Watching TV is no longer left to the traditional way of streaming because Apple and Google have introduced TVs in our living rooms. One of the major differences between the two is the technology used. Understanding the comparison should help you decide between Apple TV vs. Google TV.
With the Apple TV, you must use a set-top box to bridge the gap. You plug Apple TV into your TV using HDMI, change the inputs to Apple TV, and boom! You can access Web video apps on your lovely big TV screen. Whereas Google TV, it is software that is used by the company’s numerous affiliates.
Apple TV only offers one type of set-top box, but with Google TV, you can choose from a variety of set-top boxes such as Logitech’s Revue and a direct TV integration — like those seen on Sony’s internet TVs.
Let’s learn the difference between Apple TV and Google TV to get a comparison. Here understand the pros, cons, and features to decide which is the best between the two.
Apple TV vs. Google TV Side-by-Side Comparison:
|Apple TV||Google TV|
|What it is||Streaming service from apple||User interface running on top of Android TV|
|How to operate||Use a clicker||Use QWERTY keyboard|
|Conceived||January 9, 2007,||–|
|Initial Release||March 2007||October 6, 2010|
|Influential Developers||Apple Inc.||Intel, Sony, and Logitech.|
|The system used||tvOS||Android 3.0|
- Dolby Atmos for immersive, room-filling sound
- A12 Bionic chip gives a big boost to audio, video, and graphics, for even better game and app experiences
- 4K High Frame Rate HDR with Dolby Vision for fluid, crisp video
- Apple Original shows and movies from Apple TV+
- The latest hits from Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, and more
Apple TV vs. Google TV: Must-Know Facts
- While Google TV is software running on several devices, Apple TV is a single product.
- The remote control for Google TVs has a QWERTY keyboard, whereas Apple TVs have a clicker.
- Google TV has various options when using smartphones as remotes compared to Apple TV.
- Compared to Apple TV, Google TV offers a more extensive internet browsing experience.
- You can run apps on Google TV but can’t with an Apple TV.
Apple TV vs. Google TV: What’s the Difference?
Apple TVs: Complete History
Apple TV is a portable console and digital media player developed and marketed by Apple Inc. It has network application hardware that outputs audio and video from received media files to a television or other external display.
The TV was unveiled in 2006 bearing the name iTV. However, since there was another TV station with the right of that name, it changed to Apple TV. It started with the first generation that had a 40GB HDD. Later, they released a 160GB HDD option.
The TV has progressively improved over the years because each generation is an improvement from the previous one, for instance, when Apple inc. introduced a second model in 2010, it became HDMI-compliant and the first model to run on a variant of iOS. The 8GB internal flash storage replaced the HDD, hence the TV was then used to stream content and supported 720p output.
Later in March 2012, a third generation was released — this one has an A5 chip that supports 1080p output. Its set box works as of 2021 and streams Netflix, etc.
The company introduced the fourth generation in 2015, a significant improvement. It is known as Apple TV HD, with a remote that you can charge through the lighting cable. It has a tvOS operating system and is integrated with an App store that allows downloading third-party apps for video, games, audio, and other media.
Come 2017, Apple TV announced a TV 4K (first generation), which supports videos up to 2160p. It also supports Dolby vision, which you will find in 34 and 64GB, however, with an advanced 4k (second generation) introduction, they discontinued the 64GB one.
They noted that it is similar to the fourth generation with minimal difference. The latest generation runs the latest tvOS software, iOS 15.
What Does Apple TV Offer?
- Easy accessibility of Apple iTunes and the ability to download content
- It supports HDMI
- Ability to share pictures through flicker.com
- It doesn’t support Hula and Netflix
- It has a single micro USB port
- You can watch YouTube videos on TV.
It is built on the foundation of android TV. It supports thousands and thousands of apps. Its features are good, and it is flexible. You can do different activities like using USB-C hubs that you cannot do on Apple TV.
What Google TV Offer
- Easy access to web TV free of charge
- It has a built Google Chrome browser.
- You can access google maps
- You can use the set-top box as a DVR
- While watching TV, you can open an app and browse
- You can use your phone(s) as a remote control
- It has voice control
- It supports HDMI
- You can access third-party apps using Google TV
- Stunning 4K Ultra HD: 4K resolution delivers stunning detail and remarkable visual experience.
- High Dynamic Range: HDR delivers bright and accurate colors for a lifelike viewing experience.
- Google Assistant Built-in: Your TV is more helpful than ever. Use your voice to find movies, stream apps, play music, and control the TV. Ask Google to find a specific title, search by genre, or get...
- What you want to watch, all in one place: Choose from 700,000+ movies and shows from across your favorite apps, intelligently organized just for you. Tune into live shows, curate watchlists, and get...
- Thousands of Streaming Apps: Enjoy thousands of movies and shows available to stream including sports, news, music, kids and family, food, science and tech, fitness, foreign language and so much more...
Apple TV VS. Google TV: Which One Should You Use? Which Is Better?
When you compare what the two TVs offer, you will discover that google TV has more features. It is more user-friendly, and it can be a great choice. However, let’s look at their pros and cons on them to help you make an informed decision.
Apple TV Pros
With a 4K resolution of 3840 X 2160 pixels (UHD), the video quality in your TV is top-notch. This is one of the highest t high standards that can change your viewing experience.
Apple products are known for their elegant designs. Its compact nature can match your house preferences.
When connected to your TV, it can stream different programs. Additionally, since it has airplay, you can stream YouTube videos effortlessly.
Apple TV Cons
It is expensive
An Apple TV plus yearly subscription costs more than 200 dollars, however, the same amount you can use to buy a smart TV where you don’t need any subscription.
It relies on Apple products
It streams most of the programs from the Apple ecosystem. That means if you are using an android TV or smart TV, it is not that useful.
It doesn’t support most USB ports. That makes it hard to support video and audio options. Streaming devices don’t have upgrades, thus, you have to wait until another launch is done to enjoy an upgrade.
It is just an app
With a smart TV or Google TV, you can watch most channels without paying for a subscription. Though Apple TV may make the user experience beautiful due to its clarity, you can do without it.
Google TV Pros
All in one place
It has a TV live Tab that allows you to stream the most active programs like YouTube on one screen. That allows the user to save time instead of moving from one app to another.
It offers diversity in content since it provides access to multiple apps and services. You can create multiple profiles with one account, allowing several users to have their own personalized experiences.
You can control your TV using a Google TV app and have smart home controls for your lights and cameras.
Some TVs need a google account to operate the TV.
Apple TV vs. Google TV, the pros and cons highlight what you need to consider when deciding which TV to settle on, but Google TV is the ideal choice based on the research, pros, cons, usability, and diversity.
Interested in finding out how more Apple products measure up against their competitors’? Click the links below:
- Apple Music vs Spotify: Full Comparison: They’re both two of the most popular music streaming options and cost the same too. So which should you choose? We examine their features and the options they provide to enable you to make an informed choice.
- Echo Buds vs Pixel Buds: Which Is Better? They come right behind Apple’s Airpods in terms of popularity. Find out how these wireless ear buds measure up against each other.
- Apple vs. Tesla Electric Car: Apple Car Preferred Over Tesla by EV Buyers in New Survey: The buying public are the final authenticating link in just how successful a product is likely to be. Find out why they seem to be leaning towards the former option as opposed to the latter.