Airpods are trendy. People wear AirPods everywhere from the streets to the subways and even in the gym. While Apple has improved with each generation, they are not waterproof. If you love the freedom wireless earbuds bring to the table but need waterproof earbuds, we have something for you.
Earbuds don’t function underwater.
However, the best waterproof earbuds allow you to enjoy your music around the pool, in the gym, or if caught in a downpour:
- Best Overall: Jabra Elite 7 Active Wireless Earbuds
- Most Durable: Jaybird Vista 2 Sport True Wireless Sport Earbuds
- Best for Audiophiles: Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay E8 Sport
- Best for Bass: JBL Reflect Flow Pro+ Sports Earbuds
- Best Budget: TOZO T6 True Wireless Earbuds
|Jabra Elite Active 7
|Jaybird Vista 2
|Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay E8 Sport
|JBL Reflect Flow
Best Overall: Jabra Elite 7 Active Wireless Earbuds
- FREE YOUR WORKOUT – When you’re working up a sweat, Elite 7 Active stay comfortably in place; With our unique ShakeGrip technology along with being IP57 water and sweatproof, these earbuds are...
- INTELLIGENT NOISE CONTROL – Choose your preferred levels of immersion or awareness for your workout with adjustable ANC and HearThrough technology - only hear what you want to hear
- CRYSTAL-CLEAR CALLS – Whether you’re working out or working on that big deadline, Elite 7 Active offers amazing clarity; With 4 microphones and covered with fine SAATI Acoustex mesh for wind...
- MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE – Personalization options and 6 mm speakers for a powerful sound - use just one bud with Mono Mode - each offers up to 8 hours battery and 30 hrs with the case
- MY SOUND IS YOUR SOUND – Our latest pioneering technology tests your hearing in the Jabra Sound app, and tailors your music to suit your individual hearing profile; My Sound makes the music you love...
Jabra has produced audio equipment and wireless earbuds since the 80s, and is one of a handful of companies with multiple waterproof earbuds on the market. The Jabra Elite 7 Active Wireless Earbuds is our top choice, and it provides the best balance of protection and clarity for damp environments.
Four microphones combined with the company’s SAATI Acoustex mesh give you clarity in various conditions. Wind won’t drown things out during calls, while HearThrough allows some of the outside worlds in. The 6mm drivers are adjustable through the Jabra Sound+ app and have Bluetooth Multipoint functionality.
These earbuds have IP57 protection with a smaller fit than the 75t and tactile, not touch, controls. Battery life is outstanding at 8 hours per charge, and the case adds another 30 hours. The company didn’t mention recharging times on the case or earbuds, but battery life certainly won’t be an issue with the Jabra Elite 7 Actives.
There’s a lot to like about the Jabra Elite 7, from the ShakeGrip rubber to the fact they have Alexa built-in. It doesn’t have the same level of water protection as the Jaybird Vista but has a similar array of features and better battery life. A range of colors is available with these earbuds. So, you can choose from two-tone colors and mint instead of traditional Black.
- Fantastic battery life
- Customizable settings
- Bluetooth Multipoint
- Built-in Alexa
- Mediocre case
Check out the Jabra Elite 7 Active Wireless Earbuds on Amazon.
Most Durable: Jaybird Vista 2 Sport True Wireless Sport Earbuds
- Active Noise Cancelation cuts out background noise
- Includes 3 sizes of interchangeable ear gels. If the size of the earbud tips do not fit properly, change the earbud tips to ones that fit snugly in your ears to obtain the correct sound quality and call performance.
- Surround Sense keeps you connected and aware of your surroundings
- Wind-guarded mics monitor ambient noise so you can stay spatially aware without missing a beat
- IP68 waterproof, sweatproof, and dustproof, with MIL-STD 810G freeze, shock, and impact resistance
When shopping for wireless earbuds for outdoor activities, you want something that can go the extra mile like the Jaybird Vista 2 Sport True Wireless Sport Earbuds which lives up to MIL-STD 810G standards.
The Vista 2 Sport earbuds are guaranteed to withstand environmental conditions that would destroy other headphones. They are shockproof, resistant to freezing rain and can withstand temperature swings. They are hard to break and have IP68 certification as well. While the Vista 2 Sports won’t work underwater, you don’t have to worry about wearing them around the pool or rinsing them off after an outdoor excursion.
Audio quality is excellent on these earbuds. They have 6mm drivers and customizable EQ profiles. Touch-based controls allow you to make or take calls with a tap, and the charging case is just as waterproof as the earbuds. The case also charges wirelessly with a quick charge feature that provides an hour of playback from a 5-minute charge.
Because of its solid build, Jaybird Vista 2 Sport is hands down one of the best waterproof earbuds for the outdoors. This set of earbuds is also reasonably priced, provides great sound, has an excellent battery life, and offers features like SurroundSense pass-through. The one knock against them is the charging case, which doesn’t have nearly as much power as comparable models.
- Military-grade durability
- Wireless charging case
- Customizable EQ profiles
- Active noise cancellation
Check out the Jaybird Vista 2 Sport True Wireless Sport Earbuds on Amazon.
Best for Audiophiles: Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay E8 Sport
- IP57 waterproofing so you don't have to worry about heavy rain or sweat
- 7 hours of playtime from the earphones and an additional three charges in the case.
- The redesigned charging case has been optimized for high performance so you can take Beoplay E8 Sport easily with you all day and charge them on the go
- With 4 microphones, E8 Sport will provide significantly better call clarity – using a solution where the microphones are focusing on the voice
Bang & Olufsen is a luxury brand in the audio world and probably the last company you’d think of when shopping for waterproof earbuds. Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay E8 Sport earbuds are IP58 certified against H2O with audio quality that puts other sporty models to shame.
The Beoplay E8 Sport case and earbuds have a distinct style but are comfortable by all accounts. Touch-based controls allow you to change tracks, adjust the volume or take calls. Each earbud has two microphones but no ANC, which may come as a disappointment to some. Most consumers found call clarity and audio quality excellent, however.
Battery life is in the middle of the pack with these waterproof earbuds. The case has 21 hours of power, while the earbuds will run for 7 hours before needing to be recharged. The wireless charging case is also speedy. As you’d expect, you can fine-tune the audio on these headphones and access custom profiles through the Bang & Olufsen mobile app.
This is a fantastic option if you want earbuds that can withstand water and sound as good as they look. The Bang & Olufsen Beoplay E8 Sport is available in three colors Mint, Black, and a mix of Anthracite and Oxygen Blue.
- The audio quality
- Customizable sound profiles
- Excellent warranty
- Wireless charging case
- No ANC
Check out the Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay E8 Sport on Amazon.
Best for Bass: JBL Reflect Flow Pro+ Sports Earbuds
- NOISE CANCELLING: Adaptive Noise Cancelling in these wireless earbuds adjusts automatically or via the JBL Headphones App to control distractions and stimulate motivation. Smart Ambient helps you feel...
- Product Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call...
- JBL SIGNATURE SOUND: Thes Bluetooth earbuds sound as good as they look, utilizing 6.8mm dynamic drivers to deliver incredible JBL Signature Sound whether you're in your office or crushing your workout...
- 6 MICROPHONES FOR PERFECT CALLS: Never worry about your voice dropping out when you're outside, in a crowd, or running on a breezy day. 2 beamforming mics plus a third for wind suppression on each bud...
- WATEPROOF AND DUSTPROOF: Extreme IP68 water and dustproofing means workouts on land are no sweat in any weather or conditions -- but so is surfing with your JBL Reflect Pro earbuds, or rinsing them...
Are you looking for waterproof headphones with a bit more bass? The JBL Reflect Flow Pro+ Sports Earbuds should be on your shopping list. JBL used 6.8mm dynamic drivers in these earbuds, which have a rating of IP68.
They fit a wide variety of ear types thanks to a set of four POWERFIN stabilizers and three ear tips. The Reflect Flo Pro+ Sports will stay in place whether you’re jogging down the beach or lounging by the pool and they have more power than other waterproof earbuds.
These earbuds have an impressive battery life, roughly 10 hours per charge. You’ll get an additional 10 to 20 hours from the charging case, which is Qi-compatible for wireless charging. The charging case adds 30 hours of battery life to these earbuds, which last 10 hours before recharging. Adaptive noise canceling is also an option, along with Smart Ambient mode.
JBL produced a pair of earbuds that look good, won’t fall out and are ideal for people that love bass-heavy music. While noise-canceling could be better, the extra bass and battery life have made the JBL Reflect Flow Pro+ earbuds fan favorites.
- 10 hours per charge
- Punchy bass
- POWERFIN system
- JBL Headphones app
- No multipoint
Check out the JBL Reflect Flow Pro+ Sports Earbuds on Amazon.
Best Budget: TOZO T6 True Wireless Earbuds
- Specific touch control function
- Advanced Bluetooth 5.3 technology
- IPX8 rating (waterproof up to 1 meter deep for 30 minutes)
- 10-hour battery life on a single charge
TOZO is a brand best associated with budget-friendly tech, including chargers, power banks, and earbuds. The best waterproof earbuds from the company are the popular TOZO T6, an affordable alternative to the AirPods and other options on our list.
TOZO’s earbuds have a sleek design with touch controls on each earbud. They are rated IPX8 against water with a special nano-coating to keep sweat and moisture at bay. While these earbuds do not have active noise cancellation or software-based equalizers, they have Bluetooth 5.3 and quick charging capabilities.
TOZO claims that T6 case has 30 hours of battery power. You can recharge the case in only 55 minutes with a wall charger or 2 hours through Qi wireless charging. The earbuds are good for around 6 hours of playback before the battery runs dry.
There are better options if you want to listen to Beethoven while running or need ANC, but it’s hard to argue with the TOZO T6 headphone price. We like that they have the latest form of Bluetooth. These earbuds come in six different colors, from Black to Rose Gold.
- The price tag
- Bluetooth 5.3
- Variety of colors
- Wireless charging case
- Lack of ANC
Check out the TOZO T6 True Wireless Earbuds on Amazon.
How to Find the Best Waterproof Earbuds
Let’s this out of the way first. No earbuds are designed for underwater use. Bluetooth and water don’t work well together, which makes connectivity challenging to say the least.
Waterproof earbuds aren’t made for swimming pools or divers, but they are a great choice for those relaxing around pools or hot tubs. You can get these earbuds wet and rinse them off, you just can’t take them underwater despite the name.
- Water Resistance
- Battery Life & Charging Times
Water Resistance Ratings
Battery life and audio quality are key when shopping for the best wireless headphones. With waterproof earbuds, you’ll need to look at the IP rating before considering anything else.
The Ingress protection code, or IP code, is a designation set by the International Electrotechnical Commission. It shows how much casings or enclosures can stand up against water or dust. The first digit in the IP rating is for dust and particulates, and the second represents water.
Headphones rated IPX3 would have protection against spraying water, while IPX4 earbuds like the AirPods keep them safe against splashing water. The higher the number, the more protection a device has against water.
IP68 is typically the highest waterproof rating found on general consumer goods. It’s the rating of the Galaxy S22 Ultra, which is fully submersible in freshwater. Some earbuds have that level of protection, but again, traditional Bluetooth headphones don’t work underwater.
Also, consider usage when thinking about the waterproof rating on earbuds. If you only plan to use them in the gym, you can get by with something resistant to sweat. For outdoor usage or runs in the rain, you’ll want earbuds with IPX8 protection.
Battery Life & Charging Times
Early versions of wireless headphones gave consumers a short leash with battery life. Thanks to technological advances, that’s changed significantly, but you still won’t find a set of earbuds you can wear for 24 hours straight.
We found that, on average, most wireless earbuds will go from 4 to 10 hours per charge. The number will vary depending on usage and which features are active. When earbuds run out of juice, you can recharge them in the case, which doubles as a small power bank for the headphones.
The battery life on the best waterproof headphones is comparable, but their charging cases are different. Some cases provide more than 20 hours of extra power while others top out at around 10 hours. How quickly you can recharge the case depends on the charging method – wired or wireless.
You won’t find as many features on waterproof earbuds as you would with ones designed for audiophiles, but there are some noteworthy additions like Qi-compatible charging cases. One of the rarest is called Bluetooth Multipoint, and it’s well worth it if you use the earbuds with multiple devices.
Multipoint pairing allows you to connect a pair of earbuds to two devices at once simultaneously without having to switch connections. It’s a premium feature in this class, and ANC is a close second. ANC or active noise cancellation uses a circuit to help remove unwanted background noise. It helps with call clarity, and is why you see earbuds with multiple microphones in each bud.
Equalizer apps are a more common feature. They are available through mobile apps and allow users to set or access custom sound profiles. Controls aren’t your typical feature, although we found models with tactile or touch-based controls.
A solid warranty is always a great idea when buying an expensive piece of tech, and it’s even more important with devices deemed as “waterproof.” It’s also where you’ll want to read the fine print, regardless of how long the company’s warranty is.
The average warranty covers manufacturer defects and malfunctions over time. It doesn’t cover user neglect, which can happen if you use these earbuds completely underwater. Even if the headphones are IP68 rated, you should still check to see the type of coverage provided.
Using Waterproof Earbuds: What’s it Like?
If you have never used waterproof earbuds, you will be glad to know there isn’t a world of difference between this style and other types of wireless earbuds. They function in the same fashion but are more resistant to the elements.
To pair these devices to your smartphone or another device, you just need to turn on Bluetooth and follow the prompts. You may have to download an app to access certain features, but most Bluetooth buds are easy to pair out of the box.
Whenever the battery gets low, put the earbuds back into the charging case for a recharge. Some cases have quick charging capabilities, although you typically need to wait a few hours for the earbuds to charge fully.
Check out some of these awesome articles:
- How to Convert HEIC to JPG in 4 Steps
- How To Convert PDF To Word
- Learn How to Transfer Files from iPhone to iPhone Effectively
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Prostock-studio/Shutterstock.com.