best Overall Follow Me Drone: DJI Mavic 3
- With a 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad Camera, the sensor provides a 12.8-stop dynamic range that retains more details in highlights and shadows
- 46 Minutes of flight time
- Equipped with advanced Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing, letting you fly confidently and safely wherever you are
- 15-kilometer max transmission range, which means you can fly farther to explore and capture more
- O3 Plus Transmission system for smooth and stable live feeds are smooth and stable.
- Smart Return to Home with a new Advanced RTH system whether activated by low battery or the pilot
DJI Mavic 3is our best overall follow me drone thanks to amazing camera, flight time, and tracking/obstacle avoidance capabilities.
The Mavic 3 breaks the rules with a 46-minute flight time and an impressive transmission range of 9.3 miles. The image quality of this unit is second to none, with a 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad camera and 5.1k video. Omnidirectional object navigation helps you navigate a complex environment. No matter your location, you’re sure to get the best footage possible on your next adventure.
When shopping for the Mavic 3, ensure that you look at all three packages. The standard is a stripped-down kit that gives you the bare minimum to get started. With the Mavic 3 Cine Premium Combo, you’ll have a setup that is fit for the pros. The advanced technology and usability do come with a price, though, adding about $3000 to the standard package.
Check out the DJI Mavic 3 on Amazon.
Best for Beginners: DJI Mini 2
- 57.6kph in Sports Mode and 36kph in Normal Mode
- 5200mAh battery provides 31 minutes of flight time
- Smart Return to Home (RTH) feature causes the drone to return to its takeoff location with the press of a button
- Shoots DNG raw photos
- 4K/30fps resolution videos while shooting at 100Mbps
Weighing 249 grams, the DJI Mini 2 has most features a beginner drone pilot and content creator would need and is small enough to fit into your hand.
Mini 2 for beginners isn’t just affordable but simple to repair if you do crash. If you’re little unit crashes while learning, you can fix it. However, the Mini 2 does not have obstacle avoidance technology. So, for beginners, it’s going to force you to learn how to fly a drone, which is a good thing.
The DJI Mini 2 has a 4K 30 camera that can capture 12MP photos, 31-minute flight time, and 4X zoom, which is not bad for a drone in this price range. Most pricier models in 2022 have obstacle recognition but do cost a lot more. So, as a newbie, the Mini 2 is a great place to start.
Check out the DJI Mini 2 on Amazon.
Best Follow Me Drones for Professionals: Yuneec Typhoon H Plus
- Capture 4K Video and 20MP Photos. 360-Degree Image and Video Capture. 3-Axis Sensor-Driven Image Stabilization
- Up to 1 Mile 2.4/5.8 GHz Wi-Fi Range. Flight Controller with 7" Touch Screen.
- Up to 30 Minutes of Flight Time.
- Intel RealSense Collision Avoidance. Intelligent Autonomous Flight Modes.
- Can Withstand Winds up to 35 mph. 5-Rotor Fail Safe Mode.
Yuneec Typhoon H Plus is ideal for drone enthusiasts looking to capture their wild rides, greatest stunts, and memorable trips in HD.
Equipped with a C23 4K UHD camera, Yuneec Typhon can produce top-notch video and quality stills. The large aperture 1-inch camera takes 20-megapixel stills and 4K footage at 60fps. Anyone with basic drone experience can use it to shoot amazing pictures and videos.
The Yuneec Typhoon has a flight time of 28 minutes in normal weather conditions and is a stable flight in winds up to 30mph. RealSense Technology minimizes collisions. Two batteries, ST16S smart controller, charging accessories, and a travel backpack are all included in the drone’s package.
Check out the Yuneec Typhoon H Plus on Amazon.
As of July 20, 2023, this product is currently unavailable on Amazon. Please check back later.
Best If You’re on a Tight Budget: Potensic T25
Coming in at under $200, is an affordable and functional drone. It’s the perfect UAV for beginners with cash concerns.
Potensic T25 is equipped with a high-res Wifi camera for live videos. For better shots, you can adjust the camera in flight. This camera has a follow-me capability, auto home return, two batteries, and a carrying case for travel.
Be aware that at this price, the Potensic T25 has a flight time of only 10 minutes. The Customized Flight Path feature allows the pilot to enter a predetermined path for the drone with their smartphone. This feature can help you avoid obstacles and get the exact footage you want.
Check out the Potensic T25 on Amazon.
Best Follow Me Drone for Travel: Parrot Anafi
- This drone with a camera equipped with f/2.4 wide angle ASPH lens, HDR, and up to 2.8 times digital zoom captures spectacular 4K videos, Full HD or 2.7K videos (2704x1520), and 21 MP photos without...
- The ANAFI Parrot Drone can have up to 25 minutes of filmed flight time thanks to an intelligent Li-Po battery that optimizes its life and charges 60% faster using the Power Delivery USB Type C...
- With its ultra-compact and lightweight carbon frame (320 g), this quadcopter drone unfolds in less than 3 seconds, reaches a speed of 55 km/h in sport mode and withstands bullets up to 50 km/h
- Equipped with a Parrot Skycontroller 3 folding remote control, the ANAFI Parrot Drone can be located at any time thanks to the activation of your smartphone’s vibrator when attention or immediate...
- Software updates can make changes to existing features, further enhance ANAFI’s reliability and performance, or offer new experiences. It is therefore important to have an updated FreeFlight 6...
Anafi foldable drone has a 21-megapixel camera and comes with three package options: Base, Extended, and FPV. Its kit has a ton of extras, including FPV Cockpitglasses 3, to put you in the pilot’s spot for an immersive experience. Once it goes airborne, you can stream live in 4K Full HD for an entire 25-minute flight time.
Regardless of the package, you’ll get the same benefits of this small drone for travel. When folded for transport, the Anafi measures 9.6 by 2.6 by 2.5 inches. It’s also lightweight, coming in at just over 11 ounces. And, with USB charging, there is no need to carry a clunky extra battery charger.
We appreciate its extra small travel size, but the camera positioning is the real star of the show. A 3-axis gimbal gives allows you to move the camera up or down to get footage from extra vantage points.
Check out the Parrot Anafi on Amazon.
How to Pick the Best Follow Me Drone
When shopping for a drone, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Let’s look at five key things to key consider so you can get a perfect match.
The first step is to decide how much you’re willing or have to spend. With a huge range of prices from under $200 to $5000, this should be your natural first priority.
Think about what you intend to use your drone for. This goes hand in hand with price. Spending less money on a cheaper drone with a shorter flight time means less enjoyment and adventure.
Some of the drones on our list have obstacle avoidance, and some don’t. Evaluate the types of environments you’ll be operating and decide on the right drone. For mostly open areas, this is not a huge concern. If your videography involves a lot of trees, canyons, tunnels, and the like, then this can be a major feature to consider.
Are you going to be close to home most of the time, or do your adventures take you all over the globe? If it’s the latter, then definitely consider one of the smaller, foldable models made for travel.
Always make sure you double-check the accessories that come with each drone package. When you start adding all the extras not included in the specs, the price can go up dramatically.
What to Know Before Buying a Follow Me Drone
Much like anything else, find out what is actually available on the market. This may seem like an easy task, but it’s complicated when you get caught up in the marketing hype. One important thing to keep in mind about drones is they are not toys. A drone can be dangerous if used improperly. Learn to operate them safely first before you go out.
Obstacle avoidance is also an issue if you’re going to be in areas with lots of obstructions as your drone follows you through the wilderness or city street. Crashing your drones will cost more in the long run than upgrading in the first place.
Using a “Follow Me” Drone: What’s It Like?
Once you buy a drone, you can start your adventures. The right drone will follow you and shoot quality videos and photos that you can share with the world. You also get the benefit of having a record of the exciting things you have done and your outdoor feats.
A good drone also gives you unique views of all your experiences that you wouldn’t normally have with only a subjective point of view. No matter what your hobby or passion is, a good follow-me drone is an awesome partner to take on all your journeys.
If you’re into all things drones and tech, check out a few more interesting articles here:
- The 4 Fastest Drones On the Market Today
- The 5 Best Drones For Racing (Speed, Maneuverability, and More)
- The 5 Best Drones With Cameras: Reviewed and Ranked
The image featured at the top of this post is ©VY Media/Shutterstock.com.
Last update on 2023-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API