- The RTX 3070 Ti and RTX 3080 are two GPUs made by Nvidia. The 3070 Ti is the newer model by nine months, though the 3080 is still considered the more powerful GPU of the two. The 3080 was released in the fall of 2020, while the 3070 Ti was released in the spring of 2021.
- Of the two chips, the 3070 Ti is approximately $100 cheaper than the 3080 due to the 3080 having a larger memory, more cores, and higher TDP than the 3070 Ti. These higher specs play a significant role in the 3080’s higher price point.
- While it seems counterintuitive for an older model to outperform the newer one, the 3070 Ti was not meant to directly compete with the 3080. Rather, it was meant to be a mid-tier option between the 3070 and 3080.
Nvidia has two newer GPUs on the market: the RTX 3070 Ti and the RTX 3080. Both serve as precursors to an eventual RTX 4000 that is sure to come, but how do the two stack up against each other? And what are the similarities and differences between the two? Let’s compare and contrast the pros and cons of these two GPUs from Nvidia in an attempt to determine which one is better for you to use. We’ll begin with a side-by-side comparison of their key specs.
3070 Ti vs 3080: Side-by-Side Comparison
|RTX 3070 Ti GPU||RTX 3080 GPU|
|Release date:||May 31, 2021||September 17, 2020|
|Memory size:||8GB GDDR6X||10GB GDDR6X|
|Memory clock speed:||1.188GHz||1.188GHz|
|Boost clock/base clock:||1.77GHz/1.575GHz||1.71GHz/1.44GHz|
3070 Ti vs 3080: What’s the Difference?
Now that you’ve seen a comparison of the 3070 Ti and the 3080 and how their specs stack up against one another, it’s worth breaking down what the key similarities and differences between the two are and what they mean for overall performance.
One of the most obvious differences between the 3070 Ti and the 3080 is the price point. Despite being the newer product, the 3070 Ti is $100 cheaper than the 3080. However, the 3080 is still the best value. How can this be? It has everything to do with the specs outlined above.
Despite being more expensive and more than nine months older than the 3070 Ti, the 3080 has a larger memory size, a larger memory interface, more CUDA cores, and a higher TDP, just to outline a few performance benchmarks. The price might be higher for the 3080, but looking at all these specs, it’s easy to see why that doesn’t automatically make the cheaper product the best value. The 3080 is more bang for your buck.
Perhaps even more important than the price is the GPU’s performance. Between the 3070 Ti and the 3080, which boasts the best performance? Looking at the similarities and differences in speed, compatibility, and how well each handles running applications, the answer will become clear.
CUDA cores are one of the most important determining factors for a GPU’s performance capabilities. These CUDA cores are what actually process the graphics, making them an extremely significant benchmark in things like speed, compatibility, and application performance. Because the 3080 has far more CUDA cores, it can safely be assumed that it has better performance. Beyond this, the 3080 also has a bigger memory size and memory interface, which allow the CUDA cores to work even faster and more efficiently.
Beyond this, the 3070 Ti has the lower TDP — this means that the 3080 will be able to run applications faster, but the 3070 Ti will remain cooler in temperature.
Lately, one of the more common reasons for buying a GPU has to do with mining cryptocurrency. Nvidia understands this, and as such, they’ve introduced something called lite hash rate technology, or LHR, on its recent GPUs. LHR gives the GPUs the ability to know if they’re being used for mining crypto, and if it detects the mining process, it cuts its hash rate in half — effectively rendering the crypto mining less profitable. Because both the 3070 Ti and the 3080 are equipped with LHR, neither is really ideal for cryptocurrency mining.
3070 Ti vs 3080: Three Must-Know Facts
- The 3070 Ti was not designed to improve upon the 3080, but rather to form a bridge the gap between the 3070 and the 3080. This is an important thing to consider when looking at the pros and cons, as the 3070 Ti was never meant to be superior to the 3080.
- Determining compatibility requires a lot more than just comparing and contrasting the specs — it’s also important to know the physical size and shape of the GPUs, as well. Before purchasing the 3070 Ti or the 3080, determine what kind of size you’re looking for. (For instance, the 3070 Ti is 267mm x 112mm, while the 3080 is 285mm x 112mm.)
- If you’re planning to use your GPU for gaming, it’s worth noting that the 3080 is capable of running 4K games at 60 frames per second, while the 3070 Ti can only do 60 frames per second at 1440p — its 4K capabilities do not boast such a high FPS.
3070 Ti vs 3080: Which One Is Better? Which One Should You Use?
With all of this in mind, the question remains: Which is better, the 3070 Ti or the 3080? All in all, it’s kind of a difficult question to answer without knowing for certain what exactly you need the GPU for. If you’re going to be gaming, then the 3080 is your best bet. If you’re going to be mining cryptocurrency, then neither will truly get the job done as well as other GPUs. Ultimately, the 3070 Ti has the better price, but the 3080 is the better value for all its advantages over the 3070 Ti. The former might be older than the latter, but that doesn’t mean it’s the worse option.
It’s also worth noting that, given the sheer amount of GPUs being snatched up for crypto mining, you might run into trouble securing either one of these GPUs. If all you can get your hands on is the 3070 Ti, then you might just want to take what you can get and run with it. If you can secure a 3080 at a reasonable price, then the same logic applies.
At the end of the day, the 3080 is the superior GPU in terms of performance, but the 3070 Ti is the more affordable one.
Nvidia RTX 4090 vs. RTX 4080 16GB – See how the newest Nvidia GPUs compare in this side-by-side analysis.
Who Actually Invented Nvidia and When? – Learn all about the contributors and background of Nvidia.
Most Powerful Nvidia GPUs for Work and Play – Check out our top picks for the Nvidia GPUs with the best performance, no matter what you’re using them for.