- Intelligent tracking, obstacle sensing, and a flight time of 34 minutes are just a few features which make the DJI Mavic Air 2 ideal for beginners. The drone also comes with a maximum speed of 42 – 50mph.
- The Walkers F210 3D is even faster with a maximum speed of 55mph. It also comes with a one million-pixel camera, high performance sensors, and the latest F3 flight system.
- Although it is ideal for professionals, the Autel EVO lite has a somewhat more modest speed of 30mph. It also comes with three-way Obstacle Avoidance and a maximum flight time of 40 minutes.
Drones are fun to watch and even more fun to own because it gives you better access to fly at will constantly. It is undeniable that drones are the next best thing to capture unique camera angles or get up to speed with the actions. However, not all of them are made for exceptional performance.
If you aim to enter a drone racing competition or use it to capture fast pace activities, you need one built for speed. Features such as durability, flexibility, powerful motors, light frames, and so on have become the focus of drone producers rather than the usual camera and appearance.
With the surge in the popularity of speedy drones, picking one can be tricky. We reviewed a dozen drones and are happy to present the top 5 fastest drones available to buy in different categories.
- Fastest overall: DJI Mavic Air 2
- Best budget option: ARRIS X-Speed 250B
- Best travel choice: Autel Evo Lite+
- Most durable: Walkers F210 3D
Fastest Overall: DJI Mavic Air 2
- Battery life provides up to 34 minutes of flight time
- 4K/60fps Video and 48MP Images
- FHD 1080p resolution livestream
- The DJI Fly app requires iOS 10.0 and later or Android 6.0 and later
- Forward, backward, and downward vision sensors for obstacle avoidance
- Maximum speed of 42.3 mph in Sport mode
A high-performance drone, DJI Mavic Air 2 is the ideal device for aerial filmography, though, you can still race with it. Commanding between 42mph – 50mph high speed, it’s respectable considering you can use it for other functions. The Mavic comes in a compact, portable body. Its propellers are collapsable, which makes it easy to carry and transport in a bag.
Despite its small size, the quad feels pretty solid, evident from its 570g weight. The control range and flight time of the Mavic Air are astronomical, but they are not the most impressive features of the drone. You won’t believe the quality of the camera this quad brings to the table. The camera can shoot 4K videos at 60fps and 48MP stills, delivering professional-level quality that impresses photographers and videographers.
Thanks to the DJI’s Ocusync 2.0 connectivity, the control range is at a whopping 18km with a flight time of up to 34 minutes. Simply the geek’s paradise!
Check out the DJI Mavic Air 2 on Amazon.
Best Budget Option: ARRIS X-Speed 250B
- Simple structure frame installed with tower structure ESC/PDB, easy to assemble and easy to repair. Big inner space, 268mm wheeabase, 6inches propeller and other equipements is compatible.
- The tower comes with integrated OSD, no need to install it separately. The angle of the FPV camera is adjustable from 0 to 45 degree. 4mm thick arms, super strong and durable
- Newly released high efficiency S2205 2300KV motor provides you better performance and longer working life. High safety 4S 1500mah 50C lipo battery
Do you want to compete without breaking your budget? The ARRIS X-Speed 250B is one of the fastest available drones. It is a topper in this category with a lightning speed that tops at 80 kph on S2205 on brushless motors. You can also upgrade the engines to improve their competitive advantage without harming the drone. This drone has an excellent response rate which aids its fast maneuvers with the controller inputs instantly.
The quadcopter is robustly built with frames made from carbon fiber at 1.5mm. Unlike most drones made of aluminum or fiberglass, its build is high quality and resistant to self-destruct after a crash.
What the ARRIS X-Speed 250B can deliver in performance, it cuts down on camera quality. The 700 TVL HD camera is a downgrade on the price range of the drone as it shows only 480p. This is relatively low compared to others of this range with 1080p to 2k cameras. However, considering this is one of the fastest drones within this budget range, you can overlook such minute details. You can purchase the ARRIS X-Speed 250B at $279.
Check out ARRIS X-Speed 250B on Amazon.
Best Travel Choice: Autel Evo Lite+
- 👍【2023 NEWEST LITE PLUS FLY MORE COMBO】Autel EVO lite plus drone is designed for professionals. EVO Lite+ features adjustable f/2.8 to f/11 aperture, three-way Obstacle Avoidance, 6K/30p Video,...
- 👍【1" CMOS SENSOR WITH 20MP CAMERA】Autel lite+ aircraft with a 1-inch sensor, a 20MP camera and a large 2.4μm pixels: Takes photos with a resolution of up to 5472 x 3648, and records 6K video...
- 👍【ADJUSTABLE APERTURE FROM F/2.8-F/11】Autel lite plus foldable drone has the same adjustable aperture as the Autel EVO 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Pro. Flex your creativity with an adjustable aperture...
- 👍【EASY TO USE - ONE CLICK VLOG】 Autel lite+ quadcopter create dramatic, professional-level shots at the touch of a button with four (Flick, Rocket, Fade away, Orbit) automatic shooting modes....
- 👍【FLY SAFE WITH 3-WAY OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE】Autel EVO Lite+ 6K drone is not commonly seen in drones of this size, it incorporates an advanced obstacle avoidance system to keep it safe while...
Speed, quality, camera, and longer flight time are just a few of the features that distinguish the Autel Evo Lite+ as the fastest drone for traveling. One of the significant goals of traveling is to understand a new culture or capture a new way of living. With the Autel Evo Lite+’s 45-minute flight, you can do that for longer than most drones.
It’s a mid-size category for folding at about 4.8 by 3.7 by 8.3 inches when folded. This makes it an ideal fit to carry around while moderately weighing up to 1.8pounds. This has a top speed of 30 mph, which is considerably low compared to the other drones. However, this drone tops all others in terms of speed and performance within this travel category.
With the Lite+, you can record at 6K at 24, 25, or 30fps, 4K, or 2.7K at up to 60fps. There’s also a 120fps option if you set the video resolution down to 1080p. It has a pan range that starts looking straight ahead and tilts downward a full 90 degrees for overhead shots. Hence, you don’t need to tour the location before capturing it all with incredible clarity.
Check out the Autel Evo Lite+ on Amazon.
Best Pro-Racing: Walkers F210 3D
- 【Powerful Motor Design】: With brushless motor plus guard landing cushion frame design, the F210 passed various rigorous reliability tests, which guarantee the racer's high quality and safe flight.
- 【Night vision HD Camera】: The camera has one million pixels, high-definition night vision lens and high-performance sensors, its photosensitive sensors can automatically adjust according to the...
- 【SP Racing F3 Flight Controller】: F210 is safe and anti-crash, easy to install and disassemble. With the latest F3 flight system, the professional speed controller and 5.8G image transmission, the...
- 【Futaba Receiver Supported】: The stand-alone package comes with Futaba receiver which support binding with your own Futaba transmitter easily.
- 【FPV Goggle Support】: Ultra-long transmission range, real-time obtain the flight status and flight data, transmission distance over meters, even in the FPV flight, the screen effects is very...
The Walkers F210 3D is one of the fastest drones on the market today. Explicitly built for racers, this is evident in the features accompanying this quadcopter. Thanks to the build with a streamlined bow design to minimize air resistance in flight and the 2500KV brushless motors, the speed tops at 55 mph.
The combination of lightweight and sturdiness results from the carbon fiber and aluminum alloy used heavily for its making. Also, the tough shell will help maintain in-flight balance to avoid crashes due to the wind.
Further equipped with a high-capacity 4S Li-Po battery pack, the F210 will stay in the air for under 10 minutes. This is enough time to finish a drone race. This drone is not only limited to daytime flight alone; you can also take advantage of the night vision TVL 700 camera to race effectively at night. The camera uses photosensitive sensors with infrared vision for clarity when flying in the dark. A worthy shot for your money!
Check out the Walkers F210 3D on Amazon.
How To Pick The Fastest Drones: Step by Step
- Material quality:
- User needs:
Like most purchases, understanding how much you are willing to splurge will determine what range of drones you will explore. Having clarity on the amount you want to spend helps prevent unnecessary spending. With enough money, you can comfortably buy the cheapest and fastest drones. However, no matter the design, make, or range, you would likely sacrifice some features if you lack the funds.
Much emphasis is on what you need for the drone before making a purchase. Otherwise, you might buy a 10 minutes flight time drone when you need one that can record a whole show at a charge. It would be best to consider the battery and the flight time offered. For racers, prioritizing speed and controller response rate is essential. So, your need for the drone will determine the kind to buy.
The fastest drones often lack quality build because they have been sacrificed to boost the speed. As important as this is, checking for quality options might save you a few extra bucks. Check if there are spare parts for the drone, the kind of GPS tracking offered, live feed, camera, and many more. All these are essential when picking a drone to buy.
Portability is an essential factor to consider when selecting any of the fastest drones. Having a foldable drone automatically enhances portability. The average weight of a drone is between 250-1300 grams. Hence, trying to get something closer to lesser importance might be wise, especially if you are planning to carry it around most time.
What To Know Before Buying Any Of The Fastest Drones
Before buying any of the options listed above, you need to understand the kind of drone you want. Read about the various types, such as RTF (ready to fly), BNF (bind and fly), PNP (plug and play), and ARF (almost ready to fly). All these types are different, and having a proper understanding will help make an informed decision.
Also, there are some specific guidelines stipulated for drone flying. Consider reading about these rules to avoid flouting the law, which may put you in trouble, especially in the US. Also, some countries require you to register your drone before flying them if they are in some weight categories. Ensure to follow all the guidelines within your jurisdiction to avoid issues.
Finally, consider the risks involved in flying drones. Drones are far from being the perfect tech yet. Although there are new improvements to improve stability and better performance, there are still constant reports of drones going AWOL or crashing. Keep this in mind to avoid injuring others, and always fly with safety in mind.
Using The Fastest Drones: What It’s Like
Flying any of the fastest drones is similar to flying a plane in VR mode –fun, thrilling, challenging, immersive, and, most times for drones, very risky. Fast drones are often racing and require extra attention on the controller’s monitor. They are not stabilized, and depending on the flight motion you have embarked on, the sensation may differ.
Taking any of the fastest drones for racing always adds an extra layer of thrill to the flight. You know there is a possibility of a crash if you push the engine too much and want to win the race. Flying a fast drone is worth giving a shot; if you never have, you miss out on a lot of fun.