- Both Apple Music and Spotify have a free, three-month trial option, and a $10 dollar montly fee; however the former’s family plan costs $15 while the latter’s costs $16.
- Users of Spotify can exchange songs on any device; Apple Music does provide any of these services to its users.
- However, users of Apple Music will enjoy a superior experience compared to those who prefer Spotify.
For music streaming, Spotify and Apple Music are the two most popular options. It’s difficult to tell which one is ideal for you since they all have the same monthly amount ($10, or AU$12). A lossless and spatial audio solution is what you need. Many people recommend Apple Music, but if you are interested in an automobile music player that can play your favorite podcasts, Spotify is the way to go.
When it comes to making a decision, your listening style plays a role. Smart speaker compatibility is essential if you’re listening to music at home, but music discovery and stream quality may be just as crucial (if not more) for music fans.
You may access your music collection, a streaming service, and a global live radio station in one app. As long as you have a subscription to Apple Music, you may stream any music you want.
With over 180 million paying customers and an impressive feature set, Spotify has long been the undisputed king of music streaming. It’s the most extensively used music streaming service with a broad selection of songs accessible at a low cost.
In terms of ease of use, pricing, and availability, both Spotify and Apple Music are comparable, and both come with basic controls, features, and a large range of choices for searching and making playlists. Both apps can even play music when no service or Wi-Fi is available.
As a result, Spotify is more appealing to many people than Apple Music since it has a free, ad-supported tier. Also, it’s globally supported and frequently the first service to be included in streaming apps, so it’s quite simple to acquire access to.
On the other side, Apple Music provides a superior quality of music and makes it simpler to add on your own.
Apple Music vs Spotify: Side-by-Side Comparison
|$10 a month ($5 for students)
|$10 a month ($5 for students)
|Yes, up to six people ($16)
|Yes, up to six people ($15)
|No, only Beats1 radio
|Depends on the platform: 256Kbps AAC (Premium) or 128Kbps AAC (free) on web player; up to 320Kbps (Premium) or 160Kbps (free) on desktop, mobile and tablet.
|Lossless audio and Dolby Atmos spatial audio from June 2021, 256Kbps AAC
|Over 70 million songs, 2.6 million podcasts
|Over 75 million songs
Apple Music vs Spotify: What’s the Difference?
Apple Music is a music streaming service that offers access to more than 60 million tracks, podcasts, and artists with a monthly subscription. Apple Music was launched in 2015 to give its customers the highest possible music and streaming quality. Since it’s part of the Apple ecosystem, Apple Music is best used in conjunction with the company’s other products.
Over 90 million songs are available on Apple Music. The music you’ve purchased, such as from iTunes, may be combined with music you’ve already stored in your Apple Music collection and music you’ve heard through ad-free streaming from Apple’s cloud services. In addition to music videos, the collection includes some unique material from a restricted number of artists.
Additionally, Apple Music supports Hi-Res Lossless and Lossless streaming, which requires more sophisticated equipment, such as an external DAC. Apple Music is also able to play Dolby Atmos-enabled mixes. Use the Apple Songs 1 radio channel to help you find new music.
|It is possible to download music one by one.
|There’s no global connection function.
|Downloaded music is organized in a separate section.
|In playlists, you can’t search.
|Improved library administration is needed (though this is subjective)
|Playlists cannot be sorted.
|Streaming music might take a long time to begin at times.
180 million of Spotify’s 400 million customers pay for the service. Spotify’s free tier, which restricts music quality and runs advertisements every few songs, is used by most subscribers. Using Spotify Connect or downloading music is also restricted on the free tier, so many people choose to pay for it.
To use Spotify on your PC, you’ll need to upload your bought songs manually. If you upgrade to the Premium edition, you’ll have access to all your music even when you’re not connected to the internet. Spotify has just begun to provide podcasts in addition to music.
Both Chromecast and Spotify Connect, which let you use the service via compatible speakers, are included within Spotify. On the Premium tier, Siri can access Spotify and interface with Amazon Echo and Garmin devices.
These were some common similarities and differences between the two apps narrowed down.
|Sharing the Joy of Music
|Audio advertising must be heard by non-paying members.
|Purchase or Download Audiobooks
|Free users get low sound quality.
|The ability to work across various platforms
|Never really own Spotify music.
|Spotify has a massive music library with several subscription options.
|No lyrics feature
Apple Music vs Spotify: Six Must-Know Facts
- Free music streaming is not available on Apple Music, although it is available on Spotify.
- In contrast to Apple Music, a limited ecosystem with few features, Spotify promotes the careers of up-and-coming musicians by showcasing their work.
- In contrast to Spotify, which pays 0.006 cents per stream, Apple Music pays 0.012 cents to the artist for each stream.
- One of Spotify’s unique features, dubbed Spotify connect, enables users to swap songs on any device and even use a phone as a remote control. Apple Music does not have any of these capabilities.
- Apple Music does not have a feature called DISCOVER WEEKLY, which is a weekly playlist that Spotify creates for each user based on their historical listening habits.
- Due to its auto-download and other capabilities, Apple Music offline listening is superior to Spotify offline listening.
Difference in Prices
While Apple Music’s free radio service is available without a subscription, there are other subscription choices if you’d want to enjoy its other services.
- Users pay £9.99 or $9.99 per month.
- It costs $14.99 a month for a family of six to use this service.
- £99.99 annually or $99.99 annually
- Students pay $4.99 per month or £4.99 per month.
- a Voice Plan for £4.99/month (about $4.99).
Naturally, some packages include Apple Music if you’re an Apple One subscriber. One method to save money is to take advantage of Apple’s other subscription services.
Ads are included in Spotify’s free tier; however, not all features are accessible. Here’s how much your monthly membership will cost for all of Spotify’s perks:
- The Premium tier is £9.99/month (or $9.99/month) per user.
- For a family of six, this service costs $14.99 per month or $14.99 per month (have to live at the same address.)
- Students pay $4.99 per month or £4.99 per month.
- ‘Duo’ costs $12.99/month or $11.99/month (two premium accounts at the same address.)
Both Spotify and Apple Music are comparable in terms of ease of use, pricing, and availability. Both come with basic controls and many choices for searching and making playlists. Both devices can even play music when no service or Wi-Fi is available.
As a result, Spotify is more appealing to many people than Apple Music since it has a free, ad-supported tier. Also, it’s globally supported and frequently the first service to be included in streaming devices, so it’s quite simple to acquire access to. On the other side, Apple Music provides a superior quality of music and makes it simpler to add your own.
Both services have advantages and disadvantages, but in the end, we use them both and have a good time with them – but if you’re going to pay for it, you need to think about what kind of music you like and how you want to listen to it.
Interested in any other riveting comparisons? Read some of our favorite articles in this category, below:
- Oculus Quest 2 vs HTC Vive Pro 2: Which is Better? One is a standalone device and the other, a tethered appliance. They both require different hardware too. Find out which option is the best for you.
- S22+ vs S22 ultra: Which One is Better? They both feature awesome power, combined with the ability to withstand wear and tear. But which one is the better option?
- Sono Sion vs Tesla Model X: How They Compare and What You Need to Know: Which model is more powerful, comes with greater top speed, is less pricier? Click on the link to find out.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©nikkimeel/Shutterstock.com.