Are you planning to buy a 4K monitor soon? Here is something you should know. First, the 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels) and1440p (2560 x 1440 pixels) monitors are incredible, but they are nothing compared to the 4K monitors, which offer four times more pixel density (3840 x 2160 pixels). Although the 1440p monitors still continue to hit that sweet spot between high resolution and affordability, 4K monitors are superlative when it comes to streaming, gaming, video editing, and much more.
A top-notch 4K monitor delivers great color accuracy, great viewing angles, fast response time, and excellent color reproduction. It displays a better image and video quality, making your movies and video games look more realistic. Additionally, its enhanced detailing makes it much easier to work on your computer tasks, such as creating or editing a spreadsheet.
Before purchasing a 4K monitor, it’s essential to understand your needs and budget. For this reason, we went the extra mile to test various 4K monitors for your convenience. Below are our recommendations for the best 4K monitors available for purchase today.
- Best overall: Dell UltraSharp U3219Q
- Best budget option: Asus VP28UQG
- Best for creative use: HP U28
- Best for gaming: Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q
- Best for graphic designers and photographers: LG Ultrafine 24MD4KL
Best Overall 4K Monitors: Dell UltraSharp U3219Q
- 3840 x 2160 Ultra HD 4K Resolution @ 60Hz
- DisplayPort (1.4), HDMI (2.0), USB Type-C Video Inputs
- 1.07 Billion Color Support
- Anti-Glare Screen
- Tilt, Swivel, Pivot Height Adjustable
The best 4k monitor that we have tested is the Dell UltraSharp U3219Q. Following in a long tradition of fine displays from Dell, the Ultrasharp U3219Q offers an incredibly fast response time and higher refresh rate, resulting in clear motion with very little blur behind fast-moving objects and no noticeable overshoot. After testing its various features, this 4K monitor was incredible in clarity and color uniformity with 95% DCI-P3 and complete sRGB covering. It is also a budget-friendly 4K monitor with an IPS display panel and 60Hz refresh rates, which is suitable for excellent performance in most games.
Dell Ultrasharp U3219Q has a thin 6mm bezel. Based on our hands-on experience, slim bezel monitors are perfect for gaming, movies, and video and photo editing because the screen looks bigger. On top of these fantastic properties, it’s easy to connect the Dell Ultrasharp U3219Q with other devices because it has HDMI and DisplayPort inputs plus a USB port.
Check out the Dell UltraSharp U3219Q on Amazon.
Best Budget Option: Asus VP28UQG
- 28 inches 4K/UHD (3840 x 2160) with 1ms response time and Adaptive Sync/AMD Free Sync for immersive, crisp visuals featuring Display Port and dual HDMI connectivity; Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 170°(H)/160°(V). HDCP : Yes
- ASUS Eye Care technology lowers blue light and eliminates flickering to reduce eyestrain and ailments. Display colors is 1073.7 M 10 bit and maximum contrast ratio is 1000 : 1. It can allow a Adaptive Sync/Free Sync supported graphics source to dynamically adjust display refresh rate based on typical content frame rates for power efficient, virtually stutter free and low latency display update
- 5 Way OSD joystick delivers intuitive monitor controls so you can access features such as ASUS Game Plus on the fly. Digital signal frequency for display port is 120 to 120 KiloHertz horizontal, 40 to 60 Hertz vertical. Hdmi signal frequency is 24 to 99 KiloHertz horizontal, 40 to 60 Hertz vertical
- Compliance and Standards EAC logo, Energy Star, BSMI, CB, CCC, CE, CEL level 1, FCC, PSB, PSE, RoHS, TCO7.0, UL/cUL, VCCI, WEEE, WHQL (Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7), RCM, TUV Flicker free , TUV Low Blue Light
- Exclusive Game Plus and Game Visual settings enhance color performance and control. ASUS Rapid Replacement 3 years warranty service. Tilt : -5 degree Plus-20 degree. Brightness(Max) : 300 cd
While testing different 4K monitors, we emphasized the budget-friendly ones with outstanding performance. That’s how we landed on the Asus VP28UQG. You can own this incredible 4K monitor for less than $300. It is a perfect monitor for gaming because of its ultra-fast 1ms response time. This affordable 4K monitor also supports AdaptiveSync and AMD FreeSync, making your gaming and movie experience incredible with seamless video playbacks at any framerates.
It has a 60Hz refresh rate suitable for casual or office use. But if you need higher refresh rates, you can use the DisplayPort to connect the monitor to your desktop to get up to 120Hz. These significant properties at such a low cost make it the best budget-friendly 4k monitor in 2022. However, from our hands-on experience, we realized some crucial properties, such as HDR support, were missing. Also, it lacks the integrated speakers that most buyers go for.
Check out the Asus VP28UQG on Amazon.
Best for Creative Use: HP U28
- A CREATOR’S DREAM - Built with an IPS Panel and HDR, this 4k monitor delivers vivid, life-like content and an ultra-broad color range
- WIDER ANGLES - Create your sharpest content yet with 178° viewing angles on a 28-inch diagonal screen, bringing more detail into focus
- OPTIMIZE CREATIVITY - Experience more freedom in your designs with factory color calibration for accurate and vivid colors you can count on right out of the box
- BETTER COLOR GAMUT - Creator-focused color presets to adjust between color spaces for specific types of content, use the Design for Web preset for web creation and switch to Design for Photography for photo editing.
- MULTIPLE PORTS - Get access to multiple ports including a DisplayPort, HDMI port, three USB 3.0 ports, a headphone jack, and a USB-CⓇ port with 65w of charging to your laptop
HP U28 is a perfect 4K monitor for creative use because its features focus more on professional work. First, it’s easier to export and import data because of its various input and output ports, including USB-C, DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 2.0, and three USB Type-A ports. It offers the OSD feature that enables you to select viewing options and set the standard display on components such as brightness, contrast, and horizontal and vertical positioning. While testing this fantastic 4K monitor, we had an easy time on our task because of its adjustable stand, and we could flip into portrait mode.
Check out HP U28 on Amazon.
Best for Gaming: Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q
- 28-inch 4K (3840x2160) IPS DCI-P3 grade gaming monitor for stunning crisp and detailed visuals
- Compatible with industry-standard HDR10 high dynamic range for color and brightness levels that exceed the capabilities of ordinary monitors
- AMD FreeSync technology to eliminate screen tearing and choppy frame rates (supports both Adaptive-sync with AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards)
- Shadow Boost technology enhances image details in dark areas brightening scenes without over-exposing bright areas
- Flexible connectivity with DisplayPort 1 2 and HDMI (v2 0) x2 and features an ergonomically designed stand with swivel tilt pivot and height adjustments
The best 4K monitor for gaming should have a fast response time and great display to make the game more realistic and avoid unnecessary lagging. Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q has a 5ms response time enabling quick display on its 28-inch screen size. Additionally, it’s well-designed for gaming with a 90% color gamut and 1073.7M (10bit).
Another crucial factor was the viewing angle created at 1780(H)/1780(V), giving excellent ergonomics. Despite having a fantastic display color and viewing positions, we experienced some stuttering and lagging on heavy games during the test. However, considering its affordable price and above-average properties, it is the best gaming 4K monitor to buy in 2022.
Check out the Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q on Amazon.
Best for Graphic Designers and Photographers: LG Ultrafine 24MD4KL
- Display Size: 23.7-inch (diagonal) 4K display with IPS technology
- Outstanding image quality
- Over 8 million pixels
If you need a 4K monitor for graphic design and photography, you should focus on high-resolution monitors such as LG Ultrafine 24MD4KL. It has 1.07 billion color support and a 1,200:1 contrast ratio enabling you to work on clear images. Our hands-on experience with this monitor was incredible because the well-designed adjustable stand provided different viewing angles, making it effortless to work on our photo editing and designing tasks.
It also has a Thunderbolt 3 port that allows 4K Daisy Chain to connect to multiple monitors, and five ports at its back panel make it easy to work with your computer devices. Additionally, it has a 98% DCI-P3 color gamut and 540 cd/m2 brightness to boost its clarity. Although it’s ideal for graphic designers and photographers, it is relatively expensive and has a thick bezel.
Check out LG Ultrafine 24MD4KL on Amazon.
How to Pick the Best 4K Monitors: Step by Step
When selecting a 4K monitor, it’s essential to understand its features and see if they match your needs and preferences. Here are 8 things to consider when choosing the best 4K monitor.
- Monitor size
- Monitor type
- Color accuracy
- Refresh rates
- Response time
- Viewing angle
- G-Sync or FreeSync
Bigger is always better, but you must have enough space for that; also it will also be more costly. Display size is usually measured diagonally, from end to end. If you’ve studied algebra or geometry at any point in your life, you can determine the height and width of your screen by using the aspect ratio provided.
When shopping for a 4K monitor, you will have to choose between three main display panel technologies. They include TN, IGZO, and IPS; each with its own unique pros and cons. Here are a few details:
- TN panel: This is recommended for beginners because of its user-friendly features and cheapness compared to other types. However, it doesn’t give excellent color accuracy in the image and video displays.
- IPS panel: This type is ideal for gaming, movies, and casual use. It has excellent color accuracy and a fast response rate.
- IGZO panels: It’s more advanced than the TN and IPS panels, giving higher image quality and fast response rates. It would be best for heavy computer tasks, but it has high power consumption.
We recommend picking a 4K monitor with an IPS panel because it delivers high color accuracy, doesn’t consume much power, and is affordable.
You should check on color accuracy to ensure you find a 4K monitor that will offer more realistic images. A 4K monitor with standard RGB is good but won’t serve better than one with sRGB covering. Therefore, go for a monitor with sRGB because it offers the best color adjustment for beautiful displays. You will also find Adobe RGB; although it has the higher color accuracy of the three, it may display images that don’t appear real. Therefore, we recommended sticking to sRGB.
You should check the refresh rates to find fast loading 4K monitors. Whether you seek a monitor for professional and casual use or gaming and movies, refresh rates are essential for the smooth display of images and videos. Go for a 4K monitor with 60Hz or more to have the best experience.
Other than refresh rates, another significant feature of a fast and smooth display for your 4K monitor is the response time. It is the duration your monitor takes for a pixel to change its colors. If your response time is low, you may suffer the ghost effect, which is usually a display issue when images can’t work in synchronization with the moving frames. To avoid such inconveniences, target a 4K monitor with a 1 to 5ms response rate.
You should check on the connectivity support of your 4K monitor before making a purchase. Some monitors may not connect to the devices you plan to use, or if it supports, it lowers the display value because of bandwidth losses or reduction of frame rates. Therefore, looking for a 4K monitor with 4K HDMI support is essential. Be sure to check that your computer device has 4K HDMI support to ensure they are compatible. Finally, check DisplayPort and USB-C port availability.
Find a 4K monitor that you can set on different angles to be comfortable while working, playing games, or watching movies. Look for an adjustable stand that can be tilted to 170 degrees or more.
G-Sync or FreeSync
G-Sync and FreeSync are vital if you seek a 4K monitor, mainly for gaming. Both technologies are designed to improve your monitor’s performance by reducing screen ghosting issues when you switch to high-performance games. Since both G-Sync developed by Nvidia and FreeSync created by AMD are perfect solutions to synchronize your 4K monitor display to a device’s graphics card output, the best will depend on your budget and the type of games you play. If you are on a tight budget, FreeSync will be a perfect choice.
What to Know Before Buying a 4K Monitor
Before buying a 4K monitor, you should understand your budget before considering other factors such as response time, color accuracy, and refresh rates. A good 4K monitor should have an sRGB standard to create a beautiful display, fast loading speeds, and avoid screen ghosting. So, ensure you get a monitor with 60Hz and above. Finally, look out for an ultra-fast 1 ms response time. It is okay to pick a 4K monitor with a response time between the range of 1 to 5 ms, but beyond that might not be ideal.
Using the 4K Monitor: What it’s Like
The best 4K monitor will show off images and video in the best light possible, with a wonderfully ergonomic design. To better understand how well these monitors worked overall, we decided to use them to have first-hand experience of their image quality, color accuracy, response time, and refresh rates. We tried filling a spreadsheet and editing various photos and videos on 24-inch, 27-inch, and 32-inch to see if there were any significant changes. Also, to test the color accuracy and the loading speeds of various 4K monitors, we played high-performance games such as The Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and Final Fantasy. Each of these 4K monitors’ features for gaming and video editing stood up well in our recommended settings. Any lags or performance issues were minimal.
Last update on 2022-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API