- The Apple Watch Ultra and Garmin GPS trackers are fierce competitors in the smartwatch industry. These two watches also compete with the Fitbit Sense 2 and the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro, which are also gaining favor in the smartwatch market.
- Garmin gives you an in-depth analysis of your sleeping routine, which you will not get with the Apple Watch. It also monitors your stress levels during workouts and gives accurate warnings to avoid health emergencies.
- Fitbit watch monitors your cardio workout routine by analyzing your heart rate. It also tracks your recovery period after a workout routine to ensure you are not stressing your body.
- With the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 pro, you will get a heart rate monitoring feature that tracks your heartbeat during workouts. It also has a thermometer, accelerometer, and gyroscope.
Are you looking for a new fitness tracker but do not know the right one to buy?
While most people may have probably heard of the Apple Watch Ultra that was recently released, there are other cool smartwatches and fitness trackers in the market. The Garmin GPS watch, the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro, and the Fitbit Sense 2 smartwatch are examples of advanced watches you can acquire today.
Continue reading if you are conflicted about buying the right fitness tracker. We’ll look into the Apple Watch Ultra, the Garmin GPS, and other fitness trackers to help you identify which watch suits you best.
Apple Watch Ultra vs. Garmin GPS and Other Fitness Trackers: Side-by-Side Comparison
|Apple Watch Ultra||Garmin GPS||Fitbit Sense||Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro|
|What it is||Smartwatch and fitness tracker||Geolocator and fitness tracker||Fitness tracker||Smartwatch and fitness tracker|
|What it does||Collects health-related data and provides navigation||Tracking fitness progress||Collecting fitness data||Fitness tracker|
|Screen size||49 x 44 x 14.4 mm||47 x 47 x 14.5 mm||40.5 x 40.5 x 11.2 mm||45.4 x 45.4 x 10.5 mm|
|Storage||32GB||16GB and 32 GB||4GB (OS only, inaccessible)||16 GB|
|Battery Life||Up to 36 hours normal, 60 hours low power||14 days normal and 87 days low power||Six days||Three days|
|Water Resistant||100m water-resistance||100m water- resistance||50m water-resistance||50m water-resistance|
|Health and Fitness Sensors||Compass, heart rate, GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, depth gauge, blood oxygen, altimeter, barometer||GPS, heart rate, compass, blood oxygen, gyroscope, barometric altimeter||Heart rate, gyroscope, temperature sensor, light sensor, altimeter, skin temperature sensor||Accelerometer, heart rate, barometer, thermometer|
|Display Resolution||502 x 410 pixels||260 x 260 pixels||336 x 336 pixels||450 x 450 pixels|
|Manufacturing Company||Apple||Garmin Ltd.||Fitbit||Samsung|
|Date of Release||September 23, 2022||January 18, 2022||August 25, 2022||August 26, 2022|
Apple Watch Ultra vs. Garmin GPS and Other Fitness Trackers: What’s the Difference?
The Apple Watch Ultra and Garmin GPS trackers are fierce competitors in the smartwatch industry. These two watches also compete with the Fitbit Sense 2 and the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro, which are also gaining favor in the smartwatch market.
So, as a potential buyer, you may want to know what sets these watches apart to ensure you acquire the right one.
Let’s explore some of their differences.
First impressions are essential when buying a product. The same analogy applies when acquiring a fitness tracker as people prefer watches with unique designs.
The Apple Watch Ultra has a cuboid design; its screen size is 49 x 44 x 14.4 mm. The watch weighs 61.3 grams without a strap. This watch also gives you the ultimate protection, especially if you are a diver, because it is water-resistant for up to 100 meters.
In contrast, the Garmin, especially the Garmin Fenix 7, has a round shape. The watch has a screen size of 47 x 47 x 14.5 mm, meaning it is slightly smaller than the Apple Watch. This watch is also lighter than the Apple Watch as it weighs 56 grams without the straps. The Garmin also offers water-resistant protection of up to 100 meters.
The Fitbit Sense 2 and the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro are other trackers you can check out in the market.
The Fitbit Sense 2 is lighter than the Apple watch because it weighs 48g. This watch is also smaller as it has a screen size of 40.5 x 40.5 x 11.2 mm. The Apple Watch Ultra edges the Fitbit Sense 2 on water-resistant protection because it only allows a 50m water dive.
The Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro has a round shape and weighs 46.5 grams. The watch has a 45.4 x 45.4 x 10.5 mm screen size, making it smaller than the Apple watch. It also offers water-resistant protection of up to 50 meters.
The Apple Watch Ultra edges the Garmin and other fitness trackers in design because the rectangular shape design is unique and offers better water-resistant protection.
- 1.2” easy-to-read color touchscreen display with interchangeable quick release bands.Control Method:Touch,Application.Special Feature:Color Touchscreen; Quick Release Bands; 42,000+ Preloaded...
- Battery life: up to 15 hours in GPS mode, and up to 10 days in smartwatch mode
- Green View feature allows manual pin positioning; quickly reference distances to the front, middle and back of the green as well as hazards and doglegs
- The AutoShot round analyzer measures and auto-records detected shot distances distances (lie and ball contact may affect shot tracking) and pairs with optional Approach CT10 club tracking sensors...
- Offers smart notifications (when paired with a compatible smartphone) and estimated activity-tracking features such as steps, sleep and built-in sports profiles
Health and Fitness Monitoring Features
Always compare the trackers’ health and fitness tracking features when looking for the best fitness tracker. Both the Apple Watch and Garmin have excellent features, but what sets them apart?
Irrespective of all fitness trackers having a heart rate monitor, which is integral for your workout, Apple Watch has taken things a notch higher. The watch has a blood oxygen monitoring feature and a skin temperature sensor, which are essential in your training.
You do not have to remove your apple watch when sleeping because it tracks your respiratory system overnight. Apple Watch also has a GPS and a compass that supports GPS navigation.
On the other hand, Garmin takes a different approach to track your sleeping routine. The watch gives you an in-depth analysis of your sleeping routine, which you will not get with the Apple Watch. It also monitors your stress levels during workouts and gives accurate warnings to avoid health emergencies.
You can also link your Garmin tracker with specific applications when playing different sports.
So, how do other fitness trackers compare to the Apple Watch Ultra?
Fitbit watches give you unique features crucial to your workout routine. For example, the Fitbit watch monitors your cardio workout routine by analyzing your heart rate. It also tracks your recovery period after a workout routine to ensure you are not stressing your body. This is an imperative feature, especially when transitioning from one workout routine to another.
The Fitbit also tracks your sleeping routine and your daily steps. It then uses these steps to calculate the average distance you cover in a day.
For the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 pro, you will get a heart rate monitoring feature that tracks your heartbeat during workouts. It also has a thermometer, accelerometer, and gyroscope.
The final verdict is that each watch has unique features that suit people differently. For instance, if you want a watch that tracks your sleep better, you should go for the Garmin. In contrast, the Apple Watch has other unique features, such as the blood oxygen monitoring sensor.
Choose a watch that helps you achieve your workout goals.
Many people love listening to music during their workouts. You need a smartwatch with adequate storage space and one that is easy to integrate with your favorite playlist.
Another thing you should consider is the watch’s music management. Check whether it is easy to navigate your playlist using your smartwatch.
The Apple Watch Ultra has 32GB storage space. The Garmin also has 32GB storage space, but you can acquire one with 16GB storage space at a lower price.
The Fitbit watch has 4GB storage space, which is very low, and the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro has 16GB storage space.
When looking at storage space, music integration, and quality, the Apple Watch Ultra is better than other fitness trackers.
Charge Time and Battery Life
Most fitness trackers may have similar charging times. However, when weighing your options, you should look at the trackers’ battery life.
The Apple Watch Ultra has a battery life of 36 hours when using it under normal situations. However, it can last up to 60 hours if you put it under the battery-saver feature.
Under normal circumstances, you will get 14 days of running time with the Garmin. However, if you switch the watch to the battery saver mode, it will last for approximately 87 days. The primary reason why Garmin has a higher battery life is that it has a solar charging feature.
You will get six days of battery life for the Fitbit watches, and the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 pro will give you three days of battery life.
The Garmin is better than the Apple Watch when looking at the battery life. The watch’s solar charging feature means you no longer have to charge it, especially if you spend most of your time outside.
Pricing is imperative when looking for the right fitness tracker to buy. You can tell if it is worth the price by looking at the design and the smart features.
For the Apple Watch Ultra, you will buy it at $799, while the Garmin costs $699.9. Other fitness trackers, such as the Fitbit Sense 2, cost 299.95, and the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 pro cost $449.
The Apple Watch Ultra is more expensive than other fitness trackers, but remember, Apple is a leading brand, and you can never go wrong with its products.
History of Apple Watch Ultra
Apple first launched its Apple watch series in 2015. The company’s primary aim was to create a watch with wireless technology and various fitness-tracking sensors.
The first Apple watch generation had fewer features, such as the heart rate feature and LED lighting. Its internal storage was also low as it had an 8GB storage capacity.
Fast forward to 2022, and the company released the Apple Watch Ultra, depicting its journey of manufacturing advanced watches. Their new smartwatch has many advanced features and is an upgrade of their past smartwatch series.
- EDA Scan app detects electrodermal activity which may indicate your body's response to stress and a built-in skin temperature sensor logs yours each night so you can see when it varies.Band Size :...
- Assess your heart for atrial fibrillation –a heart rhythm irregularity- and easily share results with your doctor (The Fitbit ECG app is only available in select countries. Not intended for use by...
- An on-wrist skin temperature sensor tracks yours each night so you can see how it varies. You can also see your nightly blood oxygen levels at a glance with our collection of clock faces.Maximum...
- High & low heart rate notifications alert you if yours seems above or below your average
- Battery lasts 6 plus days plus, fast charging gives you a full day’s charge in just 12 minutes (Varies with use and other factors; up to 12 hours with continuous GPS)
History of Garmin GPS
Garmin Ltd. launched the original Garmin Fenix series in 2012. The company’s primary aim was to target those who loved spending most of their time outdoors and doing other activities, such as mountain climbing.
The original Garmin Fenix had fewer features, such as a barometer and compass. However, the company later released the Fenix 2 model in 2014, an upgrade of their original version.
Due to the increased pressure from their rivals, Garmin Ltd. launched the Fenix 7 in 2022, which was a household name. The watch’s solar charging technology made it stand out from other fitness trackers.
History of Other Fitness Trackers
There is a rich history behind the emergence of other fitness trackers, such as the Fitbit and the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 pro.
Fitbit launched its first smartwatch aiming to create a small gadget that looks like a wristband. However, the company has changed the watch’s design and incorporated new features over the years.
The first Samsung Galaxy Watch series was launched in 2018. Samsung targeted a smartwatch that mainly offered various fitness features. In 2022, they released the Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro, an advanced smartwatch with many fitness features.
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 PRO
Apple Watch Ultra Vs. Garmin GPS and Others: 6 Must-Know Facts
- The Apple Watch Ultra must only be connected to other iPhones.
- The Apple Watch Ultra has a vibration notification feature if you receive any messages.
- You can create a workout feature with the Garmin watch.
- You should link your Garmin watch with the Garmin connect application to optimize its functions.
- Fitbit has a sleep mode feature, ensuring undisturbed sleep.
- The Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro has a Samsung-powered OS, meaning you will get Google Assistant, Samsung Pay, and Google Maps.
Apple Watch Ultra Vs. Garmin GPS and Other Fitness Trackers: Which One is Better? Which One Should You Use?
In the past, people could not easily track their fitness. However, due to modern technology, you can buy a fitness tracker that, in addition to monitoring your fitness, can play music, receive calls, and send messages.
You may wonder which fitness tracker best suits your workout needs, as most have amazing features. However, if you are willing to pay more for a fitness tracker, you should acquire the Apple Watch Ultra. It offers superior features that are unavailable on the Garmin GPS and other fitness trackers
Ultimately, you are the one to decide what features you need in your fitness tracker and the amount of money you are willing to spend on it.
- Apple Watch Series 8 vs. Apple Watch SE: Key Differences and Full Comparison: If you’re in the market for an Apple Watch – read this first!
- Fitbit Sense 2 vs Fitbit Sense: Key Differences and Full Comparison: We have compiled everything you need to know to decide between the two!
- The 10 Apple Watch Ultra’s New Features: Do the new features justify buying a new watch? Find out!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/Drazen Zigic.