- A good racing drone combines speed and maneuverability while providing stability and good power output.
- A lighter drone generally goes faster while requiring less power to fly. A heavier drone can take more damage without crashing as easily. This allows racers more time to react if something happens and lets them keep their drones running for longer periods of time.
- A good drone has quality flight controls and a stable base that allows you to adjust your flying style as needed.
- Power is another very important aspect of racing drones simply because of how much power it takes to fly your drone at high speeds.
- The last-place racer at every race generally has a lower flight time than everybody else, which ultimately results in them finishing behind everybody else.
Drone enthusiasts are constantly on the hunt for the best drones for racing. While some pretty interesting drones are on the market, not all feature what a racer needs. When choosing a drone for racing, there are some key factors to consider. A good drone combines speed and maneuverability while providing stability and good power output. We did some sleuthing, keeping these factors in mind. And the results are out.
Just take a look at our roundup of the 5 best drones for racing:
- Best Overall: DJI Mavic 2 Pro
- Best for Speed: ImmersionRC Vortex 180 Racing Quadcopter Drone Almost-Ready-to-Fly (International Version)
- Best Design: Walkera Classical F210 3D Racing Quadcopter with DEVO 7 Transmitter
- Best for Immersive Experience: VTI FPV Duo Camera Racing Drone
- Best Budget Friendly: Holy Stone HS420 Mini Drone with HD FPV Camera
1. Best Overall: DJI Mavic 2 Pro
DJI has been one of the leading names in drone manufacturing for years. If you’re looking for a high-quality drone, start with DJI Mavic 2 Pro.
Of course, quality comes at a price. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro costs $2,599.00, which will probably price out everyone but serious hobbyists and those who use drones for professional photography. Our choice for the Overall Best has a maximum flight time of 31 minutes and a top speed of 20 m/s. Its maximum flight distance is 8 km. Plus, it has obstacle avoidance sensors on all sides to help prevent in-flight collisions.
This drone is no toy. It’s a solid flying machine that weighs in a 907g, so you’ll need a larger case or backpack for transportation and storage. It features a Hasselblad camera with a 1″ sensor and an adjustable aperture of f/2.8 to f/11 so you can capture stunning 4K video at up to 30 fps and 20-megapixel photos.
Check out the DJI Mavic 2 Pro on Amazon.
2. Best for Speed: ImmersionRC Vortex 180 Racing Quadcopter Drone Almost-Ready-to-Fly (International Version)
- 1x Vortex 180 Mini Race Quad, Fully assembled and flight-tested
- 2x ImmersionRC Branded battery straps (Installed)
- 1x SpiroNET Omni 5.8GHz antenna (Stubby, v2)
- 3 Interface Cable(1xPPM, 1xSpektrum, 1xSBus)
- 8x HQ 4" 2-Blade Props
The ImmersionRC Vortex 180 Racing Quadcopter Drone Almost-Ready-to-Fly (International Version) was made by drone racers for the drone racing community. This drone features an FPV feed, 5G-16G 40CH VTX, and DSHOT 1200. If you are looking for an easy-to-use quad that can perform stunning aerial acrobatics and 1080p/60fps HD streaming capabilities, then the EMAX Hawk Pro is the perfect fit.
These features are perfect for any drone racer who wants to practice and perfect their aerial maneuvers. The EMAX Hawk Pro also features a modular and repairable frame. This is perfect for those that want the option to crash or correct any damage to the drone. The EMAX Hawk Pro provides the racer with a fully featured drone for an affordable price.
The EMAX Hawk Pro is an all-in-one quad that beginners and experienced drone racers alike can use. It has a wide flight control range, which is essential for all racing drones. If you want a drone that’s first off the blocks, then the EMAX Hawk Pro is the best option out there.
Check out the ImmersionRC Vortex 180 Racing Quadcopter Drone Almost-Ready-to-Fly (International Version) on Amazon.
3. Best Design: Walkera Classical F210 3D Racing Quadcopter with DEVO 7 Transmitter
- 【Powerful Motor Design】: With brushless motor plus guard landing cushion frame design, the F210 passed various rigorous reliability tests, which guarantee the racer's high quality and safe flight.
- 【Night vision HD Camera】: The camera has one million pixels, high-definition night vision lens and high-performance sensors, its photosensitive sensors can automatically adjust according to the brightness of light.
- 【SP Racing F3 Flight Controller】: F210 is safe and anti-crash, easy to install and disassemble. With the latest F3 flight system, the professional speed controller and 5.8G image transmission, the players set the speed freely according to their needs.
- 【Futaba Receiver Supported】: The stand-alone package comes with Futaba receiver which support binding with your own Futaba transmitter easily.
- 【FPV Goggle Support】: Ultra-long transmission range, real-time obtain the flight status and flight data, transmission distance over meters, even in the FPV flight, the screen effects is very smooth
The Walkera Classical F210 3D Racing Quadcopter with DEVO 7 Transmitter racing drone is the third best in the market due to its great design. It has an excellent power-to-weight ratio and a very fast response time.
With each of these aspects considered, the Walkera F210 has a fair amount of speed at 100+mph but also has good maneuverability, which leads to better control. The power output is also excellent since it can handle winds up to 10m/s.
The drone features a DEVO 7 transmitter that provides an HD camera, OSD, 5.8G FPV, and F3 Cleanflight flight controller to make it easy for the pilot to get a professional level flight and assist with camera roll stabilization.
The F210 also has an exceptional aerodynamic design and very good stability. Combined with the fact that it can carry up to 1 pound, these two factors allow this racer to go for those extra fast laps.
The frame of the Walkera F210 is made from high-quality carbon fiber, which makes it very durable and lightweight at the same time. The F210 has been designed from the start to be a drone for racing. Its sleek design and aerodynamic features make it very stable and responsive.
Its speed is unmatched, as well as its maneuverability. The F210 Racing Drone comes with a high-quality transmitter with adjustable controls for left and right stick control of the drone’s heading. It also has an HD camera that streams to your smartphone or tablet while in flight.
Check out the Walkera Classical F210 3D Racing Quadcopter with DEVO 7 Transmitter on Amazon.
4. Best for Immersive Experience: VTI FPV Duo Camera Racing Drone
- Features a high-quality 720p HD camera that allows you to see the world from your drone's perspective.
- First-person immersion goggles (FPV) provide an immersive experience
- Impressive 28-minute flight time
- Explore a wide range at high speed without worrying about disconnecting
VTI FPV Duo Camera Racing Drone features a high-quality 720p HD camera so you can have a bird’s-eye view of the world. First-person immersion goggles (FPV) further enhance the immersive experience.
This racing drone has an impressively long 3,200-foot flight range so you can fly at high speed without feeling tethered. Couple that with 28 minutes of flight time on a single charge. The controls are easy to use and the drone features auto-hover technology so you won’t have to struggle to keep your drone stable.
Check out the VTI FPV Duo Camera Racing Drone on Amazon.
5. Best Budget Friendly: Holy Stone HS420 Mini Drone with HD FPV Camera
- This budget drone features 360° flip, high-speed rotation, speed adjustment, and auto landing.
- Another fun feature: You can toss it to launch
- Perfect for novices and experienced drone pilots
- 720P HD FPV camera
- Runs on two modular batteries
Holy Stone HS420 Mini Drone with HD FPV Camera is a snazzy, red, pocket-sized quadcopter drone that features straight-forward operation such as one-key start and altitude. You can toss it to launch it, plus it can perform a variety of high-maneuverability stunts like 3D flip, circle fly, and high-speed rotation. You can create a custom flight path through the system’s APP and the drone will follow what you drew.
This portable drone is equipped with a 720P HD FPV camera with an adjustable angle so you can capture high-quality video and clear photos by using specific gestures.
Check out the Holy Stone HS420 Mini Drone with HD FPV Camera on Amazon.
How To Pick The Best Drones For Racing: Step by Step
Choosing a drone for racing can be very difficult, especially if you don’t know much about the subject. This can lead to overspending, choosing the wrong drone, or buying a cheap knockoff. By following the main considerations below, you’ll be able to pick the perfect drone for racing without spending too much time searching.
- Flight Time
Let’s detail each.
Weight can be a big factor when it comes to racing with drones. A lighter drone generally goes faster while requiring less power to fly. This is important because it allows racers to use cheaper batteries, saving money in the long run.
On the other hand, a heavier drone may mean that it can take more damage without crashing as easily. This allows racers more time to react if something happens and lets them keep their drones running for longer periods of time.
A good drone for racing should have a stable and easy-to-control flying style. If a drone cannot hover, you will have to spend time trying to learn how to hover it. This can be very dangerous and even result in the loss of your drone.
A good drone has quality flight controls and a stable base that allows you to adjust your flying style as needed. These characteristics are vital if you plan on using the drone for racing in real life outside of the FPV sim-racing world.
Speed is arguably the most important factor when it comes to drones. The drone with the highest top speed will always be able to finish its race first. This makes speed such an important characteristic, especially in a world where every millisecond counts.
Drones with poor speed ratings may not be able to complete more advanced courses, which can negatively affect their overall score and ranking. If you are looking for a high-end drone to help you win races, then make sure you find one with an excellent top speed rating.
Power is another very important aspect of racing drones simply because of how much power it takes to fly your drone at high speeds. If you have a small power supply on your drone, you will not be able to fly at speeds other drone racers can. This can lower your overall ranking and score, which is not what you want when racing against other competitors.
The fifth important factor in choosing a drone for racing is flight time. To win races, your drone must have a decent flight time so that you can finish your race without having to worry about losing battery power. If you waste too much time trying to find a charging station, then your drone will not be able to complete the entire track.
The last-place racer at every race generally has a lower flight time than everybody else, which ultimately results in them finishing behind everybody else. If you want to avoid this embarrassing fate, ensure that your drone has a good flight time.
Last but not least, you want to consider the price of your drone. With racing drones, you get what you pay for. A good drone for racing should provide you with all the necessary features for a safe and successful race.
Do not buy a drone that does not have the features that you need, so you won’t feel shortchanged. Ultimately, your budget will determine which drones are available to you. So, think about how much money a high-end racing drone would cost before you make a purchase.
As you can see, there are a lot of different factors that go into choosing the best drones for racing. It may take a while to find out which drone is perfect for your specific needs, but once you do, it will be well worth the effort. The drones on this list are some of the best in features and pricing, making them perfect for anybody interested in Drone racing.
What To Know Before Buying Drones For Racing
When people buy racing drones, they want something that allows them to make the most use of it. A high-performance drone will be able to fly for a long time and deliver the most power without any signs of damage.
You also want something easy to operate to focus on your sporting career rather than the drone you are using. In some cases, you may want something lighter and easier to carry around. These are all important factors to consider before buying a drone for racing.
Using Drones For Racing: What it’s Like
Using drones for racing makes a lot of sense. Aside from being a great hobby, they can make you the best racer you can be. When you own your own racing drone, you will have the freedom to use it whenever you want, which will make practicing a lot easier.
You also won’t have to worry about other people using drones for racing as there is virtually no risk of injury. In addition, drones for racing can hit top speeds with little effort on your part. This makes them ideal for training, so you are always ready for the next race.
- DJI Mavic Mini 3 Pro: Reviewed for 2022 and Best Deals: Go in depth with the DJI Mavic Mini! We reviewed it and found the best places to buy!
- The Best 6 First-Person Drones with VR Headsets: You can experience drone flight virtually with these FPV drones!
- How to Cancel Your Planet Fitness Membership in 3 Steps: Are you spending all of your time outdoors with your drone? Waisting $10 a month on a never-ending Planet Fitness membership? Cancel it now with our help.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©VY Media/Shutterstock.com.