- When choosing the best action camera for sports, there are several factors to consider, including video quality, waterproofing, memory, battery life, and mounting options, among others.
- The DJI Pocket 2 was voted the best overall action camera for sports.
- If budget is a concern, the Olympus TG-Tracker may be for you.
The best action cameras provide several features that make them an excellent choice for capturing sports. Whether you’re jumping in a pool, riding a bike, or engaging in an extreme sport, these cameras will help you capture your most thrilling adventures.
Action cameras are now standard equipment for recording outdoor activities, making them a must-have for anyone with even the slightest interest in shooting sports videos. Here are five of the best models on the market today:
- Best Overall: DJI Pocket 2
- Best Runner Up: Insta360 ONE RS
- Best Stabilization: AKASO EK7000 Pro
- Best for Performance: GoPro Hero 8 Black
- Best Budget: Olympus TG-Tracker
Best Overall: DJI Pocket 2
- MOTORIZED STABILIZATION: A 3-axis gimbal stabilizes the camera for smooth video on the move. This technology is also great for a crisp photo at any time. The gimbal keeps the camera steady, even for...
- HIGH IMAGE QUALITY: An upgraded 1/1.7-inch sensor captures images with 64MP photo and 4K video. A sweeping 20mm f/1.8 lens provides a wide, vivid cinematic look.
- ENHANCED AUDIO: Consisting of four microphones, DJI Matrix Stereo offers sound recording in different directions, as well as Audio Zoom and SoundTrack, which enhance audio based on the camera's...
- GLAMOUR EFFECTS: Always share your best selfie with Glamour Effects. Boasting a 93° angle view, Pocket 2 allows for more flexible capture and perfectly-composed shots for social media.
- AI EDITOR: AI Editor automatically combines your clips with transitions and music to create share-worthy content.
The DJI Pocket 2 is one of the market’s most advanced pocket-sized action cameras. It comes with ActiveTrack 3.0 and Tripod mode, which allow you to track your subject automatically while still maintaining focus. You can also switch to Tripod mode when shooting video from a tripod, allowing you to enjoy smooth, stabilized footage at all times.
It comes with four built-in mics so that you can record clear audio regardless of the environment. This is a great feature for those who are planning to shoot an interview or a vlog. The Pocket 2 also offers real-time filters and effects, so you can stream your videos directly to YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and more without the need for any post-production editing.
This camera comes with a battery that can record up to 130 minutes of 4K footage. It supports both microSD cards and a 128GB SDXC card. It also has a port to charge your phone, so you won’t need a separate charging cable. The Pocket 2 is ideal for recording events like skateboarding or snowboarding. Its high-quality video and audio are particularly noteworthy.
So, if you’re looking for a model that offers great stability, performance, and audio recording, DJI Pocket 2 is a good choice.
Check out DJI Pocket 2 on Amazon.
Best Runner Up: Insta360 ONE RS
- 4K Boost Lens & 5.7K 360 Lens: Get two cameras in one with Insta360 ONE RS. Swap between the new 4K Boost Lens for stunningly detailed wide-angle videos and the 360 Lens for endless creative...
- FlowState Stabilization: Buttery smooth image stabilization, no matter what lens you use. The powerful RS Core now delivers FlowState stabilization in camera when paired with the wide-angle lenses. No...
- 48MP Photos, 6K Widescreen Video & Active HDR Video: Thanks to a new sensor, capture crisp 48MP photos, ultra-detailed 6K widescreen videos and vibrant HDR action videos.
- Invisible Selfie Stick: Don't ruin the view with an ugly selfie stick! The 360 Lens makes the Invisible Selfie Stick totally disappear from your shots for impossible drone-like footage and...
- In the Box: 1x 4K Boost Lens, 1x 360 Lens, 1x ONE RS Core, 1x ONE RS Battery Base, 1x Lens Cap for 360 Lens and 1x ONE RS Mounting Bracket.
Insta360 ONE RS is a water- and dust-proof 360-degree camera with interchangeable lenses. It’s also one of the most secure and versatile cameras on the market today. The Insta360 ONE RS comes with a waterproof case that allows it to endure any weather conditions. This includes rain, dust, sand, and gentle snow. It also comes with a battery that lasts up to four hours.
The Insta360 ONE RS features a 6.8K resolution for videos and a 48MP lens. It captures 4K video at 30fps and 1080p at 120fps. You can also take photos with a 360-degree camera lens and a 130-degree wide-angle camera lens. In addition, the Insta360 ONE RS features a gimbal that stabilizes the camera when shooting a 360-degree video. It also comes with True View technology, allowing viewers to see the same thing as the camera in real time.
Check out Insta360 ONE RS on Amazon.
Best Stabilization: AKASO EK7000 Pro
- UPGRADE SERIES OF AKASO EK7000: AKASO EK7000 Pro action camera delivers 4K/30fps, 1080P/60fps videos and 20MP photos that capture every moment in crisp detail and unparalleled clarity.
- INTUITIVE UI DESIGN: Ultra 2 inch IPS touch screen shows everything crystal clearly and brightly, easy to change settings, switch shooting modes, preview and playback footage.
- ELECTRONIC IMAGE STABILIZATION: Built-in Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) delivers steady and smooth videos. AKASO EK7000 Pro sports camera ensures excellent experience in shooting fast-moving...
- WATERPROOF CAMERA UP TO 131FT: Equipped with the upgraded waterproof case, this underwater camera can deep dive up to 131 feet, ready to capture all details of your adventures. Ideal for water sports...
- ADJUSTABLE VIEW ANGLE: You can set the view angle of this action camera depending on your needs between super wide, wide, medium and narrow. It's easier to hit someone with low angle. With high angle...
The AKASO EK7000 Pro 4K Action Camera offers several features that make it one of the best cameras for capturing sports. It has an impressive 4K HDR video recording capability and captures amazingly detailed images. It also records in Full HD at 60 fps, making its videos look smooth while providing pleasing transitions between each frame. This model also has a 20MP front camera that is ideal for taking good-looking selfies as well as group shots.
The AKASO EK7000 Pro 4K Action Camera can also shoot in RAW format. This means that you get to process your files using image editing software, making any adjustments you need to. Regardless of what kind of sports you’re shooting, this camera offers plenty of versatility and will let you capture everything with a really professional look.
The AKASO EK7000 Pro 4K Action Camera is also waterproof and can be used for underwater shooting. This makes it an excellent choice for snorkeling, scuba diving, surfing, and other water sports. The camera is equipped with a special design that allows it to stand up on the water’s surface. This makes for safer shooting as you don’t have to worry about the camera sinking if you forget to put it on your head.
The AKASO EK7000 Pro 4K Action Camera comes with two rechargeable batteries. It also has a standard tripod mount and a waterproof case that allows you to shoot up to 40 meters underwater. The camera has a remote control, making shooting much easier and more convenient. Various accessories are also included in the kit, such as a car dashboard holder, a goggle strap, helmet mounts, and other add-ons.
Check out AKASO EK7000 Pro on Amazon.
Best for Performance: GoPro Hero 8 Black
- GOPRO HERO8 BUNDLE: GoPro HERO8 Black Camera plus Battery plus Sleeve Lanyard features amazing HyperSmooth 2.0 video stabilization combines with a tough waterproof design to make this one of the most...
- PRO-QUALITY 4K60 plus 1080p240 VIDEO: Stunning video resolution, impressive frame rates and super slo-mo combine with HyperSmooth stabilization to make HERO8 Black a top pick for pro shooters; live...
- RUGGED plus WATERPROOF plus ADVANCED WIND NOISE REDUCTION: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO8 Black is rugged, waterproof to 33ft (10m) and down for adventure. Enjoy crisper,...
- HYPERSMOOTH 2.0: The HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization—On, High and Boost—so you can pick the best option for whatever you do. Get an ultra wide view, or boost it up to some of the...
- COMPATIBLE WITH GOPRO MOUNTS plus ACCESSORIES: Wear it. Mount it. Love it. With over 45 compatible mounts and accessories, including mods to customize your HERO8 Black, you can capture incredible new...
GoPro Hero 8 Black is a wonderful GoPro action camera that comes with a waterproof case. It has an LCD touch screen which enables you to check out the images and videos you have recorded. The camera is really easy to use and gives you a remote viewfinder, so you can use it even when your hands are full.
With it, you can take professional shots because of its image editing software and voice control feature. The camera can record videos at 4K resolution, and it’s a better choice for anyone searching for a professional device that will enable them to produce high-quality video footage. The GoPro HERO8 is one of the best sports cameras on the market today. It has a terrific design and an excellent touch screen that makes it easy for you to check out your shots.
The camera supports voice control, which means you can use it even when your hands are full. It also has a mode that allows you to record 4K videos, perfect for producing excellent video quality. The camera can record videos at 30 fps, which means that every movement is captured in crisp detail, and the video will have an excellent dynamic range. It captures superb slow-motion footage and comes with software that lets you edit your videos on your PC or MAC.
Check out GoPro Hero 8 Black on Amazon.
Best Budget: Olympus TG-Tracker
- 4K 30P Video capture
- Dimensions 35.0 x 56.5 x 93.2mm,1.37 x 2.22 x 3.67 inches. 204 Degree Extreme Angle f2.0 High-Speed Lens
- Waterproof to 100 feet/30 meters without housing
- Built in Wi-Fi
- 5 Built-In sensors capture movement: GPS, eCompass, Accelerometer, Thermometer, and Barometer
The Olympus TG-Tracker is a small 1080P action camera that is bound to appeal to sports enthusiasts. This compact device can capture 1080p videos at 30 frames per second and comes in two colors – black and green. It has a 1.5-inch LCD screen, which captures footage in full detail for easier editing later on. The TG-Tracker also features an accelerometer and gyroscope to stabilize photos and videos by compensating for any bumps during recording.
The TG-Tracker features a loop recording mode, where it automatically overwrites the older video clips when the memory card is full. Its battery can last up to 2 hours and recharges in approximately 4 hours via the included micro USB cable. The camera package also comes with a waterproof case that can go as deep as 30 meters underwater. The TG-Tracker offers a number of functions and settings to customize how you want to use it.
Two buttons are available; one for powering up the camera and another for enabling burst mode. The touch screen also offers preset modes that have different effects: slow motion, time-lapse, and night mode. These modes will help create unique videos for different events or for when you want to capture footage at an extreme speed or in high resolution.
Check out Olympus TG-Tracker on Amazon.
How To Pick The Best Action Cameras for Sports: Step by Step
Choosing the best action cameras for sports is a matter of understanding the features you need and getting to know the cameras’ specifications. Here are some of the factors to consider:
- Video and Photo Quality
- Waterproof Rating
- Form Factor and Size
- Memory and Battery
- Remote Control
- Mounting Options
- Additional Features
Video and Photo Quality
The first thing to consider when picking action cameras is their ability to capture the best possible quality of both video and photos. If you want your camera to do both, ensure its video resolution is higher than the photo resolution. Not only will you be able to capture better videos, but you’ll also be able to zoom in for more detailed viewing and focus on specific areas in both photos and videos.
Waterproofing an action camera is an important feature that is often overlooked. When taking videos or photos underwater, avoid buying a camera with a lower waterproof rating than 30 feet (10 m). Waterproofing ratings should be well tested by the manufacturer, as improper testing methods may lead to a much lower rating. Look for cameras with a waterproof rating of at least 30 feet (10 m).
Form Factor and Size
While it’s true that smaller cameras are easier to use, they tend to be less durable than comparably larger devices. Instead of small, sleek models, opt for action cameras that are either made for sports or have a much higher-quality build.
Memory and Battery
When it comes to capturing quality videos and photos, action cameras with a higher capacity battery will provide more endurance and recording capabilities. They also tend to have more storage space in their memory cards, which is essential for capturing high-quality photos.
Remote controls make it much easier to capture both photos and videos. Action cameras with a remote control feature allow you to use both hands to maneuver the camera, giving you better image quality and angle control. As an added bonus, remote controls help you avoid accidental exposure by reducing the chance of inadvertently pressing the record button.
The ability to attach an action camera with a helmet mount or a gimbal is essential for sports. Using a helmet mount is much easier because you can use your hands for other activities. On the other hand, gimbals are more stable, enabling you to capture quality video that’s free of shakes. Gimbals usually cost more than helmet mounts, so choosing carefully is important. Most action cameras have both mounting options, but you may need to purchase additional accessories if your camera doesn’t have them.
In addition to the aforementioned features, several other factors affect photo and video quality. These include automatic mode and image stabilization. Action cameras with these additional features are much easier to use because they adjust the camera settings automatically, eliminating the need for messing with manual settings to ensure that you can capture the best possible images.
What To Know Before Buying the Best Action Camera for Sports
Every person’s choice will depend largely on their needs and preferences. So, before you start shopping around for a camera, you should first decide what features and functions are most important to you. Before buying an action camera for sports, ensure you have a good idea of what you’ll be using it for.
For example, if you’re only interested in underwater recording, then you won’t need an action camera with GPS capabilities. You’d also want to consider video resolution and frame rate. If you want to see the details in your footage on a big screen, then you should get a camera with at least 1080p HD video recording capabilities, as well as some image-stabilizing features. Also, make sure you know what your chosen action camera’s picture-taking abilities are before you purchase one.
Using Action Camera for Sports: What it’s Like
Everyone can understand why action cameras for sports are such a big hit. You get to record the most exciting moments of your life and share them with others in vivid detail. You also get to relive those moments again, and again – and again. As you can see, action cameras for sports provide a great way of capturing the excitement of your active lifestyle. Whether you’re jumping in a pool, riding a bike, or engaging in an extreme sport, these cameras will help you record and share unforgettable footage.
- The 7 Best Wireless Security Cameras Available in 2022
- Canon EOS R7 vs R10: What’s the Difference?
- 35mm vs. 70mm Film: How Do They Compare?