The best electric bikes feature the right amount of power and a battery life that accommodates for how you like to ride. However, each bike is built differently, and some handle different terrain better than others. Users also need to consider if the model of their choice is legal in their local area.
All of these aspects can make choosing a bike a difficult task, but we’ve got you covered. We’ve reviewed dozens of models on Amazon to offer you the best model for any situation. Continue reading for our list of the best electric bikes you can buy today.
- Best Overall: Heybike Mars
- Best for Performance: OPEAK Hummer
- Best for Budget: Sailnovo Y1
- Best for Urban Environments: NAKTO Santa Monica
- Best for Off-road: Avantrek Macrover 100
Best Electric Bikes: Side-by-Side Comparison
|Heybike Mars||OPEAK Hummer||Sailnovo Y1||NAKTO Santa Monica||Avantrek Macrover 100|
|Battery||48V 12.5Ah||48V 12Ah||36V 10.4Ah||48V 10Ah||36V 12 Ah|
|Max Range||37 miles (pure electric)|
48 miles (pedal assist)
|34 miles (pure electric)|
46 miles (pedal assist)
|20 miles (pure electric)|
28 miles (pedal assist)
|35 miles (pure electric)|
45 miles (pedal assist)
|25 miles (pure electric)|
32 miles (pedal assist)
|Tire||20” x 4”||26” x 4”||14” x 2”||26” x 1.75”||26” x 4”|
|Frame||Foldable medium frame||Foldable high frame||Foldable medium frame||High step frame||High step frame|
|Suggested Use||Neighborhood, trail, travel, sand, snow||Neighborhood, trail, travel, sand, snow||Neighborhood, urban, commuting, travel||Neighborhood, urban, commuting, travel||Neighborhood, trail, travel, sand, snow|
Best Overall: Heybike Mars
- 48 MILES RANGE & 20MPH TOP SPEED –Mars are equipped with modular 48V 12.5Ah batteries & 500w Brushless Geared Motor to ensure a long-life span and excellent performance.
- 4" FAT TIRES – With 4 inch wide puncture resistant fat tires and dual suspension. The places that Heybike Mars can take you are almost limitless: downtown around, rocky roads, sandy beaches, snowy...
- EXCELLENT RIDING PERFORMANCE – Customize your ride performance with 3 riding modes and 7-speed. The perfect dual disc brakes and lighting system fully protect your safety.
- FOLDABLE & ADJUSTABLE DESIGN - It's hard to beat the convenience of a bike that origamis down to fit your car—but can also make your commute faster and less taxing.
- READY TO GO - The electric bike already comes pre-assembled so you won't have to waste time with complicated assembly. Integrated rear rack can attach panniers, platforms or baskets and let the bike...
Whether you’re just starting with E-bikes or you’re looking to upgrade, the Heybike Mars offers great specs and versatility for an affordable price. It features the most powerful battery on our list with 48 volts and 12.5 amp hours, giving you nearly 50 miles of use at 20 miles per hour. And the bike’s fat tires allow you to take it into any terrain; the Mars is capable of navigating everything from neighborhood streets to sand and snow.
What makes this one of the best electric bikes is how easy it transports. The Heybike features a foldable frame, allowing you to pack it in the trunk of your vehicle. One aspect that we wish was better designed, however, is its wiring.
The electronics run down through a silicon sheathing and tie to the underside of the frame. When folding up this bike, make sure your wires don’t catch or tear. This bike normally costs $1,500 on Amazon, but right now you can get it for $1,099.
Check out Heybike Mars on Amazon.
Best for Performance: OPEAK Hummer
- 48V 13.6 AH removable battery
- Charging time from 0-100% is about 6 hours
- 750W high-speed brushless motor
- 1-5 gears
- 26-inch diameter, 4-inch wide thickened tires
- High-performance hydraulic disc brakes
The OPEAK Hummer takes all the power of the Heybike and ramps it up to the next level. This electric bike features a 750-watt motor, giving it a top speed of 32 miles per hour. And its massive, 26” tires can take on the meanest, bumpiest trails without jarring its rider.
Also featuring a folding frame, the Hummer is made for adventure. However, if you need to take it into speed-restricted areas, this model features 5 levels of pedal assistance that can control its speed. If you’re thinking about buying the OPEAK, you’ll have to pay a premium price; this model sells on Amazon for $1,900.
Check out OPEAK Hummer on Amazon.
Best for Budget: Sailnovo Y1
- PARAMETERS: 350W Powerful electric bikes with a 36V 374.4WH built-in rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (5-6h charging time) and up to 18.5mph speed, providing enough power for everyday commuting,...
- INDIVIDUALIZED DESIGN: With a color block looking, sports style, streamlined matte surface, this portable mini city bike is equipped with dual disc brakes, non-slip bump handlebars, LCD battery/speed...
- AMAZING COMMUTING BIKES: This electric bike for teens and adults is great for commuting on flat city roads (max slope 15°). You can add a basket to the front or install a kettle holder to carry...
- 3 WORKING MODES: Pure electric mode, electric assist mode and normal bike mode. Combining 3 riding modes, it is fun to ride around the neighborhood, town, park trails, city streets, campus and...
- PRE-ASSEMBLED & SUPPORT: 90% pre-assembled, no complicated assembly, quicker to enjoy a new ride. Max load: 265lbs/120kg, recommended height: 4'10''-5'10''. 1-year warranty for the bike parts and...
If you’re just looking for an E-bike experience without the price tag, there’s no better option than the Sailnovo Y1. This little vehicle might seem underwhelming at first glance, but for under $500, it’s one of the best electric bikes for the budget-conscious. With a 36V battery and a 350W motor, you can still have fun at nearly 19 miles per hour while riding around town.
Before you get too excited about this model, it’s important to know that the Sailnovo isn’t built for the trails like our performance options. This electric bike features thin, 14-inch tires and a simple braking system, which isn’t conducive to difficult terrain.
It also comes with a single speed, which makes it a challenge to control your speed. Still, if you’re just whipping it around your neighborhood or riding it to work, the Sailnovo is a nice, affordable option.
Check out Sailnovo Y1 on Amazon.
Best for Urban Environments: NAKTO Santa Monica
- STRONGER 500W MOTOR --- The mountain ebike is equipped with a 500W high-speed brushless motor, which provides enough power for your daily commute, cruising in the mountains, or walking along your...
- REMOVABLE BATTERY --- With the 48V 10Ah Lithium battery, you can reach a range of up to 35-40 miles per charge. Plenty for a day’s adventure or most trips to travel and back. You can charge the...
- HIGH COST PERFORMANCE PARTS --- The light, strong Aluminum Alloy frame, Aluminum Alloy double-walled rims are for greater durability, Lockable suspension fork provides more comfortable and smooth...
- 3 WORKING MODES ---electric bicycles, auxiliary bicycles and ordinary bicycles. This ebike is equipped with two mode of cruise control:Walk Cruise Mode---While dismounted, press and continue to hold...
- Pre-assembled&service--- It fully assembles the seat and rear wheel, and after a simple step, the handlebar and front wheel assemble, you're ready to go .We provide one-year guaranty of free...
For those wanting a more serious option for an urban commute, the NAKTO Santa Monica is built for the road.
It features a strong, 500-watt motor that can provide speeds of up to 25 miles per hour for nearly 50 miles on a single charge. And its large, 26” tires and traditional bike mode allow users to ride with ease, even while it’s uncharged.
While the Santa Monica is great for local and urban environments, its design makes it less versatile than some of our other options. This electric bike has a solid, high-step frame, meaning you’ll have to carry it with a bike rack if you’re traveling out of town.
And its thin tires make it less ideal for rugged trails. For a daily rider, however, this NAKTO model is one of the best electric bikes out there. You can purchase the Santa Monica for under $1000.
Check out NAKTO Santa Monica on Amazon.
Best for Off-road: Avantrek Macrover 100
- 1.5X FASTER CHARGE - Equipped with 3A fast charger to fully charge 13Ah battery in 3-4 hours, 1.5X faster than 2A standard charger. Very convenient for those who like outdoor adventures. Recharge your...
- LARGE 468WH BATTERY - Cruise for 25-28 miles in all-electric mode and 32-50 miles in pedal-assisted mode. If you commute in pedal-assisted mode 10 miles each day, 5 days a week, you’ll only need to...
- 500W BRUSHLESS MOTOR- With 500W power and 55Nm torque, it boosts the fat bike to a top speed of 20mph, getting you up the 15° hills with ease. Plus, it offers 750W of peak power for all of your on...
- FRONT SUSPENSION - No terrain is too rugged for the Macrover 100, and a suspension fork with a bump-absorbing 60mm of travel means that you'll conquer all the trail as well as the streets with...
- FAT TIRES - Featured with 26"x4" versatile and puncture-resistant knobby fat tires for a stable, comfortable, and confident ride on a wide variety of terrains and conditions
Maybe you can’t get enough of the outdoors and you’re looking for a bike to take you there. The Avantrek Macrover 100 was built with sand, snow, and mountains in mind. This electric bike comes with a 500W brushless motor that can peak at 750W for tough areas.
And its beefy, 26” fat tires can take a beating against the gnarliest rocks and boulders.
Avantrek built the Macrover 100 with a durable, aluminum alloy frame. They kept the rugged trail in mind, feeding the wires into the body.
While its battery works overtime on adventures, this electric bike comes with a 3A charger, which can fully charge the battery in under 4 hours. This off-road E-bike is relatively affordable, too; you can purchase the Macrover 100 for $899.
Check out Avantrek Macrover 100 on Amazon.
As of July 19, 2023, this product is currently unavailable on Amazon. Please check back later.
How to Pick the Best Electric Bike: Step by Step
When choosing the right electric bike, there are four main considerations.
- Motor type
- Battery size
- Bike category
Let’s review each one in more detail.
When searching for the best electric bikes, you’ll want to consider how powerful their motor is. This aspect determines how fast the vehicle can go and is measured in watts.
Most electric bike motors are capable of 15-20 miles per hour, so unless you’re planning on riding in difficult terrain or just want the fastest model on the market, any should work fine.
The size of your electric bike’s battery determines how long you can ride on pure electric. When considering how large of a battery you need, where you plan on riding becomes a major factor. Those with short commutes to work wouldn’t need as large a battery as those riding cross country.
It’s also important to know that the terrain you ride on can affect how quickly your battery drains. 20 miles on paved roads will take less power than 20 miles up and down mountain paths. You can conserve battery power using a pedal assist or keeping the speed below max.
Some bikes handle certain conditions better than others, so you’ll want to know where you plan to ride before buying one. There are generally three types of electric bikes, which include:
- Road bikes
- Mountain bikes
- Cargo bikes
Road bikes typically feature thinner tires for less drag and carbon fiber bodies to keep them light. Mountain bikes will have thicker fat tires to help with grip and full suspension to absorb bumps. Cargo bikes have large batteries to support heavy cargo and often have a storage area in the front or back. Depending on your needs, consider bikes in one of these categories.
Due to their relatively young market, electric bikes still feature a large price tag; you can expect to pay no less than $1,000 for a quality model. They also have a wide cost range, with some of the best models reaching beyond $5,000. This continues to climb with cargo bikes, which can run for $10,000.
When you’re considering the best electric bikes, understand that this purchase becomes an investment. You can find yourself out several hundred dollars if you buy a model well under the $1,000 threshold. Take time to carefully study the models you’re interested in, including the customer reviews.
What to Know Before Buying an Electric Bike
Due to their speed and motorized nature, some towns and cities have regulations about how people can use electric bikes. To determine which bikes are legal in your area, you’ll have to compare their classification to your local regulations. Electric bikes have three classifications:
Class 1: Only assist when pedaled and have a top speed of 20mph.
Class 2: Assist with the throttle or pedal and have a top speed of 20mph.
Class 3: Only assist when pedaled and have a top speed of 28mph.
Buying an Electric Bike on Amazon
When purchasing one of the best electric bikes on Amazon, customers have the option to purchase professional assembly. This includes setting up the electronics and settings as well as testing that the bike functions properly. Because of its function, it’s important to assemble your bike properly to avoid injury. If you are uncomfortable setting up your electric bike, this option is great for ensuring your safety when riding. Amazon’s professional assembly comes at a flat cost of $125, regardless of the model.
Using an Electric Bike: What It’s Like
When testing the best electric bikes on Amazon, users took each model into different terrain. While all of them handled well on pavement, the Sailnovo Y1 was difficult to handle in rough conditions. And due to its design, the OPEAK was not allowed to ride in certain cities.
When used downtown for commutes, each electric bike rode at a comfortable speed. This made the Y1 particularly nice when considering its price. However, longer rides made the budget model uncomfortable to ride, with users preferring the more durably designed Santa Monica.
Best Electric Bikes: Further Reading
There are plenty of options to choose from when searching for the best electric bikes. Whether you plan on riding through town daily or tackling the trails, we’ve found the right model for you. For more of the latest electric vehicles and other gadgets, check out the articles below.
- Electric Motorcycle Guide: What Can You Actually Buy Today? – The newest, eco-friendly class of motorcycles you’ll want to hit the road on.
- The Best Electric Scooters in 2022 for Every Budget – The most advanced electric scooters that you can ride today.
- The 8 Best Electric Skateboards You Can Buy Today – A technological innovation on one of the coolest forms of transportation.
- 2023 Electric Cars: 7 Incredible New EVs Launching Soon – See how auto manufacturers are changing the electric vehicle industry.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©sylv1rob1/Shutterstock.com.